8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Silvoscreen

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Silvoscreen
Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted August 28, 2008 02:27 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Were any of you members of this site?

What became of it?

-Mike

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 28, 2008 02:46 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There were quite a few of us involved over there. It gradually shifted emphasis (I could have said "focus", yet resisted.) over to video projection and then Mark Sylvester decided he needed the time he put in on it for other responsibilities so it was removed.

It's pretty extensively (...and often not too fondly) discussed here in "General Yak", so I'm sure you can find the whole story by using the "search" up top.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 28, 2008 04:51 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark Sylvester and his family visited me at my home here in Florida a couple of years ago. A very nice chap, and what a great young family he has! We had a very good visit and I showed him my film gear and Panny 700.
I thought 'Silvo Screen' started out as an excellent forum, with a good balance between film and DVD. Mark put an awful lot of work into it, and he posted a lot of really interesting stuff. Unfortunatly there were one or two forum members who delighted in bashing film collectors. They were obviously ex-film collectors themselves, and probably having sold off all their gear and films to jump onto projected DVD, they ridiculed anybody who was still in the film camp. They started to dominate the forum, and possibly that may be part of the reason Mark decided to shut it down.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted August 28, 2008 04:59 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that sounds about what I had. I joined and posted a few times, but, me being 16mm only, I wasn't made to feel welcome. Just wondered what had become of it.

Thanks chaps.

-Mike

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 28, 2008 05:36 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember one of the last things I read there was a few of them having a mean-spirited little chuckle over it being pretty much impossible to watch "Wallace and Gromit" on Super-8 after prints of "Grand Day Out" came to an abrupt end.

For people who shouldn't really have cared what happened over here they sure seem to have paid attention.

Well, maybe sometime I'll thread up my "Grand Day Out", and hoist a glass in their memory!

(Can't do a genuine Bronx Cheer, so the Long Island edition will have to suffice!)

--------------------

peter booth
Master Film Handler

- posted August 29, 2008 05:21 AM      Profile for peter booth   Email peter booth       Edit/Delete Post 
As a member I seem to recall that Mark closed the site due to work commitments.He just had'nt the time to devote to the site.regards,Peter.

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 29, 2008 05:51 AM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You remember correctly Peter.
It's a pity it closed, as Paul says a tiny minority on the forum were anti-film, I can recall just one person in fact.
Mark himself was a good friend of Derek Simmonds and Adrian Simmonds was a supporter and regular contributor to the site. Derann had their own page there so the forum itself wasn't anti-film. Paul Adsett and myself were active members in discussions whether it be about 8mm or dvd.

The mud-slinging was pretty much a two way thing between forums.
It's ironic that this forum is now more acceptable of us using both film and disc for big screen entertainment. (As I have said in the past, dvds on a TV leave me cold)

As Mike and Peter know there is another very small forum that embraces all aspects of collecting be it 8, 9.5, 16mm and disc with no animosity, which is as it should be.
I respect and acknowledge that this forum is primarily for real film so I keep my posts about dvds to the other forum.
Mal

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted September 03, 2008 06:02 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was a member there for quite a while, and I think I gained some 'grudging respect' from the anti-film faction, because I continues to post polite pro-film messages despite the tirade of derision and cynicism that such messages brought.

I must respectfully say that some of the above posts take a rather 'rose tinted' view, as the forum became incredibly hostile towards film collecting, the BFCC organisers and some members here. This forum had no significant involvement in starting this, although some posts here that had nothing to do with Silvoscreen were used to start insulting threads there.

There were at least 3 extremely anti-film persons at the forefront there; someone from Northern Ireland (can't recall his name, many people used nicknames) who posted very surreal messages and particularly disliked Derann and GSs; a bitter guy (also can't recall his name) who used to do the sound recording on some early Classic HC releases on his GS (he made the sarcastic Wallace and Grommit reference mentioned); and Mark himself, who seemed to become very negative partly due to being ripped off in a 16mm transaction. He used to rant about people involved in 8mm that he considered a sort of attention-seeking Mafia, drawing a distinction between himself and people that were not around in "the early days" of film collecting. His more extreme posts even accused collectors of being decadent people spending fortunes instead of "putting food on the table" for their families! Although I acknowledge that he brought Adrian Simmonds on board, no doubt to further Mark's agenda of promoting electronic projection, he previously aggravated Derann staff by making references to what he claimed to have heard from a "little bird", which he never substantiated, but one such reference falsley predicted that Derann was about to pull out of 8mm.

But some of the anti-film derision was relatively innocent posts along the lines of "you're stuck in the past while were embracing all that modern technology has to offer"

I don't think anyone who remembers Silvoscreen in some detail would question the accuracy of the above, and I'm sure Mark would confirm this to anyone that's still in touch with him!

[ September 03, 2008, 10:47 PM: Message edited by: Adrian Winchester ]

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 03, 2008 09:49 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian, I think you have summed the forum up very succinctly. I was one of those people who received more than one personal attack through the postings on the Silvo Screen, and whilst I was a member in the early days, I dropped out of it when the strange cleekyness and hostility began to set in.

It seemed to attract angry people, most of whom had an axe to grind, unfortunately the voices of the decent few like Mal, Paul and yourself were rather lost amongst the vitriol of the majority.

Like you, I think that Paul and Mal are being characteristically generous in their comments.

I was certainly not sorry to hear that it had closed.

As an aside, I think one of the things that makes this forum stand out from the rest is the use of real names – it seems to encourage people to act more decently towards each other. I for one find it difficult to have a frank and honest discussion with someone calling themselves Boxfish, Sunflower or BJ!

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 03, 2008 04:45 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I fully agree with what has been said and it is not a question of either forum surviving or not but simply that the foundations of this group are rock solid.

What I still find hard to understand is why such a division should arise in the first place? Football clubs I can understand but watching movies I cannot!

Mike congrats on post 1200 [Smile]

--------------------
Tony

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 03, 2008 06:13 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's classic tech snobbery.

I bet somewhere around 1966 somebody walked into a photo shop for a couple of rolls of R8 and the clerk said:

"You're not still using that stuff, are you?"

Personally, I'm looking forward to getting a Panny and don't think my 8mm collection has a thing to fear!

People are always taken with the new and the shiny, and that's not always bad. It's just wise to remember not to throw away the classics in the process.

[ September 03, 2008, 07:14 PM: Message edited by: Steve Klare ]

--------------------

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2008 10:27 AM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was a member of that forum but as has been previously stated by others it became very vitriolic towards certain people involved in the film collecting convention fraternity, and actively ridiculed enthusiasts who still used cine equipment. They argued that we did not support our hobby by buying new films and stated that when one dealer did produce a new super 8 projector we did not buy it. There were evidently issues with this machine which did hinder sales. Along with others here I stopped posting as it was no longer a friendly place for cine film enthusiasts. Incidentally I bought one of my Elmos from the chap in Northern Ireland previously mentioned and it is a lovely machine and purrs like a kitten.

Paul.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC