8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » While we are on the subject of Beaulieu (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: While we are on the subject of Beaulieu
Robert Tucker
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 14, 2015 08:09 AM      Profile for Robert Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hopefully one day you'll grow up !?!

|  IP: Logged

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 14, 2015 09:34 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Girls, girls!!!!!
Or, in the words of the immortal Michael Winner...
"Calm down, dears!"

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 14, 2015 09:46 AM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back on projectors... I re-started the hobby in 2007 and I got a Beaulieu in 2010. I can see myself working on my Beaulieu 708 and have done a couple of things already. There were the new parts from Wittner that I have purchased. So I have new sound heads, gate parts and guides. The Beaulieu is a long-term bet that I can believe will still be running in 20 years. I had the opportunity to get a GS Xenon. It is amazing but I'll admit to being a bit scared of it. Make friends with a expert if you aren't one yourself, I say. But you can enjoy more than one projector. I love my Eumig 938 although the gate is plastic! Each has foibles.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Robert Tucker
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 14, 2015 09:47 AM      Profile for Robert Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin, It's only a commercial [Smile]

That's the nice thing about different manufacturers/projectors they all have their good points and bad points. It's really what works for you and how you show film.

Take the Fumeo 9145/x500 also known as the 2000, which is a 500 watt xenon Stereo machine with 750m take up, along with standard manual threading. It's built like a tank and one of the best projectors i have been fortunately enough to install.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 14, 2015 10:58 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice to see someone on here talk some sense today Steven

[ March 14, 2015, 12:36 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 14, 2015 11:03 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've read the write up on that fumeo 9145 projector, and it is a beast of a machine, and the most expensive super 8 projector ever made !!, it weighs in at 100lbs, not that portable then, but looks the full monty, long play, stereo sound, xenon lamp, with all metal guides, and plastic only used on the buttons by all accounts. This is one machine I would love to see in the flesh, its a pity the 9119 doesn't reflect these high end fumeo products, the finish is not that good, and the sound is not that great really, just for me lets down the fact that they produced such fantastic high machine's. I wonder how many were sold ?.

Robert Tucker
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 14, 2015 11:18 AM      Profile for Robert Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These were based on the 1980's Fumeos 16mm counterparts i.e the Fumeo HL3000 one of which i also have, with the projector head being the same designed.

It also has a safety cut off device when the film comes to the end of the reel/show. Along with a 45 watt amplifier to boot.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted March 14, 2015 11:26 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If any member has a copy of International Movie Making, issue 49, dated October 2007, there is an interesting article by Ignacio Benedeti Corzo called "Living 20 Years with a Fumeo 9145."

He says that he bought it direct from the factory as all the Company's range of projectors were built individually, like a masterpiece. His 9145 was the 9145 HD2000 Stereo Pro X4, with Puls sync sound. The lens fitted was an Isco Vario MC8 f/1.1, 11-30mm.

From the pictures accompanying the article I must say that the projector looked quite awesome.

Click on my link below to see a picture of Ignacio's Fumeo in his projection room.

http://www.super8data.com/database/projectors_list/projectors_fumeo/fumeo_9145.htm

--------------------
Maurice

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 14, 2015 11:31 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spot on Maurice, that's the article, its a good read up too, this man certainly knows his stuff on super 8, and having access to such machines, he as kindly imparted his knowledge to the reader, very good article indeed.

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 14, 2015 11:32 AM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That top end Fumeo 9145, now, you see my attitude is, I want that one as well...

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 14, 2015 11:39 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you find one Steve, I 'll get the forklift warmed up to get it in your transit van. haha.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 14, 2015 04:33 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
These are simply fantastic machines the 9145. When Phil tried to introduce the Classic Fumeo as a prototype, this is the machine he should have requested as a new build from them in the era he did it in.

It would have been way beyond all too many of us to ever have been able to afford, however, so was the Classic and it did little to impress given that it needed separate amplication and that simply wasn't available on the day of the public introduction.

Had he had been showing one of these off, even with a ridiculous price tag attached to it, for those that insist of the very best of everything and for those with extreme reserves of surplus cash, this would surely have sold and would have been legendary with a yr2k facelift in the audio department.

Simply a stunning, dare I say it professional Super 8mm machine, who wouldn't love one of these stashed away in their separate cinema booth after a lottery win?

--------------------

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted March 14, 2015 05:35 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes the 9145 is legendary and is probably the only truly Professional Super 8 Machine that existed. However for the amount paid it better be! I think Ignacio, the owner of the machine told me that it cost upwards of $9000? And it was designed NOT to be moved once in place. If money was no object than yes. This is the machine to have. Truly designed to run forever with never a scratch on the print. His machine had Optical Capability and Stereo Sound.
But for the rest of us...
Ignacio who has many of the best machines ever made..and some doubles said that if you were to have just one machine..and only one..he said he would take the Beaulieu 708 Studio. He said that when he purchased his Fumeo they were still taking orders for them but once it was sold to another company the quality went down. He had a 9119 that they had converted to HTI specs and he wasn't happy with it.
As always the best machine is going to the best one for you. If you believe the best machine is one that is the quietest one...Bauer! If you need pulse sync...GS1200!
2200 ft reels. .micrometric focusing and Stereo..Beaulieu! 2200 ft reels ..micrometric focusing...all metal manual threading..Fumeo!
We get heated in discussion about these machines but its because were all passionate about them. That is a great thing that we have fabulous machines to be passionate about I think.
And when our beloved machine die one day...we can always explore the beauty of another. My next one may be a Chinon 4100. Wait..I think I had one of those once...

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 14, 2015 05:45 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
You make a very wise Philosopher Rik, you are so correct on very many levels. [Wink]

I am a very passionate person as you've probably gathered who loves straightforward, no nonsense transparent decent people.

I call a spade a spade and with that concept, I really enjoy surrounding myself amongst apparently like minded people,such as yourself.

I have no issue with anyone's criticism s on anything in life,whether it's my opinion or not, so long as they can sensibly substantiate their argument [Wink]

Good luck hunting down the TOTR Chinon Rik! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

For me my ambitions in life lie simply in a late Studio model and a Hti one day. I've got 12 to 15 years between today and retirement so I reckon I just about stand a chance between now and then with lady luck on my side.

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 14, 2015 09:07 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course Alan's perspective is right on. We are all truly lucky to be able to own one or more of these magnificent high-end machines, and of course being devoted to the perfection of film projection it becomes easy to find minor, and perhaps not so minor, flaws in their design. All this is part of the fun of the hobby, the ability to scrutinize and compare the designs of these great projectors, and speculate where the designers missed a step or two and how we can make some modest improvements. As Alan says, we all have our favourites, and it is great to be able to exchange our experiences with these different machines.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC