8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » From 8 to 16 (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: From 8 to 16
Damien Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2009 05:19 PM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The range of TV stuff can be very, very good on 16, as it was the original distribution format.

|  IP: Logged

Oemer Yalinkilic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 03, 2009 01:58 AM      Profile for Oemer Yalinkilic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have few Twilight Zone Episodes on 35mm, that is much better than 16mm prints, and this was used for TV too.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted November 03, 2009 02:28 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great titles on 16mm over 1000, Osi?? I can't agree with that but, it would depend on what you call a "great title" I guess.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted November 03, 2009 03:33 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen good condition Lucasfilm material (SW, IJ) go up to 2400 euros. That sum was for a pristine print of Empire. Paul Foster sold a print of SW on Ebay for 1500 euros on Ebay a couple of years ago.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 03, 2009 03:44 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, as for super 8 I think it depends on titles/their rarity (limited number of prints?) and on their condition...

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted November 03, 2009 03:49 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like I said, Jean-Marc, it depends on what you call a "great title"!!
[Wink]

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 03, 2009 04:11 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't limit your formats or sell off those of your former format, you may well regret it.

I bought titles I was after on 9.5mm for several years until I finally got a projector to run them on.

When I swung to 16mm, I did leave my Super 8 for a while and even sold some, but I am glad I kept most of it. That was back in 1984!

David

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 03, 2009 04:21 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, about me... I'm not leaving super 8 at all and not selling A SINGLE print I own (considering how hard and expensive was to create my collection).

My idea is to add 16mm prints to 8 ones. I suppose a lot of members here already do it, am I right?

--------------------

Fabrizio Mosca
Master Film Handler

- posted November 03, 2009 06:45 AM      Profile for Fabrizio Mosca   Email Fabrizio Mosca   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gian, pay attention that with 16mm you're not able to dub them, unless you find someone that may put magnetic stripe on it and then dubs it. Then you don't have stereo sound (in Italy only some films printed by SanPaoloFilms were in stereo, but projectors are really rare).
Furthermore, it's true you have more choice on 16mm prints, but they have worked into projectors much more than super8 prints and the risk of splices, lines and perforation damage is very high. Even last batch of italian 16mm prints from SanPaoloFilm have problem with green lines/dots troughout the print because they started to run into projectors even if prints weren't completely dry.
It's true you have a better definition, but if you're in Derann/CHC prints and expect a better quality from a 16mm, then you may be disapponted for at least 80% of films you may find.

I don't know if other collectors agree with my point of view, but collecting 16mm puts you in a different behaviour than collecting super8 or 35mm, you simply have different standards and evaluate prints in a different way.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted November 03, 2009 06:56 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I absolutely agree with Fabrizio.

It's a different ball game. 16mm prints have been used differently than Super 8 have.

They are evaluated differently. There are tons of poor dupes out there, but there are also some beautiful originals that do not cost the earth.

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 03, 2009 08:02 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks you guys. Thanks Fabrizio.
I know more or less all limits of 16mm prints/machines (expecially if I think about what was printed and distributed here in Italy) if compared to top quality 8mm copies and projectors.

I'm anyway considering movies in original language too, in case. I know in USA there are still excellent (and sometimes recent) titles available. But, once more, I really do like to read about your opinions. They're very helpful.

--------------------

Fabrizio Mosca
Master Film Handler

- posted November 03, 2009 09:01 AM      Profile for Fabrizio Mosca   Email Fabrizio Mosca   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gian, maybe the best thing is having a look at ebay, paul foster, etc. and write down what you're looking in 16mm, considering also the general condition of the copy. Then you may decide if going on in 16mm collecting.

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 03, 2009 09:32 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your suggestion, Fabrizio.
Ciao.

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC