8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » 2nd try - short film I made abouts silents

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 2nd try - short film I made abouts silents
Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 01, 2009 01:36 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK so this is a revised version of my short film about my love for silents...The name no longer makes sense since I had to remove the Dylan song Subterranean Homesick Blues and replace it with one of my own acoustic songs recorded on a boombox, but at least they can't pull the plug because of the audio copyright nonsense...Oh and it is a pretty big file so if you have a slow connection I would advise letting the red bar load completely before playing to get a smooth presentation,....

Pennebaker Blues (clean audio version)

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

|  IP: Logged

Antonis Galanakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 01, 2009 01:16 AM      Profile for Antonis Galanakis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Dino nice work! Thumbs up!
I was the No 1 viewer! Mostly I liked the ending titles, like the video clip of B.Dylan. You are a rocker! Keep up the good work.
Antonis

Damien Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 01, 2009 05:07 AM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This video was really good Dino. I don't mean to troll, but I've always felt the creativity of early film was more due to the novelty of the new art form.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 01, 2009 10:21 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Damien I think that is part of the beauty of film overall is that it is a 1:1 relationship with the viewer and there really are no absolutes...My video was just done in fun (my own little satirical stab at "the talkies") and I obviously watch a lot of sound films or I couldn't have found those clips....so your point is perfectly valid. [Smile]

--------------------

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 01, 2009 05:30 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino,

Nice job! There are probably a lot of silent films I would really enjoy if I saw them. One of my favorites films is Battleship Potemkin. But I guess my knowledge of the silents doesn't go to far beyond what is well known.

I am a big fan of Hitchcock and Brian Depalma who both tell their stories with the camera and the visual so I need to check out some more silents.

Please recommend a few that I should check out.

Bill

Wayne Tuell
Master Film Handler

- posted November 01, 2009 08:20 PM      Profile for Wayne Tuell   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Tuell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino, the big question is....WHAT DO YOU WANT...

Nice job. [Smile]

--------------------
www.16mmDrive-InFilms.com

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 01, 2009 10:29 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Dino, the big question is....WHAT DO YOU WANT...
Well, I guess I'd say I would want to see a resurgence of the medium of film, because the truth is I really like all kinds of film, sound and silent...I mean I had clips from Blair Witch 2 and Virus in there so clearly I am not watching exclusively classics.

Bill since you like the mystery stuff I would say check out the German expressionistic films and you will feel right at home since Hitchcock and DePalma share some of the stylized aesthetics of those films...Of the classics if you haven't seen Last Laugh and Pandora's Box I would suggest those...Last Laugh is told almost exclusively visual w/o titles and Pandora's Box features a very modern performance from Louise Brooks which often polarizes silent films fans...For lesser knowns I would say Warning Shadows which is also a German film, and A Cottage on Dartmoor a late era British mystery that is only recently getting the attention it deserves. ..Hope those help

--------------------

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2009 01:09 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino,

Thanks for your suggestions. I will be looking for these titles to check out.

Here is a partial list of silent films I have in various formats

• BATTLESHIP POTEMKIN (super 8/Reg 8/VHS)
    METROPOLIS (DVD/VHS)
    WAXWORKS (VHS)
    BIRTH OF A NATION (VHS)
    INTOLERENCE (VHS)
    NAPOLEON (1927) (VHS) restoration
    THE LODGER (DVD/VHS)
    NOSFERATU (DVD)
    EASY VIRTUE (DVD)
    THE FARMERS WIFE (DVD/VHS)
    THE RING (DVD)
    THE MANXMAN (DVD/VHS)
    THE GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY (super 8)
    THE BLOCK SIGNAL (reg 8)
    and about 3 hours of misc shorts on VHS
Many of them are very facinating.
Bill

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC