8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Help with decision for digital projection. (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Help with decision for digital projection.
Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted April 19, 2015 05:09 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As much as I don't like this subject too often, I now need to be realistic and move into the digital projection age along side of my cine, I will repeat that bit,
Along side of my cine. I am Not moving away from cine at all.

Last night I borrowed my Brothers old Acer X110P. It was purchased three years to do his history presentations.
I roughly set it all up in the front room and put cast away on DVD through.I have to say I now want to do this a bit more seriously & project Blu ray as well as DVD. I certainly wasn't comparing it to cine as in my own view they are two totally different hobbies. Cine has a look and quality all of its own and I love it, but there is more available, Much more, on discs so I think having the best of both worlds is the answer for us.
I have asked this before but times move very fast in the digital world and my question is simply this,
Please could someone tell me the minimum specs I should look for in both light output with a good big zoom plus input/output socket minimum specs, as my living room isn't that big. All help will be gratefully received.
My actual cine room will be staying as a cine room only. My digital projection will be purely for the living room & allow us to enjoy films not available on Cine.
I am of course fully aware that the one my Brother has is nowhere near spec'd up enough, it was a first time experiment, & I personally thought the picture, although pretty good, was compare to my cine film poor in sharpness but then this projector does not have a HDMI output which I know is a must. [Wink]

|  IP: Logged

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted April 19, 2015 05:25 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tom, if it was me I would look for an LCD projector rather than DLP,a bit more filmic and no rainbow worries.

I tihnk just starting you would even find an XGA 4/3 machine very good, something like the NEC M230x has a great light out put and 1.7 x zoom lens so very handy and very nice picture. About £150 for a really nice 2nd hand one. Epsons are also really nice.

Or you could take a step up to WXGA, half as good again resolution in the 16/10 frame.

But a machine I would seriously consider as a superb starter is the Epson full HD EH-TW5200. I was in currys/PC W the other day and they were £10 under £500. 2000 lumens on full, 1400 on eco more than good enough in a darkended room.

They do have a limited zoom range at that price but for your cash they are superb and should be 2 years gaurantee.

As a starter machine this little beauty would simply blow your socks off.

[URL=http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/desktop-pc-monitors/monitor-projectors/projectors/epson-eh-tw5200-3d-gaming-projector-21841012-pdt.html?gclid=CP7IlYORgsUCFeiWtAodqkAAEg&srcid=19 8&cmp]http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/desktop-pc-monitors/monitor-projectors/projectors/epson-eh-tw5200-3d-gaming-projector-21841012-pdt.html?gclid=CP7IlYORgsUCFeiWtAodqkAAEg&srcid=1 98&cmp[/URL] id=ppc~gg~~~Exact&mctag=gg_goog_7904&s_kwcid=AL!3391!3!54854298860!!!g!98236817060!&ef_id=VTN-xQAABYk5TGl6:20150419101325:s#cat-0

Just click on the throw distance on the link below to see if it would fit your set up.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson_Europe-EH-TW5200.htm

Best Mark.

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 19, 2015 05:42 AM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tom,

I would take Mark's advice - as you know i still collect 8mm - I've bought some items from you - but i've also bought 2 LCD projectors from Mark - one the Hitachi is on my living room ceiling linked via HDMI to Sky HD on a 10ft screen - excellent results and the other is in my Den which is an NEC - LCD and is linked to a yamaha DTS surround sound processor (5:1)the results on my 7ft screen are excellent. But in my Den - i have all my cine equipment on a permanent set-up - cine and digital together - the best of both worlds. Take the plunge - you won't regret it and as you said yourself - some films you just can't access on 8mm.

David

Paul Barker
Master Film Handler

- posted April 19, 2015 06:08 AM      Profile for Paul Barker   Email Paul Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
one of the best things you will ever do. i have 2 epson EHTW 3200 projectors. ABOUT £800 each.with a 3 year warranty. these are superb.might seem expensive initially, but cost of blu ray discs peanuts compared to film prices.especially features. pcture quality from these are stunning. but beware,you will start looking at your cine stuff in a different way.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted April 19, 2015 06:32 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pauls right, and super 8 takes the first hit on that front, but really good digital makes even 16mm look a bit sad.

I can`t loose the love of the real stuff though good as Blu Ray etc is.

But mixed with film colecting its fantastic, and you will be surprised how filmic a look an LCD projector can provide.

Best Mark.

Mark Silvester
Master Film Handler

- posted April 19, 2015 07:58 AM      Profile for Mark Silvester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tom

"Silvoscreen" here - remember when I was almost tried at the stake for video projection all those years ago.lol.almost 10 years ago..people vilified me on silvoscreen. But anyway as Paul Adsett will tell you.(and Derek Simmonds discussed with regularly right up until he died). Video projection is a great assett...you can get some great titles..and watch them how you wish. I watched "Blade Runner" in 5.1 last weekend - 10 ft screen 16.9...stunning..BUT...and this is a but that I learnt the hard way..keep and enjoy all the 8mm/16mm you have. I regret letting go ogf mine and have built up a nice little 8mm collection again. Thanks to Mark Todd - a truly wonderful man. As Paul Adsett would say you then have the BEST of bot worlds..to me it is all about entertainment. ! P.M me if you want advice on purchasing V.P.'s Mark [Wink]

--------------------
Mark Silvester

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted April 19, 2015 08:00 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All great advice thank you, & I am making notes and taking all advice on board. Keep it coming, I prefer asking other collectors because shops will sell you what they want to get rid of and looking on the internet you tend to get opposing advice. [Wink]

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 19, 2015 10:27 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, I've been through several video projectors and I would strongly recommend that you look at the JVC range of D-ILA machines.

These produce some the best black levels and shadow detail of any projector out there, which is so crucial to giving you a filmic look; when you see Blu-ray on one of these there will be no going back.

There aren't cheap, starting at around £3000.00, but at least get a demonstration and compare.

Personally, I would still find a good quality hi-fi / home cinema retailer near you and go for demos. Not only can you then judge for yourself, but they will be there as a back up for any future problems or advice.

The likes of "Sevenoaks" can be excellent.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted April 19, 2015 12:44 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks all, Rob i think i will defiantly go for some demo's

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted April 19, 2015 03:17 PM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
Agree, Rob -- I have a JVC D-ILA projector in my home cinema, and have been very pleased with it. And Paul, you make excellent points.

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 21, 2015 05:22 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richer Sounds offers the Panasonic PT-AT 6000E at £2199 (save £800 on original price of £3000) with 5 year guarantee...
http://www.richersounds.com/product/projectors/panasonic/ptat6000e/pana-ptat6000e

Ebay item http://www.ebay.co .uk/itm/Panasonic-PT-AE8000U-PT-AT6000-3D-Home-Theater-projector-HDMI-1080P-Cinema-/261534566518?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3ce4acc876

offers what is APPARENTLY the same item at £1175.... a bargain?
No, because it is a US Import, which means the warranty cannot be invoked in the UK and the importers say the purchaser must return it to the US for warranty service!!!!! International 4 year warranty available for USD 140 extra... brings it up to about £1250.... with all the uncertainties of imported items.

Other alternative is.... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-PT-AT600 0E-LCD-projector/dp/B009JM2K5I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429611091&sr=8-1&keywords=ptat6000e

£75 more, but 3 year (2 0n lamp)Panasonic European Guarantee (valid in UK). Imported from Germany.

A lot cheaper than Richer Sounds (very good company!). I've ordered one as I already have several pairs of compatible glasses, which is a great advantage... 'cos they're not cheap!

Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 21, 2015 07:02 AM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the one I want one day:
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Product.do?sku=V11H335120

Built in DVD and everything else! Can project super far and bright!!
Cheers,
Matt

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 21, 2015 09:41 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the end of the day you're going to have to decide which filmic look you're going after. Yes, LCD has never looked better, but there are some things it just can't do. Well, you'd say the same of DLP since only the $$$$$ 3-chip projectors don't have the rainbow effect. I hate the rainbow effect also, but it might just be better to live with at times.

So having recently watched Interstellar on a Ben-Q SH910, I want to throw in a differing opinion. Why that model? It's what the rental house had. The steep 30-degree rake (conference room projector) was a little tough to work with, it's too bright so I ran it in economy mode and on the "warm" setting, and left all the other adjustments alone. Having done that, the result was absolutely spectacular. Color was amazing. Clarity was astounding. And the high-contrast space scenes rivaled the Imax 70mm film presentation in punch and brightness. I don't think LCD can do that. Yes, it makes a tough act to follow for 8mm or 16mm, but the "repertoire" is completely different, as is the fun of handling film, so there's no danger of giving up on that yet.

Whatever you decide, if you're going to spend that kind of money on a projector, I hope you can just give it a good viewing first someplace.

That's my 2c, more like 5 or 10.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 22, 2015 12:11 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was about to write a post regarding the merits of DLP, LCD and LCOS technologies, but found this on the net, which just about sums it all up and is pretty fair and accurate given my experiences;

http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/dlp-vs-lcd-vs-lcos-projector-tech-pros-and-cons/

Well worth a proper read.

All I would add is that you always need to calibrate the projector, as out of the box it generally will not be right.

Professional calibration is good, but costly, although you can make certain contrast, brightness, colour temperature and colour adjustments yourself with some simple aids and the result, even with a very good projector and a bit of DIY can be like chalk and cheese.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted April 22, 2015 04:54 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I`m a hopeless Nerd and adjust the machine bit time for each film myself, I`m as bad on the TV as well.

Best Mark.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 22, 2015 05:17 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, you must calibrate your display - TV or Projection.

When done correctly, disappointments are then either in your display or cinematographer.

Seriously, no display should need re-adjustment from film to film.

Tell me what your problems are and we can help each other as well as others here...

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted April 22, 2015 05:25 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Rob, not a full calibration I just Nerdy wise adjust all the vasrious bits and bobs etc.

I know the JVC`s are superb but I think even a 2nd hand £150 odd nice LCD HDMI one would give Tom a surprise with BR.

Best Mark.

Paul Barker
Master Film Handler

- posted April 23, 2015 01:35 AM      Profile for Paul Barker   Email Paul Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes i agree there. i remember the first LCD projector i bought. a epson ehtw20. 720p output only and cost me brand new about £350 some years ago. no HDMI. but i remember even with that i was so impressed with the picture qualty. not only that the picture size i could get when compared to even using a 1 inch lens on my ELF projector. there was a vast difference with the epson.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted April 24, 2015 01:14 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to everyone for your comments and help, I am currently reading all the posts and links and doing a little of research as well. I shall eventually let you all know which one I go for. [Wink]

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 24, 2015 07:15 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I learned a few things from that link, such as LCoS having the ability to have darker blacks than DLP, for example. Tom, thanks for keeping us posted!

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 26, 2015 03:57 AM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recommend Panasonic, as I always do, for video projectors. They also made the best VCRs too. The triple LCD machines are pretty good. On black levels I would say sometimes the contrast can look a little shallow. BUT I am sure we have many super 8 prints and even 16mm that are a little washed out and it is nothing like that, really, not from my experience. Have the best of both worlds, film and video projection, it shouldn't be an either/or decision. As said above, keep the film and film projectors even if you have an initial 'oh wow, and a feature is only £15!' reaction.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted April 26, 2015 04:18 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
You are so correct Steven on each point raised. Only wish I had you to advise me back in 93 when I sold the lot back to Derann to eventually purchase a Sharp XVZ1E a few years on.

What a mistake that was, now in hindsight!

I have always been very satisfied with the Panasonic range of projectors right back to my first which was the PTAE 900. I am now on my third and not a moments bother off any of them.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 26, 2015 04:24 AM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I second that sentiment,

I love watching films on a big screen whether lcd Blu Ray or Super 8 - but yesterday as I sat watching the great Hylda Baker in "She Knows you know" on super 8 - even with imperfections. I had a little smile to myself and thought isn't this hobby great. Both mediums can sit side by side.

David

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 26, 2015 04:24 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Tom

We have used various video projectors here at home since purchasing our first one in 1999 (a NEC VT440 for £2k ouch!) currently using a 3d Optoma DLP projector and very pleased with it.

Definitely do your research and take time to choose before taking the plunge. Also remember the 'law of diminishing returns' ie: a piece of kit that costs ten time more is not always ten times better! Your eyes will tell you what's best for you and there is definitely no need to re-mortgage these days to get a quality video projected image.

Once you have found the model you want I would recommend you input the make and model number into this retailer website:

http://www.nigelohara.com/

I tried a couple of models on there last night and their system automatically beats any other web price (the initial price looks higher then click on the actual item and the price will adjust down) they give you free courier delivery, and they offer six months interest free credit (sounds like Derann in the old days).

Hope this helps and please...... as others have said still keep your 'reel films' and equipment too as sprockets are in the blood and you will surely miss playing with film if you sell up.

Kevin

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted April 26, 2015 04:16 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last week I picked up a digital projector from my local Goodwill store. It's a Viewsonic PJ550 I've never had a digital projector before and was curious to what to expect. I'm actually very impressed with this little unit even though it's not new or even a top of the line model. I wish it had a longer throw lens so it could sit it back with my other film projectors, but it has over 500 hours left on the lamp and I think it will be a nice addition to my cine room.

Viewsonic PJ550

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC