8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Ealing (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Ealing
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 21, 2008 10:51 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think to some extent the UK collectors take their various conventions for granted. I know if I lived there I would be at the BFCC, Blackpool, and Tadley, every year. And the UK is a small country so it does not take that long to drive to any of these venues. We have nothing like that here in the USA, so the UK collectors are really very lucky in that regard.
I think the enthusiasm for cine is intimately connected with having grown up with it and experiencing first hand the times when a Pathescope Ace projecting on an 18 inch screen in the home was something to behold and when a walk down the High Street usually passed a photo shop with a window display of a Bolex M8R or Bell and Howell 606, with shiny aluminum reels, and an assortment of 8mm package films to entice you inside. Having talked to young people about cine, and held classes on the subject, I can tell you that they are very interested in it, and readily appreciate that it is quite a different technology from video. But I doubt that many of them will ever take it up as a hobby as DVD is just so much easier and cheaper.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Christopher P Quinn
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2008 10:58 AM      Profile for Christopher P Quinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with most that has been said on here about the future of the hobby. I am trying to sort out things so i can attend the Blackpool convention this year, i think it's at the Savoy Hotel?? I have never been, so will be exciting. It's a case of use it or lose it for sure, if all the UK guy's on here made it priority to make these conventions i'm sure it would make a difference. We have had our American & European cousins make it, there is no excuse for not going and that includes myself. If it's no longer here then we will feel bad that when it was we neglected it. I am absolutely skint, stony broke, but a credit card visit to Blackpool won't make that much difference to me, so sod it you only live once.

I really enjoyed being at the BFCC this year a great way to meet up with friends, make friends and have a bloody good day out. Lets not loose this, when it's gone i fear that will be it.

Sorting out video still really pushed to find time for anything at the moment, but here's another pic...
Hope it works seems very temperamental this system of putting up pics. [Confused]
Chris.

Is that a GS1200 Motor, quick Craig get it out.

-

--------------------
Chris Quinn Rides again.

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2008 12:02 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris

very impressed that you're thinking about heading for Blackpool, every year at the BFCC Adrian Winchester does a very convincing hard sell on me (that chap should be on commission) but I still haven't made it.

What are the chances of getting the other Lightwater guys up there? The thought of a re-run of the our day at the BFCC would be all it would take to see me booking my ticket!

Mike

ps - anyone know when Tadley is?

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted October 21, 2008 01:33 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,

In the US, don't you have Cinevent and Cinefest annually?

From what I've seen of the photos from Cinevent - there is a lot more film available with Omer Whayne alone taking up a whole room with his prints.

-Mike

Mike Tynus
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2008 01:58 PM      Profile for Mike Tynus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinevent in Columbus is a nice event, but it's mainly 16mm with a little super 8 here and there.
Still I did manage to pick up some nice deals on some standard 8 sound prints and a Kowa 8Z for a mere $50. And they run 16mm film shows throughout the weekend. Quite shocking to see an evil Oliver Hardy attack a woman and attempt to murder Fin in NO MANS LAW!

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted October 21, 2008 02:10 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Much as I enjoy Ealing, it is I feel primarily aimed at the 8mm collector.

Aside from Tony Hutchinson, 16mm is almost an after thought with the dealers.

This, I add, is not a criticism, just an observation.

-Mike

Christopher P Quinn
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2008 05:30 PM      Profile for Christopher P Quinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,
I can remember a lot more 16mm tables when it was a much bigger event. If you wanted laser discs, there were tables for them as well. This was when laser discs were used by the newfangled digital crowd. [Big Grin] Interestingly, now they are collectable like film, maybe it would pay to have a few tables in the next BFCC. Is anyone collecting VHS? apart from my local charity shop.

Mike,
I'm going to make it a weekender, as don't fancy the drive back on the same day. Managed to persuade her in doors that we could take the illumination's in as well. I would like the dinner but may be to late for that i hear it is quite popular.

[ October 22, 2008, 12:01 AM: Message edited by: Christopher P Quinn ]

--------------------
Chris Quinn Rides again.

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2008 02:13 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think our friends "South of the Border" should look upon the Blackpool convention as a "Pilgrimage", just as us "Northerners" do for Ealing. It is something that should be done at least once. You never know you might like it [Big Grin]
Blackpool, for me is, in terms of distance, is like Ealing, to the Lightwater guys. Come on lads, hire a minibus and pays us a visit, we don't eat meat on Sundays anymore, so you will be quite safe, and made very welcome. [Wink]

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2008 05:34 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose, like most other Members, I am deeply saddened at the prospect of things cinematographic waning. - Not only that, but I can't help feeling guilty myself for the lack of attendance on my part. It is unfortunate that the spirit is willing, but business circumstances dictate otherwise.

I just hope against hope that there will still be some conventions to attend by the time my work load diminishes. Each time the BFCC comes around I try my level best to attend, but it really is difficult. That's why I posted a thread in General Yak a few weeks ago (which didn't seem to elicit any response) to try to assure everyone that my interest end enthusiasm has not in the least waned.

I certainly remain an avid enthusiast and hopefully look forward to our continued existence.

Kev, - for once I hope you are wrong - but I fear not!

Best,

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2008 07:14 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some good responses there chaps. I'm going to do whatever I can to get to Blackpool and Mr. Wilton wants to do that same. So if anyone is going up from the London area and can give ol Wilts' a lift please let me know or give Keith a call.

And on a more positive note... you'll find the 'past events' pages of www.bfcc.biz up to date with pictures from Saturday's convention.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Bart Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2008 08:58 AM      Profile for Bart Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Bart Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
3rd & 4th picture down on page 2 is my old friend Ray Bruno. I'm sure he owes me a fiver!

--------------------
www.bluecinetech.co.uk

Colin Robert Hunt
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2008 10:08 AM      Profile for Colin Robert Hunt   Author's Homepage   Email Colin Robert Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Me & the wife enjoyed the day. The film shows spot on. Did like the Charlton Heston tribute, one of my favourite actors. Managed to sell off some films on the Bring & Buy, so very please d for that. Personaly did not notice less people there. Did notice driving down the roads where empty and the car park at Ealing not busy. Many Thanks to Keith Wilton for the great tribute shows, and to Paul for the 3D show. Also Thanks to John C & Suzie, John Bird for being so happy.Mark W and anyone else for there effort in making this yet another day to remember.

Christopher P Quinn
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2008 10:51 AM      Profile for Christopher P Quinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Keith, Maybe we could meet up for a chat, be nice to meet up with forum members. Have you got the number to phone for the dinner, i know could be to late, but just in case.

John,
Meet up for a coffee?

Chris.

--------------------
Chris Quinn Rides again.

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2008 02:24 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the subject of the 'future of the hobby' I think a big problem is the lack of a new Super 8mm machine. I think this will turn off any newbies coming in. Several times people have seen my set up and been interested there are new prints available but any interest they might be raising is instantly quashed when you tell them there's no new hardware ( correct me if I'm wrong.) You can buy a brand new 78rpm wind-up record player, funnily enough. I believe they are made in the Czech Republic. Plenty of vinyl turntables too, high quality. You can even get new parts for classic cars. What we need is some enterprising person to buy up those Elmo designs - and how expensive could that be - and set up a nice little run of new projectors from China or Eastern Europe. Hey, it's an idea...

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted October 22, 2008 03:19 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I`d always thought a good option was for classic or someone to hoover up ST600 and 180,s twon tracks and fit a trans and the GS lamp, set a stereo out to amp and refurbish properly and well for £350-£500 in tip top order with a decent gaurantee.
Once people get in to projecting in HD digital etc etc its surprising how many shekels they will shell out so who knows.
Surely do-able and a winner I reckon, of course I prefer 600 feet capacity anyway myself. But be a good long term machine option.
Best Mark.

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2008 06:29 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice idea Mark but Phil Sheard of Classic tried about 6 years ago to produce a brand new machine and look what happened there.
Admittedly the price tag of £2500 was off-putting, but at that time collectors were still paying about half that for 25-year old GS 1200's.
Phil said at the time that finance deals would be offered and spare parts available for at least 10 years. Considering what some people (not just 8mm to dvd converts) pay for digital projectors today with their relatively short life span, in retrospect that deal could have worked out.
Mal

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted October 23, 2008 02:53 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How much would you be willing to pay for a brand new 8mm projector, folks?

-Mike

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2008 03:43 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly I think £600 is about all you could charge for a new machine to make it successful. So for us enthusiasts it would mean a predominantly plastic cheapy that probably wouldn't last too long. I'm still a big fan of the prototype Phil had produced by Fumeo - that had major potential and I think in production form would have been the best Super 8 projector ever available.

So, anyone else going to get to Blackpool?

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2008 03:49 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to Keith and John etc for another superb day out,it has been mentioned that attendance was down but the thing I did notice that the screenings throughout the day were better attended than ever,you had to get in about 10 minutes early to guarantee getting a good seat!!

Loved the 3D show especially,havent seen clips from THE MAD MAGICIAN for years.

Looking forward to the next one already.

I too will do my upmost to attend Blackpool this year too.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted October 23, 2008 04:38 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am trying to convince the missus that we should go, so, we'll see.

Hopefully, yes, as I haven't been to Blackpool before.

-Mike

Rob Koeling
Master Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2008 12:01 PM      Profile for Rob Koeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also enjoyed the day enormously. The disadvantage of having a table is that you don't see much of the shows. But dispite the slightly lower numbers, stuff disappeared from the table swiftly! There is now plenty of space for new material.

I do agree with Michael that Ealing seems to cater better for the (S)8mm collector, than 16mm, but having said that, most of the times I attended, I managed to pick up at least one print I was very pleased with. Though, not this time. On previous occasions I spent most of my money at Tony Hutchinsons table, but his selection was limited this time. I have no worries that that will be better next time (and I'm sure that next time I will compensate by buying more than I am supposed to do).

People who sell their their stuff on Ebay, should really consider getting a table in Ealing next time. If you think you haven't got enough to put on the table, maybe try to arrange something with 1 or 2 other forum members. It is nice to sell to people directly. Ebay's fees are getting ridiculous anyway. This was the 3rd or 4th time I had a table (with Mike) and I was pleased with the results every time. At some point you get so many things that you don't really watch anymore. Then it is time to move it on and get something new. A convention is a great opportunity for doing exactly that. It is also nice to chat with all those people we know from either the forum or from buying/selling in the past.
Another great job Keith Wilton and John Clancy and all those other people who make it possible. Bring on the next one!

- Rob

Christopher P Quinn
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 25, 2008 08:48 PM      Profile for Christopher P Quinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You should have mentioned Rob that Mike brought along his backup GS1200 for the day, box and all. It came out of the box for a very brief three to four minutes but as soon as anyone came within a few feet of it, it went back in the box and was carefully concealed away. I asked Mike if he was planning on selling and his answer was yes, then no, then a maybe. Then he asked us all if he should, with those please tell me not to eyes, so we did and it went back home. Where i am sure it is best left.

We did have some fun.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Chris Quinn Rides again.

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 26, 2008 02:52 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris

Well at least it had a nice day out in the smoke [Big Grin] .

You'll be pleased to know it's back in its box again waiting for that fateful day when GS1200 #1 packs up, which, contrary to common speculation about these "mine fields of electro jiggery pokery" hasn't happened yet...

Having said that I'd better go touch some wood or boil a rabbits foot or something! [Roll Eyes]

Mike [Cool]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Christopher Way
Film Handler

- posted October 27, 2008 07:16 PM      Profile for Christopher Way     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
May I take this opportunity to add my views or opinions on this matter. I have asked the question about making the weekends longer, with more activity involved. Make it more of a weekend meeting, with other things thrown in for good meausre. The emphasis seems to be that some think it is too far to travel for a day visit, some say it costs too much for a day visit, etc etc. Others have said that could more be added, like a full length film in the evening, etc etc.

I have asked on one or two occasions about moving the Blackpool BFCC meeting to October, but have been told it clashes with the October Ealing meeting. Most are in agreement that not enough are attending the meetings. So why not have just the one Ealing meeting in May, with the Blackpool meeting in the October. By this for the October meeting other highlights could be added such as the Blackpool lights, the front, amusements, shows etc. This would make a worthwhile weekend, arriving Friday night, or Saturday if you live closer, and leaving Sunday. Likewise with the Ealing meeting, this could be made into a weekend, where one could take in other amenities in London. As I said, on both venues a full length feature film could be shown, or a show as in the hey days of cinema.

The cost of entry is sometimes the factor mentioned. Lower the entrance fee, but maybe charge stall holders, or a percentage of takings (dont bite my head off, this just an idea/opinion).

I attend many weekend meetings for other organisations such as Navy, Holiday Travel, Sea Cadets. These use to be on a particular day, but now we make it a weekend. By contacting hotels we normally get good prices on a bulk booking, or as in the case of Blackpool nice little guest houses.

It is feasible, and worth a look at if the present trend is going to continue, and the BFCC meetings loses more visitors. It is time to promote it up a bit more as they say.

Just my thoughts, I can assure you.

Regards, Chris

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC