8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Kodak Bringing Back Ektachrome (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Kodak Bringing Back Ektachrome
Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 06, 2017 02:13 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I shoot 100D in a Minolta XL-401, which is 40/160 only.

-exposed at 160ASA the film looks really good!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

|  IP: Logged

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2017 02:39 PM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just confirmed. The price for the limited edition camera will be $ 2,000.00. There will be a standard camera to follow at a lower price.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Evan Samaras
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2017 02:52 PM      Profile for Evan Samaras   Author's Homepage   Email Evan Samaras   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some cameras also have exposure compensation dials.

I guess my question would be, what would the auto ISO show up as? Will have to compare to a light meter and take it from there. Shouldn't be much of an issue.

2k for the special edition... I think I'll just find a way with my R10

--------------------
...When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the Earth...

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2017 03:48 PM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shooting Super 8 is just an offshoot hobby for me. I am considering, at this time, getting the Rhonda Cam from Pro 8MM.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 06, 2017 04:53 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

[Wink]

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2017 08:12 PM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are plenty of cameras that would expose it correctly. If in doubt you can use this handy guide about Super 8 cartridge notches to determine if your camera would handle it right and if not, what it would do and perhaps how you could compensate.

100D uses the same notch as the old ASA 160 except that it also has the "Daylight" notch. If your camera doesn't have a pin for the daylight notch, it will assume 160 ASA Tungsten.

It can be very confusing. With some cameras you have to have to set them to tungsten or indoor mode in order to get them to work right with daylight film, -which is counter intuitive. There might also be a filter key that will swing the daylight filter out of the way, - which is you want. You don't need that filter with daylight film.

Anyway, with a camera like I described (without a daylight pin), as long as the daylight filter isn't being used, the film will be over exposed by 2/3 stop but otherwise OK, - which isn't the end of the world.

FWIW I paid a premium for some old 100D this past summer and used it with a camera from 1967. It turned out fine.

Like I said, it's confusing and I hope I didn't get it wrong. [Wink]

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2017 03:04 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have an original Halina Super 8 camera with manual exposure and removal of the daylight filter. No zoom but ideal for this film, except in bright sunlight where a neutral density filter would be needed.

I only hope developing kits will be available, I would like to try up/down rating the film.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted January 07, 2017 04:38 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can you run prints from reversal film. I think so.

As might be better for super 8 releases as well.

Best Mark.

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2017 06:56 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know for sure the new film cartridge will fit in the old style super 8 cameras?. What if they have changed its design only to fit there new range of cameras......... At 2,000 dollars they will want to sell a few of them to get there money back on this new venture, so there must be a catch surely.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted January 07, 2017 07:49 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another point is that if Kodak are keen for people to shoot Ektachrome using the new camera, it will be important for the digital viewfinder to show conventional framing as well as the Max 8 framing that will mostly be relevant to people using negative stock.

Perhaps we shouldn't completely rule out Kodak launching a new Super 8 projector with Super 8 and Max 8 pressure plate options and with sound played in sync from the digital recording (as well as offering conventional magnetic sound), but I suspect we would need to buy a LOT of the cameras and Ektachrome first!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 07, 2017 11:13 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With reference to film speed, I attach some details on the new camera:-

"The camera has a small scroll wheel which lets the user choose what speed the film is to be recorded. When the cartridge is sent to Kodak you tell them what speed you want it processed".

Nothing is said about returning the processed 50ft of film on a spool, but I guess they will, otherwise, what would Kodak do with all the films once they had been digitised.

http://gizmodo.com/kodak-swears-its-not-giving-up-on-that-digital-super-8-1790907907

--------------------
Maurice

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 07, 2017 11:42 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, just to have this accurate, these cartridges will work on the old school super 8 cameras? (as, quite honestly, I'm not going to shell out 2,000.00 dollars for a new Super 8 cameras, as much as I love super 8).

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2017 01:16 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This Kodachrome magazine will be available later this month from Kodak. You can get it now if you go to CES in Las Vegas.

Kodachrome

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2017 11:58 PM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice: At first I thought that must be a mistake. Why would the speed you shot it at matter to whoever processes it? Well, it does if they're digitizing it.

Osi, my understanding is that these will be the same super 8 cartridges that they make today, just that they'll be offering Ektachrome along with Vision and Tri-X. I don't think there would be much of a market for the film if all it worked in was their $2,000 camera.

They're also going to be selling Ektachrome for 35mm still cameras and that's clearly targeted at existing film cameras.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 08, 2017 12:22 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The more I look at there new camera the more I like it. If they also also producing a cheaper model than the $2000 one I might be interested in giving it a go.

Although I still have my old Canon 512XLE this new model from Kodak is certainly very tempting [Roll Eyes]

[Cool]

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 08, 2017 02:53 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I assume the new camera will not have a notch reader if the user has to select the film speed manually.

--------------------
Maurice

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2017 03:50 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, the speed of reversal film can be altered by the time it spends in the first development stage. A shorter time lowers the speed a longer one increases it. Pull or Push processing were the terms used. I often rated Ektachrome 160 Tungsten 35mm for stage photography work at 640 and just told the lab to process at +2.

It's not as good as having a film of the correct speed but if none is available it works. (With Ferrania you had to alter the colour developer time to adjust an altered colour balance, but that's another story)

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 08, 2017 04:48 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Does anyone know for sure the new film cartridge will fit in the old style super 8 cameras?. What if they have changed its design only to fit there new range of cameras.....
Paul, if that happens, although I doubt it, we can easily respool the stock into old cartridge and use the film with our old cameras.

This already happen with Single 8 cartridge which is totally different with Super 8 cartridge

--------------------
Winbert

Simon Wyss
Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2017 09:18 AM      Profile for Simon Wyss   Email Simon Wyss   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That new Super-8 camera has no chance with me, at least not at the price of $2,000. I have a Christen Reflex Intégrale DB-1, a Bell & Howell Filmo 605, a Paillard-Bolex C 8, a Paillard-Bolex H-8 Reflex 4, and I can buy Double-Eight film. I have a bunch of Regular-8 projectors which outperform every Super-8 projector in terms of durability, repairability, convenience of keeping them clean or simply neatness.

Is there a projector around that shows the “extended Max 8 gate” image Kodak claims to be so thrilling? No. So what’s the fuzz about the new camera? It has a mirrored shutter for the LCD but no optical reflex finder, Gee, how botched is that? No single frame exposure!

There’s hardly any printing service for positives off the negatives one shoots. As a real filmer I am not interested in scans. Sorry, Kodak, but for $2,000 I’d rather buy an Eyemo off eBay or so with a lot of accessories. Do offer Ektachrome in bulk rolls so I can send it through the Eyemo. You want to sell film, don’t you? And don’t forget to offer Ektachrome in 4" × 5" sheets, I have a view camera, too. Oh, wait, Fujichrome Provia 100 RDP III is the better film.

There’s one good thing Rochester still can do, bring back a true reversal black and white film on a colourless base. Grey-base PXR and TXR look bad compared to Fomapan R. Which is available in 35, 16, Double-Eight, and DS-8.

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2017 10:41 AM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian,

But that's not really changing the film speed, just how it's processed and that's part of what is confusing me. Are they talking about film speed (ASA) or filming speed (FPS) ?

I got the impression it was the latter because I don't know of many Super 8 cameras that let you set the film speed (ASA) but lots that let you choose the frames per second. Having a manual setting for film speed would solve a lot of problems but is counter to the way Super 8 was intended to work. I'd bet the dial they're talking about on Kodak's new camera is an FPS setting.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2017 11:10 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, I mistook film speed (which is all I could think the processor would need to know) for filming speed, which is what you meant.

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2017 05:12 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not going to hold my breath on this one.
I hope its not to long before the facts emerge as to whats what !

Still it may be only a dream like all cinemas returning to 35mm
film as the prime means of showing movies.

[Wink] [Wink] [Wink]

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 09, 2017 06:36 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just read the following specs for the camera:-

Variable speeds of 18/24/25/36, all with crystal sync.

For exposure:-
A built-in light meter for supportive speeds of all Kodak film types.
Manual Speed / Manual Iris setting.

http://www.kodak.com/GB/en/consumer/Product/Product_Specs/?contentId=4294993082&TaxId=4294969683

--------------------
Maurice

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2017 07:24 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen a report link on Facebook that suggests a speech at CES mentioned taking a look at producing Kodachrome again as well.

"The decision to re-develop Ektachrome film was an easy one...I will say that we are investigating Kodachrome. Looking into what it would take to bring it back...Ektachrome is a lot easier and faster to bring back to market so that's the one we have announced and were working on at the moment. But people love Kodak's heritage products. And I feel personally that we have a responsibility to deliver on that love...There is alot of freezer space that could get freed up now because people do not have keep hoarding their Ektachrome. You can start shooting it again because you will be able to replace that stock that you have been hanging onto.

Ekatchrome is not the last thing we are going to bring back. We are going to continue to identify those products that the world is hungry for and we are going to do everything we can to keep delivering them."

Link to audio https://soundcloud.com/the-kodakery/discussing-the-new-kodak-super-8-camera-live-from-kodak-studios-at-ces?utm_source&utm_medium&utm_campaign

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2017 08:28 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good news!

Although don't forget that Ektachrome was available in many variations and some better (worse) than others.

I last shot with super Ektachrome 100D and found it a really nice fine grain stock that had a great colour response. It was hardly neutral, but the oversaturated look of primary colours made it interesting.

Kodachrome was always the super 8 Gold Standard (despite the painfully slow ASA; not surprised much older Kodachrome looks so great as most of it had to be shot in bright sunshine!!!).

But, don't forget that the major factor against re-introducing Kodachrome is the dedicated additive processing, which requires a dedicated lab and therefore seems to make any large scale re-introduction unlikely.

Ektachrome can, of course, be processed with universal E-6 processing, making it a much easier proposition, which any lab with E-6 and the right tools to handle super 8 film can process (although...how many of them are there now???)

Good luck Kodak.

I for one would certainly buy new Ektachrome 100D if the cartridge will fit my older super 8 cameras.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC