Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halloween WTB (how rare is it on S8?)

Howdy friends!

I was watching a John Clancy Movie Collector episode on Halloween, which is greatly enjoyable, when he pulled out his Super 8 full feature of Halloween!

I don’t know why this surprised me to see a full feature would be on S8, but I had never seen it before.

so I wanted to ask how rare a copy is and hopefully would love to hunt down a copy of able!

I bet that it's not too rare on super 8, but such a cult title that folks tend to hold onto it, and it is a very nice Derann scope print too, bit I prefer my "The Fog", over "Halloween".

Comment

Originally posted by Osi Osgood View Post
      I bet that it's not too rare on super 8, but such a cult title that folks tend to hold onto it, and it is a very nice Derann scope print too, bit I prefer my "The Fog", over "Halloween".
      That's great, Osi! I Have The Fog and Halloween on 16mm scope, but my Halloween is very red so was interested in seeing about hunting down another one! When I saw that Mr. Clancy had one on Super 8 it peaked my interest and wanted to hunt one down!

I love them both, but I agree that I prefer my copy of The Fog. It's so atmospheric to begin with, but even more so when you watch a film copy of it!

Comment

I'm not sure how rare it is. It was in the catalogue (1992?) that featured the first Disney feature. If not many prints were made i would expect it was due to either negative wear or loss of sale when the bulk Disney releases took people's attention. Unfortunately that was the last catalogue of Derann's that I bought, so I can't say if it was in the next one.

Comment

That if very interesting to hear about! I would love if someone who owns it would post a review of their copy on here in the Super 8 film review archive at some point!

Half the fun of film collecting is the thrill of the hunt, so I look forward to finding a copy for my Super 8 machine to run during the holidays someday!

Comment

Lincoln, you are quite correct in the fun of the search! If I ever find a decent copy of "The Life and Times of Grizzly Adams" optical feature, there will be a part of me that will actually feel down, believe it or not, as, anyone who has been on this forum for ten or more years, knows that I have been seeking a good copy for a lonnnnng time!

Comment

Lincoln, you are quite correct in the fun of the search! If I ever find a decent copy of "The Life and Times of Grizzly Adams" optical feature, there will be a part of me that will actually feel down, believe it or not, as, anyone who has been on this forum for ten or more years, knows that I have been seeking a good copy for a lonnnnng time!
              I’ll certainly keep my eye out (and maybe even both of them!) if I run across one for you while I try to nab a S8 Feature of Halloween!

I would certainly love to add it to my small collection!

Comment

Hi Lincoln
                I am also looking for this cult title for decades now and I suppose it to be rather rare. I heard about a print or have seen one on ebay maybe 3 times only.
                But we collectors have learned to have all the time in the world…

Comment

Originally posted by Oliver Feld View Post
                  Hi Lincoln
                  I am also looking for this cult title for decades now and I suppose it to be rather rare. I heard about a print or have seen one on ebay maybe 3 times only.
                  But we collectors have learned to have all the time in the world…
                  That we do! I wish us both all the best luck in finding this great feature for us to enjoy over the years to come!

Comment

Well I appreciate you keeping your eyes out, but at least douse your eyes with some visine, as your eyes will eventually dry out, (a little creepy humor fitting the subject, haha!)

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	32A855D0-40C6-44FF-85D9-2EEE19FDBFA9.jpeg
Views:	691
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	38749
                      Well I appreciate you keeping your eyes out, but at least douse your eyes with some visine, as your eyes will eventually dry out, (a little creepy humor fitting the subject, haha!)
                      I won’t rest in my search!

Comment

...Scarce enough that I was only able to find one from a German collector and the print had been dubbed in German. The Derann release. This was prior to having acquired a GS-1200 and Renzo box so I sent the print to Lance in California for an English Re-record. He determined that the sound stripe was too inferior to realize a stereo re-mix but settled on a Dolby Digital Mono recording. Lance worked his wonders and my print sounds great. I mention this so you are aware in your hunt for this print. The stripe used at the time may be flaking off by now on most prints. As for the overall quality,
                        I agree The Fog is a sharper print but Halloween in scope on LPP stock is a print to watch out for!

Comment

Originally posted by Burton Sundquist View Post
                          ...Scarce enough that I was only able to find one from a German collector and the print had been dubbed in German. The Derann release. This was prior to having acquired a GS-1200 and Renzo box so I sent the print to Lance in California for an English Re-record. He determined that the sound stripe was too inferior to realize a stereo re-mix but settled on a Dolby Digital Mono recording. Lance worked his wonders and my print sounds great. I mention this so you are aware in your hunt for this print. The stripe used at the time may be flaking off by now on most prints. As for the overall quality,
                          I agree The Fog is a sharper print but Halloween in scope on LPP stock is a print to watch out for!
                          I'd be more than happy to find someone to re-record it for me in english if I was able to find a dubbed LPP feature for my Super 8! It seems to be a feature that many are reluctant to let go of, so I'll just have to wait and find that person willing to give it a new home! Preferably mine.

Comment

Lincoln. Derek Simmonds of Derann asked little me to write a review of it when it was released forwarding the first answer print (test print) for viewing. After me projecting it to local collectors several times Derek called to collect it as he popped by if in the area. I remember telling him your not expecting it back are you?
                            I wound up purchasing it that day and by todays standards of new prints it is a bit soft on screen but still good. It was sold with mono sound at first but I soon.put mine to Stereo which lifted the whole experience.
                            My print sits in a special memory box section of my collection along with others.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Mannering View Post
                              Lincoln. Derek Simmonds of Derann asked little me to write a review of it when it was released forwarding the first answer print (test print) for viewing. After me projecting it to local collectors several times Derek called to collect it as he popped by if in the area. I remember telling him your not expecting it back are you?
                              I wound up purchasing it that day and by todays standards of new prints it is a bit soft on screen but still good. It was sold with mono sound at first but I soon.put mine to Stereo which lifted the whole experience.
                              My print sits in a special memory box section of my collection along with others.
                              That’s a great story, Lee! I think I would have done the same thing as you and bought it right on the spot! Haha! Halloween is just one of those pillars of film for me that I can never get tired to watching.

Comment

Working...
                              X