8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » advice on ebay

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: advice on ebay
Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted September 15, 2012 10:16 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the cutoff time for placing a bid on Ebay, as I have placed
bids in the last minute that haven't been recognised.

|  IP: Logged

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted September 15, 2012 10:34 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The cutoff is the end time of the auction. Unless there is a system problem...you should be able to enter a bid until the last second.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted September 15, 2012 11:25 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Janice,I've tried that on two occasions and my bid failed to appear,even though I had gone through the signing in process
the bids failed to register and the items involved were lost.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted September 15, 2012 12:44 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why not use sniping software, Hugh?

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted September 15, 2012 01:02 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Michael,I haven't a clue what that is.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted September 15, 2012 01:05 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use these guys.
http://www.justsnipe.com/

Have a look.

Sniping allows you to enter a maximum bid with them which they will then use to bid with automatically in the last seconds of the auction.

John Davis
Master Film Handler

- posted September 15, 2012 01:05 PM      Profile for John Davis   Email John Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apologies if this is a daft question but how good is your internet speeds?

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted September 15, 2012 01:14 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hugh

I had the same problem a few months back. I have an Elmo SD1200 projector up for auction. There were 15 people watching at and it only sold for 78.00. There was a glitch in ebys system and other bidders couldn't get their bids in. So I got royaly screwed because the projector would have sold for at least 200.00 with that many people watching it. When I called ebay they gace me the usual bulls**t that they couldn't do anything for me and the transaction was valid. So I was oblighte to ship it. We are subject to server problems when we do anything online.

PatD

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted September 15, 2012 06:25 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember that episode Pat, and it was a bitter pill for you to
swallow apart from being damned unfair.I/ve only just started
with ebay,and it might be a short term relationship,as I missed
out on a 16mm film that didn't register my bid and a little
8mm sound machine I lost through the same caper,apart from
the sellers loss,like your goodself,that lost nearly double what the
proj. sold for. I don't need help in incompetence where computers
are concerned,I seem to have cornered that,but it seems I'm going to be overwhelmed by ebay's half arsed attempt as well.
John, as far as I can gather the speeds are quite satisfactory.
Michael,thanks for the info and I'll certainly check it out.

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 17, 2012 11:18 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My opinion, for what it's worth, is either a system problem such as Pasquale experienced -- which appear to be super rare -- or your Internet provider is giving you poor service, which appears to be increasingly common with people I know.

One way I've gauged this over the years is to do a full refresh of the webpage (F5 in Windows) and see how many seconds it takes for a complete reload, and to not bid any closer to the end than that length of time, plus a few more seconds. I also have success with www.auctionstealer.com, but their free version bids early enough to give others who act quickly time to counterbid you.

I have a love-hate relationship with eBay, but because of their enormous "audience," consider them indispensible, for better or worse. And it definitely goes both ways!

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 17, 2012 01:45 PM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Hugh's problem may be the same one that many of are experiencing here in the U.K. There are times when the internet is so "clogged up" that it is impossible to get connected. Part of the trouble is caused by telephone lines being diverted whilst the engineers are converting the copper lines to fibre optics so everything slows down because of the congestion. It has nothing to do with your computer or the broadband hub. At the end of the day, no matter who your provider is, the signal still has to go through the telephone line. The situation is worsened because of the many different ways you can now use the internet, particularly watching films or "catch up T.V" and websites also become overloaded. There are times when I am unable to access this forum.

Manuel Tapia
Film Handler

- posted September 17, 2012 06:23 PM      Profile for Manuel Tapia   Email Manuel Tapia   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i have around 100 Buys, normally i bid my maximun at 8 Seg before end. i never have a problem wiht that, some one use to do it in the last second, i think is to risky, i think less that 5 is too risky and useless, because react in 5 second is too fast for most people.

Last week i bid for 5 apollo 8mm film, i lose 1 because someone bid more than me, i won 3 but one the bid wasn't apply. this is the first time i have a problem biding in the last 8 seg. fourtunatelly the seller was the same so i told him and the include the missing film and he add to the ship cost. i was lucky !

Today i bid for a HD projector. to be sure about i opem 2 windows in bid in both windows wiht the same amount but in the second one plus 1 cent. so the first one i accept the bid in the last 8 second and the second bid in the last 5 seg. in that way is you have a problem in both, you have a very bad luck or you internet connection is a mess.

other thing i noted today was the ebay app in my smartphone was 2 second forward that the internet explorer.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC