8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » From 8 to 16 (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: From 8 to 16
Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 01, 2009 05:41 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thinking in moving soon from 8 to 16mm. Taking, so, a little rest from 8mm. The main idea is to buy an Elmo 16CL XENON (there's already one waiting for me behind the corner).

I would be happy to receive some info about this machine, pics too if available, from other members who have or know this projector. Consider I never had or used a 16mm machine before. Well, After 30 years I've been dealing with super 8 ones, I don't think it would be so complicated or impossible, isn't it?

Thanks guys.

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 01, 2009 05:56 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gian,

Having 16mm for the first time of course you will be amazed with the picture. (similar when we moved from LD/VHS to DVD).

But then you have to think carefully about storage.

And for my self there is a personal reason, i.e is about the art of front cover. 16mm films do not come with this but only can by can. It is quite boring for me, sspecially because I don't always have enough time to play the projector. So in my limited time I just watched the 8mm artwork boxes [Wink]

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 01, 2009 05:59 PM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Elmo 16-CL Xenon (I assume you mean the black one?) is a 250W Xenon projector. Puts out about 1800 Lumens (similar to the GS-1200 Xenon). Nice machine, but one thing to check before buying one - make sure that the belt inside the rear take up arm is the plastic belt with Teeth, not the cloth belt. The cloth belt models have a rubber gasket at the bottom pulley that turns to goo over time. If the projector has the old kind of belt, you will need to have the whole take up belt and pulley system replaced. I don't know if Elmo still sells the parts - but you might be able to get them from ICECO or Larry Urbanski.

The later Elmo CX-350 and CX-550 machines all have the newer toothed belt.

You won't have any problem using the projector - these are slot loads - you just pull the film through the slot and you are ready to go. One really nice thing is that they are easy to unthread if you want to stop in the middle - something that is much harder to do on an autothread projector.

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 01, 2009 06:13 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steven makes two important points about slot loads.

1. You can easily remove film at any time during the reel.

2. You simply drape the film through the channel and lock it in with the lever.

Don't underestimate point 2, I got so tired of fixing leaders so they would thread correctly in an auto-load, one miss-thread and the leader would buckle and need to be replaced. Tape on the leader was always a problem too, not with a slot loader, just pass it through and away you go.

David

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 01, 2009 06:15 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert, Steven
thanks a lot for your posts.

Winbert, a friend of mine is a real magician in building box with nice artworks. This won't be a real problem. I know what you mean, anyway. All my 8mm movies are actually stored in boxes, from tiny 200feet clamshells for trailers to huge box for full features, sometimes mounted on 1200ft reels. I hope,in case, he will be in a position to make me good boxes for the new arrivals in bigger format.

Steven, thanks for all info. I still don't know if the one I will buy is black. I will ask to the guy who will probably sell the CL about the belt you are referring to. And if you guys have all additional info or a couple of pictures to post, I would be very happy [Razz] .

--------------------

Oemer Yalinkilic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2009 06:37 AM      Profile for Oemer Yalinkilic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Gian,
this is the way who go every S8 collector one day, maybe Iīm the only one, who go a step back and start again to collect Super8.
I sold my Elmo 16CL Xenon to Kevin, he can confirm that this is realy one of the best machines for 16mm. I like a little bit more a Bauer Selecton but the Xenon Machines of them are a little bit bulky.
But I think you go a better way if you use Super 8 and 35mm.
They are also many nice portable 35mm machines.
I can say 16mm is only a compromise, if a feature is very important for you and you need the best quality, you must have it on 35mm otherwise is Super 8 much better to handle and you can watch a movie in Stereo with italian sound.
The difference between a very good Super 8 print and 16mm is not to much. You can belive me because I had in the past many of the same movies on Super 8 later on 16mm and now on 35mm.
I want make next Time a experiment, I want borrow from a friend the Derann print of Horror of Dracula, I have already a 16mm and a 35mm Technicolor print of them. I want screen all 3 prints together to see how different are the quality.
I want use for this Test a Elmo GS 1200 and a Elmo 16CL (not Xenon) and my 35mm machine Philips FP3.
The only think I miss is the Xenon light but you have now a GS 1200 Xenon, I think you donīt need 16mm.
Best regards
Oemer

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2009 07:03 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've only been collecting 16mm for 9 years now. Prior to this I've been collecting 8mm for over 40 years. The benefit to 16mm is that you get a bigger throw with a nice clear picture. The DISadvantages are (1) Expensive format to collect, (2) Many if not most prints are former tv station, library or rental prints that have taken quite a beating, (3) No collectible boxes - just big reels that don't make for much of a display on a bookcase.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted November 02, 2009 07:05 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing there, Oemer - it depends upon what films one collects. Most of what I'm interested in are silent era up to the 40's. These are extremely hard to find, if at all available, in 35mm.

For this era, considering the number of prints available in all four gauges, I have found 16mm to be best.

-Mike

Damien Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2009 07:42 AM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can always collect both [Big Grin]

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2009 08:09 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oemer, Damian, Brad, Michael and David-

Thanks for all info and for all your interesting posts. I have to say that I'm not moving to 16 because I dream about a 'better definition of images' while screening. No no, nothing to do with this.

After 30 years I've been spending by collecting 8mm machines and movies I just would like to try the 16mm experience.
Oemer, I know I have just bought a very good 8mm projector (I'm referring to Ugo's Xenon) but the point is that I'd like to have titles that are not available on 8mm and, for several reasons, it seems it could be easier to find on 16.

So, Damien's statement is simple and clear. And it is probably what I will do. Collecting both formats.

Oemer, it would be great to collect 35mm and to have a portable projector. The main problem, my dear friend, is room.
It's already hard to store all my super 8. It would be the beginning of an extra problem to store 16mm machines and prints, when and if coming. But I know myself: I will keep going on in buying and buying and buying. And 35mm prints would be IMPOSSIBLE to store at home. That's why I'm quite sure I will have soon my first 16mm machine. And I'll stop there.

I like to read about Jean-Marc, for example, when he writes about his wonderful 35mm prints. But I think he has enough room, somewhere in Paris, to store all movies. And to screen them.
I personally don't. That's why I would consider this 'new experience' exactly the way I'm talking about it: NEW EXPERIENCE (and probably new titles to add to my super 8 collection). And if I won't like it? Well, I could sell everything!

I like your points of view, anyway. Just write them down!

--------------------

Oemer Yalinkilic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2009 08:27 AM      Profile for Oemer Yalinkilic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Every collector have different requirements for his favorite genre and of his projection room.
The bigest problem is to find the right equipment for home use in 35mm but if you have it, than is 16mm no more necesery.
Yes of course, if you are looking for a special title, so you must take what you can get.
Itīs realy hard to find silent features on 35mm safety stock.
As I decide to sell my Elmo 16CL Xenon I watched a scope print of Armagedon, it was very nice after that I watched a LPP 16mm print of Return of the Jedi and I thought my old Super 8 print was not more bad than this 16mm print.
I noticed for my self, Iīm unhappy with every Cinemascope print on Super 8 and also on 16mm, this must be only 35mm.
16mm black and white original prints are on 16mm good enough and the image is sharp like a 35mm print also Technicolor british IB prints.
If you like Disneys like Pochachontas and The Beauty and the Beast, is a Super 8 the first choice becaouse you have a Stereo sound.
What I mean is, if you looking for the perfect print, is 16mm only a compromise and not the solution.
I started to collect film with Super 8 than 16mm and finaly 35mm but I owen prints in every gauges.
Some S8 prints are enough for me and I have some 16mm prints I keep them until I find a 35mm print of this title.

Gian: I have also space problems, and as I get my first 35mm projector, I thought I want never collect 35mm.
But 35mm is also in a smal room possible, you need only the right equipment.
For Super 8 is GS1200 Xenon great and if you own a Elmo 16CL Xenon, it is perfect for 16mm.
If you want 35mm, you need a machine like my Philips FP3, this is noisy like a 16mm machine, you can splice a feature on 2 reels like the Elmos I use for the other gauges.
I will make some pics, how I store my 35mm equipment.
See you later
Oemer

Damien Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2009 08:36 AM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad said this once somewhere, but if you store 35mm films on 2000 foot reels, you will run into trouble, if you store them on 6000 foot reels you can really pack them in.

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2009 08:44 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, once again thanks for all info about 35mm. But the thread would be intended for the passage from 8 to 16. I wouldn't take the KING OF KINGS format into consideration. At least by now [Wink] .

--------------------

Oemer Yalinkilic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2009 09:13 AM      Profile for Oemer Yalinkilic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gian,
King of King is 70mm.
I donīt take a 35mm print in my collection if that was shot in 70mm, because it is only in 70mm original. Only exception in my collection is Raintree county this was shot with Camara 65 but this was never released on 70mm
[Wink]

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2009 09:14 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah ah, sorry Oemer.
I forgot the BIG king eh eh. You are right!

--------------------

Damien Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2009 09:16 AM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No problem Gian. I started with 35mm, however there isn't the greatest amount of stuff over here, and shipping can be quite expensive. So I ventured into 16mm for a while, until I saw an ad in the local trading post for some films. I went over the guys house and "some films" turned out to be boxes and boxes of shorts and many mini features. So I bought everything and have been casually over the last couple of years cleaning it up and watching it. Unfortunately the previous owner had put all the features onto modified 2000 foot 16mm reels, as he must have owned or built a long play unit. So I have never actually seen a vast majority of my own collection [Roll Eyes]

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2009 09:19 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I started with 35mm, however there isn't the greatest amount of stuff over here, and shipping can be quite expensive.
Damien, are you actually after 35?

--------------------

Damien Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2009 09:25 AM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I'm still into my 35. I work as a projectionist anyway, so I get my fix of trailers and whatnot. I quietly lurk on the 35mm boards waiting for a print so good I'll invest in shipping down under.

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2009 10:58 AM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gian,
Here's a picture of the black 16-CL Xenon machine. (Thanks to Mike Coffin for the picture!)

http://www.16mm-films.net/nov09/DSC00307.JPG

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2009 11:02 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steven (and Mike, of course), thanks a lot.
It looks so GREAT. Wow [Eek!] !

--------------------

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2009 12:03 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gian
Yes I think you will enjoy 16mm, as it has its benefits...I personally collect all gauges from 8mm to 35mm (which includes 9.5 [Big Grin] ) I have close to 500 16mm prints and would be in a heap load of trouble if I didn't work for an archive to store them....Back when I was dating my wife I was afraid to let her come to my apartment because it was all film, everywhere you looked. The prices are rarely cheap for 16mm on good clean prints unless you find things not from ebay, and I have found that condition information is often underestimated on 16mm where as the small gauge folks have actually watched their prints and know how they look....That being said I am sure everything I have said can be argued, as we all have different experiences, but welcome aboard, and I am jealous you will start right off with the Elmo Xenon, I just use the standard CL's just like I use the ST-1200's....Let me know what types of things you are looking for and maybe I'll try to send you a starter film.

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2009 12:27 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks a lot Dino.
And it's pretty funny to imagine your apartment full of movies everywhere. I can say mine is more or less the same (probably everyone's here on the forum eh eh eh). Very similar to a bazar! Movies, projectors, dvds, VHS tapes, records everywhere.
As soon as I will have my first 16mm projector I will let you know.
Did you have my mail? Your GIRL AND HER TRUST (sound) has left Italy today.
Next parcel to fly will be Winbert's.

--------------------

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2009 12:46 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gian,

quote:
Movies, projectors, dvds ,VHS tapes, records everywhere

Boy, you hit the nail on the head!

That's my house. I think you will enjoy both formats...I do!

Bill

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2009 02:09 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah ah ah!
I think a lot of us could state HEY, THAT'S MY HOUSE. Imagine if everyone would post here a picture of a single corner in which our beloved treasured are stored [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] !

About you wishes... Thanks, I'm sure I will!

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 02, 2009 04:39 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll admit that there is more of a variety on super 8, (especially when it comes to old TV shows), but I have little enough room for Super 8 as it is, so 16Mm is out of the question ...

That, and the great titles on 16MM can be way over 1,000.00, way above my game!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC