8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Employed Again

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Employed Again
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 09, 2013 12:22 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well folks its a far cry from being a projectionist but to the relief of my wife and our dwindling savings I am now back at work.

I got a job driving a small school bus for a bus company and really enjoying it [Cool] I had to resit my driving licence, medical, police checks..etc etc. It took a while to get the paper work sorted out but got there. from being a motor mechanic, aircraft engineer, projectionist, to now a bus driver I have been very very lucky.....fares please [Smile]

Graham.

|  IP: Logged

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 09, 2013 01:23 AM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congatulations on your new job, Graham.

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 09, 2013 01:39 AM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Graham. I was a school bus driver from 1974 to 1981. Started doing old school fx on an optical printer until 2003. Learned digital vfx for 9 months. Worked digitally from 2004 to 2011. Most digital jobs are now in Canada, India, china, etc. I am presently training to get my class B to drive a bus. Hopefully, I will get a bus job by end of the month just to make ends meet.

Congratulations! At least you are working.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted February 09, 2013 02:49 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Working is good...especially when you are getting paid for something you like doing. Congrats on the new job Graham!

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted February 09, 2013 04:10 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations Graham, in this day and age no small feat, and
better still if it's something you'll enjoy.Best of luck.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 09, 2013 07:01 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck in your new job Graham. If its something you enjoy that makes it even better.

I lost my job back in 2009, but I had stopped enjoying it a few years before, in fact it was getting me down. After I went on "The Sick" for 12 months, said all the right things at the Job Centre & managed to get on all the courses. Had 10 weeks on 'A4E' self employed course. Still at it now.

Money's a bit tight, but I feel better doing something I enjoy. I wanted to be:

• 1. Film Bum
  • 2. Beach Bum
  • 3. Communications Business
For some reason they didn't like the first two [Razz]

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 09, 2013 01:38 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Everyone

Larry and David.. hope all works out well for both of you.

Regards Graham.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 11, 2013 12:32 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
relief of my wife and our dwindling savings
Obviously I am not Canadian, but here I see people will get a sort of compensation from the government for certain moths (maybe local Canadian can give better explaantion) if they are fired or unemployed.

Is there a similar scheme in other countries ?

--------------------
Winbert

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 11, 2013 12:43 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not to get too political but at the moment they have that here that is almost helping people nOT look for jobs.. I have a friend who has been on unemployment for the past 2 years, and they just got another years' extension in December, and he only starts looking the month before it is scheduled to run out.

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted February 11, 2013 05:11 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham

Congratulations on the new job! I am going to do the same thing myself for added income. My pension is just not enough.

PatD

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 12, 2013 05:43 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great idea Pat, money does not go far these days.

Regarding unemployment benifit out here, you can get it but its not much and its not easy to get. If you do qualify then if a job comes up, eg digging a hole in the street and you say you dont want to do it, they will pull the plug on you, same if they send you for a job and you fail a drug test...once again no money. There are certainly people that need help, but if they look at you and you look fit and healthy...then its out the door you go buddy and get some work.

Graham.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC