8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 9.5mm Forum   » 9.5mm Forum

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 9.5mm Forum
Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 24, 2007 04:55 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering, as a keen fan of all things 9.5mm film, if we might have a 9.5mm film forum? The Pathe 9.5mm system has a good following and even has two events within the UK staged just for the gauge. What do you think folks? My view is the more cine the better....

|  IP: Logged

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 24, 2007 02:04 PM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be for that,Lee. [Smile]

--------------------
Trevor

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 24, 2007 05:29 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it would be worth seeing how many people would be interested before we start down the route of adding to the forum.

Lets see what interest we get on this thread.

Kev.

[ January 25, 2007, 01:06 AM: Message edited by: Kevin Faulkner ]

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 24, 2007 07:06 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Count me in with Lee and Trev as someone with a keen interest in all things 9.5mm. Even though we are small in number, a separate 9.5mm section on the forum might well stimulate other S8 buffs to take another look at the center sprocket guage.

-

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted January 24, 2007 10:25 PM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know very much about the 9.5mm guage but I think that it was basically 16mm film with the side sprockets slit off and a centre hole punched into the print. Was the optical track left on the print and were the 9.5mm projectors capable of playing the optical soundtrack in the correct synch? If this is so there should be no shortage of good 9.5mm prints as there are lots of available 16mm prints to convert. I seem to remember that Larry Pierce of LGP Cine had the necessary equipment to produce 9.5mm prints.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 25, 2007 01:09 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,

I seem to remember that 9.5 came from 35mm film. The 35mm stock had the sprockets removed and then the remaining film slit into 3 x 9.5mm.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2007 02:40 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a 9.5 user, but I often come across films and equipment in my wanderings and would like to know more about them.

Whilst I don't think I would be a regular contributor to a 9.5 forum, I would welcome one, and I'm sure we would all enjoy reading the threads.

Mike [Smile]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2007 03:00 AM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The prospect of a neuf cinq forum prompted me to drag out the old dual format(9.5/4.75mm) Monaco and run a western called "Man Trainer" [Smile]
I then decided to look at a bit of Pathe Monoplex(4.75mm) widescreen film.Of course I first had to tweak the Monaco.This involved,revolving it's turret and resetting the gate.I didn't have to recenter the claw but I did have to resynchronise the one blade shutter with the claw. I decided the lamp adjustment was OK so didn't fiddle it's knobs.Oh,yes,then I focussed the projection lensof course!And Bob's your uncle-when you are playing with 9.5mm gear Very interesting but very labour intensive.I sometimes think most ninefive gear was made for people who hate synchromesh? Oh,if you look at the pic of my tiny theatrette you can see how cramped the projectionist's room is.Well,it is darned hot and humid here in the south Pacific.That,associated with the Monaco's 500w bulb was enough to get the wee room's smoke alarm beeping [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Trevor

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted January 25, 2007 03:00 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that would be good, even though I would not contribute a lot, but this fine Forum would therefore be covering all the Small Formats...

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2007 07:23 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it is an excellent idea Lee as I have a few reels of 9.5 and a 200B projector. I used to have a pathe 'H' projector but sold it. I dont use the 200B much at the moment but I did remove the asbestos.

When a friend finds his pathe lido camera I can finally get on with some filming on modern fugi film. 9.5 home movies look every bit as good as 16mm and you can add a mag stripe for sound. Modern Elf 16mm projectors can be converted for 9.5. Contact Tony Reypart at Buckingham films.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 25, 2007 09:20 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whenever I show a little reel of 9.5mm film, I am struck by the beautiful edge-to-edge sharpness and deep rich contrast of the picture in comparison with super 8 black and white. In many respects 9.5mm was the perfect home cinema guage, giving 16mm quality pictures with 8mm sized equipment. Too bad, as Trev has noted, the Pathescope equipment was so quircky, and often poorly designed. But that is now one of the attractions of collecting 9.5mm equipment and films. Threading up and hand cranking a restored Pathe Baby to a group of todays youngster's (and adults) is an eye opening experience for them, they immediately feel that magical connection to the little reel of tiny moving photographs, something they will never experience with electronic video.

-

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2007 11:20 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good points Paul.

I believe that if Pathescope was still around in the 70's and 80's they may have designed good 9.5 projectors equal to the Elmo's and Eumig's. Who knows, we may even have had Stereo if they could squease on a balance stripe on the other side.

One interesting projector is the Pathe Duplex (i think) which shows widescreen with the film going from left to right. It's the only time I've ever seen horizontal scratches!!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 25, 2007 11:33 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't see why people who don't collect 9.5mm wouldn't be interested in it anyway. I'm actually trying to avoid getting into other gauges (...just trying to keep it simple), but that doesn't mean I'm against learning about them and discussing them.

Besides: there is strength in numbers! The more people we pull in, the more cross-connected we become, the more we can do.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2007 01:04 PM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee, you can certainly count me in.

P.S. You have a PM

Craig

--------------------
I dream of becoming a dealer!!!!!!
Is Perry's Movies for Sale.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 25, 2007 06:25 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok Guys I give in. [Embarrassed]

I have asked Brad to put us a 9.5mm General section in the listing as well as a 9.5 for sale/trade/wanted section for film and equipment.

You use it and we will keep it running....no use and we will remove it [Wink]

Once set up I will copy this topic in as it does have some interesting comments to start the 9.5mm section off.

Kev.

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 25, 2007 07:38 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank You Kev,
Obviously there won't be as much activity on the 9.5mm forum section as the super 8 forum section, but I think there is enough material out there to make some very interesting posts, which will offer a good read to even diehard S8 buffs. Perhaps Lee could contact the Group 9.5mm people in the UK and ask them to let their members know that they now have a 9.5mm forum and would be very welcome here. I will email Grahame Newnham as well, so that he can perhaps put a link on his excellent Pathescope UK web site.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 26, 2007 01:01 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
It might take a few days for Brad to get round to sorting this for us but yes spread the word [Smile]

Kev.

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 26, 2007 03:55 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi.
9-5 has a good following so I feel it would be great to bring it into the forum. Here's hoping...

Douglas Meltzer

- posted January 26, 2007 10:01 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking forward to reading those 9.5 posts. Great idea, Lee.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2007 05:21 AM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i'm also very interested, and looking forward to learning about this gauge. [Smile]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Barry Johnson
Master Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2007 09:54 AM      Profile for Barry Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I worked in a film library years ago and we rented vast quantities of souind and silent 9.5mm films,I too would be interested to see correspondence on this little format.I might even be able to add a thing or too if needed.
Barry.

--------------------
Standard8 rules!!

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted February 02, 2007 07:03 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I have now moved this to its new position as I thought it was fitting for it to be in this new 9.5mm forum. Lets hope we can keep this thread going as it has some very valuable info.

Kev.

[ February 27, 2007, 08:17 AM: Message edited by: Kevin Faulkner ]

--------------------

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted February 04, 2007 11:37 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please relate the history of 9.5, as I'll copy it for my research - Vastley interested in this and the other 'odd' gauges which one scarcely sees offered anywhere anymore - Shorty

Gustavo Maurokefalidis
Junior

- posted June 05, 2016 05:00 PM      Profile for Gustavo Maurokefalidis   Email Gustavo Maurokefalidis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello
I buyed last month a pathescope gem, with lamp and apparently operational with light
When i try project the film , I see a problem with the tooth system
when disassembled the front piece with the lens i discovered a piece is missing.
This piece is the necessary to get tooth system in conjunction with the frame light disc
Can you give me a detailed picture of the piece?
I attach the front with the loose part that I need to get.

-

-

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 07, 2016 07:03 AM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Gustavo,
I've just emailed you the pics you wanted,
If they didn't arrive then let me know and I'll resend them.
Hope they help [Smile]

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC