Elmo ST800 replacement LEAD BALANCE WEIGHT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elmo ST800 replacement LEAD BALANCE WEIGHT

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement for the large round cast lead/metal weight? I received a projector with the weight broken. Part circled in red in photo. Click image for larger version

Name:	Inkedfilm_52_Sound ST-800 Magnetic_1511608421997_LI.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	182.6 KB
ID:	43055

Hi Charles,

That's a flywheel. Its job is to smooth the pulsating motion of the film from the claw at the gate so it can flow at a uniform speed over the sound head.

I don't see anything wrong with the one in the picture, is this a picture of the one that's broken?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Klare View Post
      ... I don't see anything wrong with the one in the picture, is this a picture of the one that's broken?
      I've never known a flywheel to be broken. Perhaps Charles could explain further.

Comment

Well, I suppose it is possible for one of these to literally become broken.

-I'd hate to image what the projector it was installed in would look like afterwards, but it's at least possible!

Comment

I believe that this is not an actual picture of Charles' projector.
          It does seem to be an original from Van Eck's website.
          Elmo Sound ST-800 Magnetic – Spare Part Finder – Van Eck Video Services (van-eck.net)

Comment

I saw "Elmo ST800 replacement LEAD" and I thought "Oh, NO! -another lost power cord!" (-bad one to lose, too...)

Then I saw "LEAD balancing" and I thought "It's a single phase circuit: it's automatically balanced!

Then I saw "weight", and I finally gave up and opened the thread.

(Besides, I'm pretty sure it's aluminum!)

Comment

I’ve just received an ST800 as part of a bulk film purchase and it is in excellent condition, except for no sound… time to take it the “repair shop”…. I have a GS1200 and a couple of ST1200s but this ST800 seems like a very nice projector. Sorry for the off topic comment.

Comment

Very often the ones sitting around waiting for a new home build up oxides on the switches that the audio signals can't get past.

This often works, not always, but often enough:

https://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-b...c;f=1;t=009425

Comment

Thanks Steve, I will certainly try that and report back.

Comment

This is my broken flywheel. Help me find a new one. It is weirdly cracked all over even on the rim.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Titone View Post
                      This is my broken flywheel. Help me find a new one. It is weirdly cracked all over even on the rim.
                      I was reapiring a water faucet made of (kind like) steel recently. It was old. When I turned it left to get it loose, it broke like that. There were crackings everywhere and some parts became like chips and powdery.

So I believe there is a material that would be like that after years although it looks strong and heavy.

Just a thought.

Cheers,
                      Winbert

Comment

A slightly bad casting can sometime take years to reveal its faults. That's why the ultrasonically test railway vehicle axles periodically to see if any potentially dangerous cracks start appearing.

Comment

Charles

I have never seen such a disaster in an Elmo.

Certain spares are non existent for a projector that is probably now about 50 years old, although Van Eck in the Netherlands do manufacture some spare parts for Elmos.

I suggest you try and find a projector which is being sold for repairs or spares. But probably not cheap. Here is one here in the UK on eBay.

Vintage Elmo ST800 Super 8 Sound Projector Untested Spare & Repair #101 | eBay

Last edited by Maurice Leakey; September 28, 2021, 08:44 AM.

Comment

theres a web page called todocoleccion is Spain where you can buy the part with others for a cheap price, try to register and contact the seller using a traslator if necessary. The flywheel he sells is from a st 600 but its the same part for the 800, heres is the link conjunto de piezas de recambio de proyector cin - Comprar Proyectores Antiguos en todocoleccion - 286240403
                            Last edited by Jose Artiles; September 30, 2021, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the link. Just to let everyone know I located all the parts I needed right here in North Carolina! I am changing out the ph163 plug for a standard iec connector, got the part from digikey. Belts were goo ebay supplied the belts for replacement. Keeping my fingers crossed it all comes together without any other problems.

Comment

Working...
                              X