8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » A new "Carry On" film!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A new "Carry On" film!
Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2008 09:40 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just been reading about the new Carry On film planned to be completed later this year and in the cinemas for early next. I wonder how true to the old formula of sea-side post card humour and inuendo it will be, and whether or not it is likely to be a success.

Carry on Columbus, the last attempt at reviving the series, was a resounding flop so I hear, I never saw it so can't comment. However, the line up for the new outing seems promising, we'll have to wait and see.

Read more about it here; http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7292810.stm

Mike [Cool]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 16, 2008 01:59 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Mike, (Or any of our friends over on the UK side of the pond) ...

Was Frank Thorton (Captian Peacock, "Are You Being Served?"), ever in those Carry On films? I'm a big Thorton fan!

Which reminds me of another question for us ...

A number of the British TV show feature films were released in the UK on Super 8 optical sound ... (Department S, Rising Damp, for instance).. was "Are You Being Served: The Movie" ever released as an optical sound feature?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2008 02:14 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just my opinion of course, but I think the 'Carry On's' were of their time and that time has now passed. How could they be real Carry On films without the likes of Sid James, Kenneth Williams et al. As you say Mike, Columbus was a disaster, even the last 'real' one, Emanuelle was dreadful. The sea-side postcard humour, innuendo and double-entendre has been surpassed by more explicit visuals and dialogue.
I believe they are best remembered, and left at that.
Mal

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 16, 2008 03:40 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Talking about British humor there is one film that has lost none of its appeal made in 1973 by Anglo-EMI and based on the TV series "On The Buses" its called "Holiday On The Buses" its on DVD and filmed in Wales, a very funny film [Big Grin] I would highly recommend.

Graham. [Smile]

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2008 03:59 PM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just watched HOLIDAY ON THE BUSES last night I hired it out as a double feature along with MUTINY ON THE BUSES.

Being a fan of buses and secretly wanting to become a bus driver [Smile] , there films are great! as well as the TV series, I believe you can buy the whole box set from amazon.uk
The Americans made a version olong the lines of the UK one but it was about a guy who was in chage of a lost and found desk in a bus depot I think it was called LOTS OF LUCK.

Pat [Smile]

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 16, 2008 08:24 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some Americans made "Lotsa Luck". The rest of us were busy doing other stuff. I was 11 at the time and just trying to survive elementary school.

I remember it being a funny show that didn't last very long.

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0069603/

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2008 08:39 PM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Patrick,I picked up the "On the Buses" trilogy at the Warehouse for six dollars! [Wink]

--------------------
Trevor

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 16, 2008 09:38 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! What about Frank Thornton?!

--------------------

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2008 11:59 PM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You did well Trev! [Smile]
Pat

--------------------

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted March 17, 2008 04:11 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi

Frank Thornton only appeared in one "Carry On."

This was "Carry On Screaming" made in 1966.

Maurice

--------------------
Maurice

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 17, 2008 06:31 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mal, like you I think that the Carry On series was very much a product of its time and the films need to be viewed with that in mind. I really don’t think a new film, made to the same formula would be a success in today’s world, and if it isn’t made to the same formula could it really be called a Carry On film?

The original team with Sid James, Hatty Jakes, Kenneth Williams, Joan simms et al. had a fantastic chemistry between them which made these unbelievably low budget films work, we forgave them the poor sets and week storylines because we were watching the films to see these marvellous comedy actors.

I look forward to seeing the new outing, but rather feel that if it is written to the same formula it will have limited appeal to a new audience, and if it isn’t, it simply won’t be a Carry On.

Maurice, I had forgotten that Frank Thornton appeared in Carry On Screaming. Screaming is one of my favourite Carry Ons, and one of only two that I have on Super 8.

Might be time to get it out for an airing I think…

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted March 17, 2008 07:11 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here Here Mike well said, they really are a wonderful heritage and I think like many others if you are feeling low or a bit wieghed down by things. Pop one of these on and bobs your uncle. Instant lift.
I actually really think Terry Scott although not a major regular was superb in the roles he took.
Even Frankie Howerd as Mr Biggar another just popping in. " Think that nothing will happen to you, and nothing will" crash as he falls of the back of the stage, also Joan Simms was simply a delight as the meek deaf aide to Mr Bigger. Etc Etc Etc.
Wonderful. Best Mark.

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 17, 2008 09:02 AM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watched '...Screaming' a couple of nights ago.
Frank Thornton's small role was very similar to the one he later played in 'Are you Being Served'.

Osi, Frank Thornton is still appearing on British TV in a long-running BBC comedy series called 'Last Of The Summer Wine'
Mal

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 18, 2008 01:31 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OSI, reporting from a friends house while on vacation!

Hey, I caught a few of those on PBS television. I was wondering if these were repeats from a few years ago, or if they are still making episodes of this great show?!

We watch it every Saturday night. Fun, light hearted comedy.

though I miiss the "scruffy" one!

For that matter, how many years has "Last Of The Summer Wine" been produced? I hear that it's just about the longest running UK comedy. Is that true?

--------------------

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2008 03:37 PM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the scruffy one was called COMPO, used to run down here weeknights before the 6pm news, a real classic show, I remember also Stephen Lewis who is in ON THE BUSES as INSPECTOR BLAKE is in LAST OF THE SUMMER WINE as SMILER and goes around with AUNTY WAINWRIGHT from the second hand shop.
Pat

--------------------

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2008 03:46 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last Of The Summer Wine began in January 1973, initially as a one- off, but it soon developed into the still-running series.
Bill Owen, who played 'Compo' -the scruffy one- died in 1999.
Mal
p.s What happened to the 'Carry On' topic? [Smile]
Mal

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 19, 2008 04:32 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno ...

but why don't we just "carry on"?

--------------------

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2008 10:05 PM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill "Compo" Owen was in "Carry on Sergeant" the very first film in the series.

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 20, 2008 03:57 AM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I reckon "That's Carry on" gives enough of each film-the jokes are rather laboured nowdays. [Wink]

--------------------
Trevor

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted March 20, 2008 07:09 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was a kid I enjoyed the CARRY ON films. But, I'm afraid the proverbial wild horses couldn't drag me to see one nowadays. My missus, on the other hand, loves 'em!!
She's British, I'm Irish - maybe that explains it!!!!!

-Mike

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 20, 2008 11:38 AM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hijack the thread, but to return to 'Last Of The Summer Wine' it was announced today that Brian Wilde who played Foggy Dewhurst (one of the three main characters) died in his sleep today aged 80.
Mal

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC