8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Is it me or? I cant be the only one (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Is it me or? I cant be the only one
Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 31, 2016 04:54 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From a universe far away and The Jedi Council. They think you calculate the value of 8mm by the size about $1.00 a foot Bargain or what !!!

They have also got the 1978 prices of Star Wars films when issued by Portland Film for each version 200 400 black and white Colour silent and sound and decided in their own reality that the real price in 2016 should now be waited for. It 1000% more!!!! Deranged or what. If this is what is being talked in the Star Wars universe no doubt it is dripping into the bigger public perception that super 8 is worth hence the eBay madness.

Another price list from 2005 shows what they thing certain films are worth. No idea of what gauges they are talking about. There is even some copy and paste quotes from this forum Osi Osgood and Adrian Winchester are quoted and referenced by them

I will have a look through the boards but there was a thread made about film reels quite a while ago

edit: Just had a look it depends what it is cause the one posted on the boards was a film reel one of its kind and the person had someone offer them $2500 but then reading my price guide I have got the following

20th century fox
theatrical trailers
ESB.........$350.00
ROTJ...... 350.00
star wars......625.00

jef films
theatrical trailers
esb...... 675.00
rotj....575.00
star wars.....1,300.00

ken films
star wars selected scenes 8mm
b/w silent 42.5 metres......17.00
colour silent 42.5m..... 35.00
colour sound.... 42.5m..... 80.00
colour sound 91m..... 38.00
colour sound plastic case (han/chewbacca)....... 45.00
colour sound plastic case (movie art)...... 25.00

the empire strikes back selected scenes 8mm
colour 17 mins part 1 $65.00
colour 17 mins part 2 $65.00

As you said it was 8mm so really I suppose it will have some referance on there to tell you how long the reel is in metres and if it is colour or has sound so there is a rough estimate to how much to pay. Make sure you pay a bargain price for it and let us know how you got on [Big Grin]
skywalker_1982, Sep 4, 2005 at 11:05 AM #4

The best versions of Star Wars you can buy on eBay

The Verge
Ross Miller
The VergeDecember 11, 2015
View photos
In just over a week, your local place of cinematic worship will be filled with screen after screen preaching the good word of the Force Awakening. That leaves you plenty of time to seek out the best versions of old Star Wars movies to catch up. We went to the depths of eBay to weigh our options.

Let us be clear, these are the legal options, so certain — and arguably superior — choices aren't included.

View photos
For those who want the most original way to watch the first Star Wars

If you're looking to experience the true Star Wars in its original, virtually unaltered form, the best option is to find an old film reel. The original 35mm reels are extremely rare, but you can find a handful of high-quality 16mm versions if you're willing to pay nearly $5,000. That's less than one dollar per foot of film reel (by about $50), which is a small price to pay to see the opening crawl say "Star Wars" instead of "Episode IV: A New Hope."

If you're feeling thrifty, you can probably find a more beat-up reel for closer to $1,000, but I'm sorry, why are you settling?

16mm original uncut Star Wars: $4,750

For those who want the most original way to watch the "first" Star Wars

We're not sure why you'd want to watch a 35mm version of Episode I: The Phantom Menace, for a variety of reasons. Maybe it was the first time you visited the local theater. Maybe you met your true love in the popcorn line on premiere weekend, and now that you've found success as a finance person / legal person / doctor person, you want a room dedicated to that moment. I don't know. Someone recently bought a 35mm print for almost $3,000, and now I just need to rationalize that fact somehow.

Of course, a true completionist will want to find one of the original digital projectors and video files that showed the film; The Phantom Menace was the first full-length film to be screened to the public in digital. Episode I opened in digital on four screens, so best of luck finding one of the "original" digital files or projectors.

35mm Star Wars Episode I: $2,795

The best versions of Star Wars you can

The Verge
Ross Miller
The VergeDecember 11, 2015
View photos
In just over a week, your local place of cinematic worship will be filled with screen after screen preaching the good word of the Force Awakening. That leaves you plenty of time to seek out the best versions of old Star Wars movies to catch up. We went to the depths of eBay to weigh our options.

Let us be clear, these are the legal options, so certain — and arguably superior — choices aren't included.

View photos
For those who want the most original way to watch the first Star Wars

If you're looking to experience the true Star Wars in its original, virtually unaltered form, the best option is to find an old film reel. The original 35mm reels are extremely rare, but you can find a handful of high-quality 16mm versions if you're willing to pay nearly $5,000. That's less than one dollar per foot of film reel (by about $50), which is a small price to pay to see the opening crawl say "Star Wars" instead of "Episode IV: A New Hope."

If you're feeling thrifty, you can probably find a more beat-up reel for closer to $1,000, but I'm sorry, why are you settling?

16mm original uncut Star Wars: $4,750

For those who want the most original way to watch the "first" Star Wars.

Super 8 Star Wars films (Leisure Mail/Mountain Films) 200 ft (8 minutes): B & W silent: £6.25. 200ft colour silent: £12.95. 200ft colour sound: £16.95. 400 ft colour sound (20 minutes) £32.95.

|  IP: Logged

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted December 31, 2016 06:06 PM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So my lens already sold on eBay, - before I could determine what a potential Canadian buyer would have been charged for shipping. What I do know, is that I didn't know.

In other words, It's very possible that high shipping prices to Canada from the US is not because US sellers don't want to ship to Canada. It's because the easy way for them to do it is to let eBay take care of it, and that's what results in the high cost, a cost that the seller isn't even aware of.

Since I haven't sold on eBay recently, the other item of interest to me is what all of the fees, (between eBay and PayPal) will amount to.

It's not a film but as a seller there are some similarities I would imagine. It's at least 30 years old. Price is determined by current condition, original quality/desirability, and how rare or common it is. What is a bit different is that these old lenses are in demand because they can still be used on modern cameras and are much cheaper than new lenses of equivalent quality. So it's a different type of buyer. And there is a natural ceiling on the price. No one's going to spend $200 on my 50mm 1.8 lens when they can buy a new one from Canon for $110.

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 31, 2016 06:09 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a fan of Global shipping because it offers no options and in most cases it's too expensive to ship to me in New Zealand.
Plus I was also charge a P&P fee to get it to the Global shipping depot of about US$8 ... not alot but still .....

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted December 31, 2016 07:25 PM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. I wonder if it's worth a sticky - "Tips for reducing shipping costs".

This is a very international forum. I'd rather pay a seller few extra dollars than give it to eBay. I also imagine people would enjoy the larger market for their films if shipping costs could be reduced.

Ronald Green
Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2017 07:00 PM      Profile for Ronald Green   Author's Homepage   Email Ronald Green       Edit/Delete Post 
You are absolutely right on what you said and others as well.
Yes, I feel the same way and you summed it up perfectly.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC