8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » World's Smallest Movie Camera

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: World's Smallest Movie Camera
Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 13, 2014 12:39 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will be making and shooting, and then of course hopefully projecting some 3mm film at this years AMIA conference. As a teaser I shot a very brief video of the camera running on a 9 volt battery in my office today..I actually have 2 cameras...I will probably do a longer video after the presentation since I don't want to give away too much before the conference.

3mm Movie Camera running on 9 volt battery

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

|  IP: Logged

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted August 13, 2014 05:42 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's awesome Dino! Where did you find them?

Charles Peich
Junior

- posted August 13, 2014 09:49 AM      Profile for Charles Peich   Email Charles Peich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eric Berndt's 3 mm motion picture camera?

--------------------
Charlie

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 13, 2014 10:18 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And I thought that the Pathe 4.75mm widescreen duplex film was the smallest ever.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 13, 2014 12:10 PM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems I read somewhere that a special 4mm camera was made especially for NASA years ago during the Mercury and Apollo Flights. Can't remember where I saw this; maybe someone else could elaborate.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted August 13, 2014 12:21 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's sooooo cute [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 13, 2014 12:29 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Galveston, we have a solution!

quote:
One hundred years of cinema has yielded almost one hundred film gauges from 3mm to 75mm. The smallest of 3mm was developed in 1960 by Eric Berndt for NASA to be used in space flights. It had a centre frameline perforation. The largest was employed by Lumière in 1900 for large screen presentations at the Paris Exposition.
More Than One Hundred Years of Film Sizes

One and the same as the camera Dino has.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 13, 2014 12:58 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wonderful Dino!

I wonder what the image will look like?

Are there any you tube videos out there of footage from one of these cameras?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 14, 2014 01:15 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Charles and Steve you are correct. It is Eric Berndt's 3mm equipment. I have all of it. 2 cameras, film slitter, film perforator, optical printer, projector, developing equipment and reels and reels of different sizes, and a small little rewind set up and some of Eric's original shot film...I am doing a whole panel on the background and history of the equipment and then will put up some videos...

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 14, 2014 08:42 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I look forward to seeing that!

Dino, was this system ever used by NASA?

--------------------

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 14, 2014 02:42 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No they didn't go for it, so it all went back into a box and Eric moved on....

--------------------

Charles Peich
Junior

- posted August 15, 2014 08:32 AM      Profile for Charles Peich   Email Charles Peich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino,

Wow, that is amazing! I had heard of this effort years ago. I'm looking forward to your 'paper' on Eric Berndt's project.

I have 2 questions, how did you end up with all the equipment? And, what size film did he start with to cut down and perf for his 3mm camera?

BTW, I like your picture holding the 3mm Berndt camera next to the 65mm Panavision. (from Indiana University Libraries)

Charlie

--------------------
Charlie

Charles Peich
Junior

- posted August 15, 2014 09:18 AM      Profile for Charles Peich   Email Charles Peich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino,

Wow, that is amazing! I had heard of this effort years ago. I'm looking forward to your 'paper' on Eric Berndt's project.

I have 2 questions, how did you end up with all the equipment? And, what size film did he start with to cut down and perf for his 3mm camera?

BTW, I like your picture holding the 3mm Berndt camera next to the 65mm Panavision. (from Indiana University Libraries)

Charlie

--------------------
Charlie

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 15, 2014 01:02 PM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino, your collection is truly amazing.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 18, 2014 10:59 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What does it have for a lens?

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 19, 2014 11:09 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino,

Beautiful work as always; I'd love to see that in action.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 19, 2014 11:48 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Guy. A truly amazing collection!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 19, 2014 09:57 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched "Movietone Cinema Reel" (Derann, 200 Ft.) tonight. They paid a visit to a collector of vintage motion picture equipment.

He had a wooden box camera of pre-WWI vintage. The film came in from the supply reel, passed over the top of a driven sprocket, formed an upper loop, passed through the gate, formed a lower loop, passed the underside of the same driven sprocket and then went to the take-up reel.

I saw this and immediately thought "Eric Berndt 3mm!!"

Makes sense: I guess in both cases simplicity was the main idea.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC