8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Richard Widmark

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Richard Widmark
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 27, 2008 06:11 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard Widmark passed away yesterday at his home in Connecticut.
I always liked him. He turned in an intense performance no matter what role he was playing. My favourite of Richard's many films is 'The Bedford Incident' where he plays the slightly psychotic Captain of an American Destroyer during the height of the cold war- eventually nuking a Russian submarine and presumably triggering WW3. Great stuff with his close personal friend the great Sidney Poitier playing the role of a magazine reporter on board the vessel.

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/film/2008/03/richard_widmark.html

-

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 27, 2008 06:31 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Paul. An excellent performer in whatever roles he played, be it hero or villian. My favorite role of his was Jim Bowie in The Alamo. Anothre "Star" in the heavens.

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 28, 2008 01:13 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As mentioned "The Alamo" would be the one I remember the most, but who can remember him in the chilling thriller "Coma" 1978 an excellent Super8 digest.

Graham.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 28, 2008 10:54 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
... and for our friends in the UK, one of his later roles was in "Who Dares Wins" (The Final Option), as an american senator or something like that. Not his biggest role, but one of many.

His role in "How the West Was Won", as a truly evil Train track builder was quite memorable, though short.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted March 28, 2008 11:50 PM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He was also in the very last Hammer Film ever released. "To The Devil A Daughter" based on Dennis Wheatley's novel and also starring Christopher Lee.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted March 29, 2008 10:47 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DOWN TO THE SEA IN SHIPS, MADIGAN, THE LONG SHIPS - As a fellow-actor, I will miss him more. I have a friend who knew him. Just a great performer. Like Glenn Ford, superb

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 29, 2008 01:33 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was am interesting piece about Richard Widmark at the end of Fridays "Film Programme" on radio 4, if you're interested you can hear it again for the next few days here; http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/radio4_aod.shtml?radio4/filmprogramme

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC