8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 9.5mm Forum   » Pathescope Monthly 1953

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pathescope Monthly 1953
Douglas Meltzer

- posted April 26, 2011 02:58 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some scans for your viewing pleasure.

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted April 26, 2011 07:13 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for posting that great piece of nostalgia Doug!
A few comments:
The Coronation of Queen Elizabeth is something which no one living in the UK at the time will ever forget. It was an awesome and historic event in every respect, and Elizabeth looked stunning. Walton Films made a small fortune selling color prints of the event. It was shown on television and was the main reason that so many Brits purchased their first TV that year. I remember the joy and pride of that sunny day so well, and I also remember that Sir Edward Hillary and sherpa Tensing conquored Everest on the very same day. By the way, what a truly great Queen Elizabeth has turned out to be.

The 1953 FA cup final. I watched it live on TV and it's still the greatest soccer game ever played, with of course the legendary Stanley Mathews.

Oh yes, the Hopalong Cassisdy releases on 9.5mm. They were all great, and by the way, how come there are no Hoppy releases on super 8mm?

9.5mm optical sound. Still, in many ways, the best home movie show system ever invented. Those crisp, deep contrast, 9.5mm black and white prints put most B&W Super 8mm prints to shame. The best Popeye prints are all to be found on 9.5mm, the S8 prints don't even come close.

The Pat camera. What a dog! I had one, the cassette always jammed up, and the lens was worse than a marble - the reason I went out and bought a Eumig double 8mm camera!

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Wayne Tuell
Master Film Handler

- posted April 26, 2011 07:32 PM      Profile for Wayne Tuell   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Tuell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great post Doug [Smile]

quote:

Oh yes, the Hopalong Cassisdy releases on 9.5mm. They were all great, and by the way, how come there are no Hoppy releases on super 8mm

Hoppy was released in S8mm. I have one somewhere that was put out in a plastic box, similar to old cassette cases so I'd date it in maybe the 70's.

--------------------
www.16mmDrive-InFilms.com

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted April 29, 2011 02:43 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice that Doug and the 9-5 Sound print of the Coronation is in the archive here as are the Paul Temple movies. The Pat camera was awful but does make for a good door stop.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted April 29, 2011 02:45 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's always puzzled me why Pathescope seemed to always put out cheap and problematic equipment. I guess the 200B was their best projector, but then you have the Gem and the Son, which both had film handling issues, and I gather the Son also had real issues as a sound machine. The Pat camera was supposed to be an entry level camera into 9.5mm cinematography, but all it did was dissapoint and madden all the Pathescope customers who bought it - like me! Pathescope were a strange company at many levels. They had a great film format, 9.5mm film, but just did not seem to know how to design and market good equipment to support it.
It seems that the parent French Pathe company produced much higher quality equipment than the UK operation.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC