8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Why do mobile phone users get it wrong?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why do mobile phone users get it wrong?
Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 08, 2018 06:35 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If there is one thing that really irritates me about mobile phone users when they use it to shoot moving images, is that they insist on filming it with the phone in a vertical position! AAAGGGHHH!!!
How many times have you seen this footage used on news items and thought your TV has had a malfunction because the image ratio is something like 1:0.3 with the huge black bits either side of a skinny picture?
Don't these people realise that by using the phone horizontally, on gets the picture the same size as the TV or computer screen and is much larger?
Is it ignorance, or are they all just being sheep and following a trend?

Sorry to moan too much but this is something that really winds me up and I thought this was the best place to let off steam.....in front of people who DO know something about moving pictures!

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

|  IP: Logged

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted April 08, 2018 07:15 PM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's been called 'vertical video syndrome' in some quarters and drives me loopy too!
After watching a dramatic (but squashed up) news event sent in by a viewer, a Sky news presenter once appealed for contributors to remember that we now watch widescreen tv!
Is it so hard to hold the phone horizontally?

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 08, 2018 08:18 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I call it. “Idiot-box”

The opposite of letter boxing

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 08, 2018 08:26 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There’s an app for that, it only shoots in the Horizontle format no matter how you hold the phone.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted April 08, 2018 10:01 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There’s an app for that, it only shoots in the Horizontle format no matter how you hold the phone.
This is a simple matter that none of the mobile phone creators have thought about it.

Did you know that you CANNOT move your notes made in an Android phone?

I just found out it today when I was getting a new phone and all notes I made in my old phones cannot be moved or copied to a new phone. A very strange indeed, when we can move contacts, passwords, settings, etc to a new phone but not memo.

A special app is now available to do that simple job.

STRANGE INDEED!

--------------------
Winbert

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 09, 2018 02:27 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect most people mainly use this facility on their camera phones for "talking head" video messages and forget when using for other purposes.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted April 09, 2018 06:36 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have my own opinion on mobile phones and the "some", (quite a few actually), of the people who use them 24/7 and break out in hives if they are without it for an hour. Like social networking,they are turning many people into simpletons.
I recently watched a David Attenbrough programme about sharks, he stated an interesting fact, (bearing in mind peoples perception about sharks is that they are dangerous and when one attacks for one reason or another they send out crews to kill it).
He said last year more people were killed taking a selfie than by sharks.

At an Ennio Morriconie concert two years ago, we were sat on the second tier of seats, when the concert started, you should have seen all the lights from mobile screens light up on the ground level, hundreds, and many did not go out as they watched the concert on there pathetic little screens. How sad is that? [Wink]

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted April 09, 2018 08:14 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My thoughts are that most mobile phone users are too young to ever have used, or seen, home movie equipment. Therefore, they just hold it as they would for any other use of the phone.

--------------------
Maurice

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 09, 2018 08:39 AM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my case it's simply because the iPhone is easier to securely hold in a vertical position when using one hand...Of course if it's something I want to save or is important I use two hands...

--------------------
Joe Taffis

William Olson
Master Film Handler

- posted April 09, 2018 08:53 PM      Profile for William Olson   Email William Olson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of my pet peeves.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted April 09, 2018 09:59 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd guess that the people who do this rarely, if ever, watch the images on anything other than their phone, as I'd hope that the absurdity of the format would get through to them if they used a monitor or TV screen that they are used to seeing 'normal' pictures on.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 21, 2018 12:27 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZnge-xDI2o

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Daniel Macarone
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 21, 2018 07:01 PM      Profile for Daniel Macarone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It bothers me too and I wish the video camera on phones would only shoot horizontal even if it's held vertical. Vertical frame just shouldn't be allowed in moving images.

Richard Whitman
Junior

- posted April 23, 2018 01:17 PM      Profile for Richard Whitman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just say no to vertical videos!

Nantawat Kittiwarakul
Master Film Handler

- posted April 26, 2018 11:58 PM      Profile for Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Email Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simply put,they just don't get it. No matter how many hours of attempt explaining this to them,they just don't have any clue about what you explained,period. [Roll Eyes]

Maybe they're just the same breed as those who insist watching 4:3 ratio content on widescreen tv by stretching it to the full screen,sort of.

--------------------
Just a lone collector from a faraway land...

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 27, 2018 11:17 AM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nantawat - That is the other thing that really irritates me! You hit the nail on the head! If I had thought about it, I would have included that in my first post, but you have beaten me to it! Thanks for bringing it up!

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 27, 2018 12:29 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BBC news has just had a reporter asking people their virws on what should be the main voting points for the upcoming local elections. He pointed a camera-phone a them for their reply, even though he was being covered by an ENG camera an the results were vertical. I give up, with examples like that no wonder copy.

Reese Williams
Junior

- posted May 03, 2018 08:10 AM      Profile for Reese Williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
they just don't get it [Frown]

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2018 12:06 PM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Artificial intelligence has taken over their brains as predicted. Ken Finch. [Roll Eyes]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC