8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Oliver Blu-ray

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Oliver Blu-ray
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 22, 2015 04:46 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For those of you that like musicals I am sure you will enjoy this one. Back in 1968 Oliver was winner of six academy awards including best picture. The Blu-ray picture quality is outstanding they have simply done a stunning job on this release. The DTS 5:1 sound is also very good. Projected through a video projector "Oliver" is a real treat [Cool] ...highly recommend it [Smile]

Catchy music.....still singing to myself..."Consider Yourself"
 -

|  IP: Logged

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2015 05:18 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Graham

I remember being taken to see it in the cinema when I was about five and we had the soundtrack LP at home. Apart from catching it on TV that is my last memory of it. Did it ever come out in some form on super 8? I remember seeing Harry Secombe featuring on an issue of Film for the Collector but don't have a memory of seeing anything else. Anyway it does have a cracking soundtrack by Lionel Bart and a once in a lifetime role for Ron Moody.

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2015 06:15 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike - there was a Scope trailer and the "Thank you very much" segment, also in Scope, released on Super 8 by Derann

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2015 06:51 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I knew there was something but couldn't remember seeing a feature. I have a feeling that sales weren't that great so Derek scrapped any idea of a longer version or feature version. This was the days of Supergirl and Gremlins.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 22, 2015 08:04 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Derann Scope trailer for Oliver! is really excellent. It is quite long and includes snippets of all the great songs in the film, as well as a few dramatic scenes with Nancy (Shani Wallace), Fagin(Ron Moody, and Bill Sykes (Oliver Reed). Print quality and sound are very good indeed. A great souvenir of the film.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 23, 2015 12:03 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have still got the Super8 Scope trl and it is very good however I would like to re-record the sound track one day [Smile]

Regarding Ron Moody in a interview on the Blu-ray, one of his regrets was not taking the part as one of the doctors in the "Doctor Who" TV series when he was offered it. I am sure he would have done very well in the part had he taken it.

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2015 02:49 AM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the scope trailer, too. Btw the 'Thank you very much' extract is from Albert Finney's 'Scrooge'

Paul Barker
Master Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2015 08:31 AM      Profile for Paul Barker   Email Paul Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi Graham. i also have blu ray of Oliver. complete with overture its the best i have ever seen it. i remember years ago when Derann had saturday night film shows usually before an open day. they showed a 16mm scope print of it.even then it was a worn print. but watchable all the same. doing a 200 mile round trip to attend these film nights, we must have been crackers. anyone else remember them. happy times indeed.

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2015 07:56 PM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The biggest shock for me concerning "Oliver!" was to learn that Mark Lester's singing was completely redubbed by Kathe Green, the daughter of the late Johnny Green, who was the music supervisor for the film.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC