8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » There was a fire ...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: There was a fire ...
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 01, 2018 11:15 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just need to vent for a bit, I hope you folks won't mind.

Friday morning, at 6:05 A.M., I was woke up to what sounded like gun shots, which I thought odd, especially for this time of year and in town. the gunshots increased, and then I started to hear a little yelling. I sprang from my bed to look in the hall and from the window from the back door down the hall, I saw flames thru the window. I immediately woke up my wife to get herself and the kids woke up, as I feared that the back bedroom of our house was on fire (the back bedroom is only used for storage).

I put on my shoes and robe and ran outside and found that it wasn't our trailer on fire, but my neighbor, Alan's trailer, which is only 20 feet from ours. I ent back there to see if i could help and heard Alan screaming for help from inside his trailer. I and a neighbor were trying to force our way to his trailer, but the police and firefighters were holding us back, just doing they're job.

I went back into the house to find my family completely dressed and informed them that our house was not on fire, but Alan's.

I went back outside to find that they had dragged Alan outside and were doing C.P.R. to no avail. Our neighbor of 13 years had died of burns and smoke inhalation.

In hindsidght, I am thankful that they held us back, as it took four firefighters to get Alan out of his house, (Alan, while a good man, was rather obese) and so, though I desired to help, I might well have been either hurt or killed in trying to get him out.

We were rather lucky in one way, as there was no wind that morning and so the flames were not blown onto our trailer. Our trailer is safe.

It will be difficult not to think of his screaming for help.

I had aleready made the decision to do this in the recent past, but we are going to do opur best to be out of our trailer within a years time. When we first moved in 13 years ago, we were surrounded on all sides, by neighbors. In that time, two of our neighbors trailers have been burned down and the other was torn down when the occupant left. It almost feels like we are on borrowed time, living here.

Please forgive me, as I know this has nothing to do with film, but I do feel that, though we have never met, i feel like you folks are friends. long distance, of course, but friends, just the same.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted December 01, 2018 12:45 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just glad you and your family are ok. Stay safe.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 01, 2018 02:40 PM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,
As the season of goodwill approaches - thank the lord you are all ok - so sorry that you lost a neighbour and friend. Good Wishes from South Wales UK

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 01, 2018 03:30 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a horrible experience Osi,very frightening for you all and poor Alan.

A few years ago in our old house we were woken up by the smell of burning,I got up and looked around and our house was fine but next door was on fire,I jumped the fence and when I looked in the neighbour was out cold on the sofa,she had fallen asleep smoking and it set the sofa alight,I kicked the door in and got her out while my wife rang the fire brigade,I managed to keep the flames back with the garden hose,she had burns but survived and so did the house,a frightening experience and that first smell of smoke for me was the worst,Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Heidi Barker
Film Handler

- posted December 01, 2018 03:47 PM      Profile for Heidi Barker   Email Heidi Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How awful for you and of course your poor neighbour.
A house or a trailer - fire spreads so quickly, all places of residence should have fire extinguishers really - it might not save the house but it could help just clear a path to get out!
Glad you and your family are safe.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted December 02, 2018 12:11 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remember your neighbor as Our Lord remembers us - Shorty

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted December 02, 2018 12:44 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terrible story ! I'm glad you're ok.

--------------------
Dominique

David Michael Leugers
Master Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2018 01:42 PM      Profile for David Michael Leugers   Email David Michael Leugers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Such a terrible thing. Life has a way of waking us up and nudging us in a direction if we are paying attention. I am thinking of your family. Your neighbor Alan's demise serves to make us thankful when a loved one passes quietly and peacefully from this realm. Glad you and your family are safe.

--------------------
Live Free or Die

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 03, 2018 11:04 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for you're kind consideration and words. As for me, I'm just paranoid all the time now. Not totally "wigged out", but paranoid.

Mark, you are quite the man for what you did. [Smile]

--------------------

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 03, 2018 01:09 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know how you feel it took me months to get back to normal after the dehumidifier fire in my cellar and that only charred a few joists and spread soot around. Hope you can relax again soon.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 03, 2018 01:49 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing I hope everyone has is "smoke detectors" at home... its really a must have.

Jason Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted December 03, 2018 04:52 PM      Profile for Jason Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am with Graham.For better piece of mind, I would make sure you have carbon monoxide/smoke detectors in every bedroom, hallway, and in the kitchen.

I am glad that you and your family are okay Osi.

I think this is a good time for all of us to check our smoke detector batteries and make sure we have everything in order.

[ December 04, 2018, 02:18 AM: Message edited by: Jason Smith ]

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 03, 2018 09:36 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think a new fire extinguisher or three needs to be among Santa's gifts to our household. And yep, I'm overdue to check on smoke alarms. The main one's fine, but...

Osi, what a sad and tragic thing. I'm so glad you and your family are OK. May by God's grace and blessing you get out of there into something more viable long-term, and may He keep you safe until you do. (And thereafter!).

Thank you for sharing.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 04, 2018 11:43 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks bill (and all others) ...

One thing about "trials" in life, they are not there to destroy us but to refine and strengthen us, so I tend to look at things in that-a-way.

Beyond even that, there are those that have suffered far worse than I and my family, take those folks down there in the California wildfires ...

So, put in the proper perspective, I am still thankful and grateful. [Smile]

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted December 04, 2018 12:43 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, thankfully your all OK, very sorry to hear of your neighbors awful demise.

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 04, 2018 07:35 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, both of those are excellent and wise perspectives!

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 04, 2018 07:39 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so glad that you and your family are alright Osi. Very sorry for the loss of your neighbor. As others stated above, if any good can come out of this all, it makes us all more cautious. Check electrical outlets, etc.

Praying for continued safety for your household.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC