No announcement yet.

Emel p73

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The projector (like most of my collection) is 125v but I always have a transformer at hand.
    The funny thing is that when I plugged it in, smoke started coming out of the transformer, so I guess it has an internal electrical problem.​

Comment

Someone should start a repair shop for those of us who are not good mechanics.

Comment

If smoke was coming out of your 220 to 110 volt step down transformer it probably now has shorted windings inside and is probably ruined. I recommend you no longer use that transformer!
        ​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Rodrigo Lueje View Post
          Someone should start a repair shop for those of us who are not good mechanics.
          If you live in Barcelona or in that area, I can recommand you someone

Comment

I live quite far from Barcelona but the parcel services work very well.

Comment

Those older projectors draw a lot more current than the newer ones. It could be that your transformer could not handle it (hence the smoke) and the projector might be fine. The bulb alone could use up 5 to 6 Amps at 120V and maybe another two for the motor. . What is (or was) the output rating on your transformer?

Comment

The transformer has a capacity of up to 750W. I have already connected 500W projectors to it without any problem. The projector has a power failure

Comment

8 amps at 120 volts is 960 watts.

Comment

The transformer has a capacity of up to 750W. I have already connected 500W projectors to it without any problem. The projector has a power failure
                    That's kind of borderline. IIRC, those bulbs can be 500W or 750W (4.8A to 6.25A).For an older motoer like that, allow another 2A (240 Watts) and you at 740W at the low end and close to a KW at the high end.

Not saying the projector is definitely good, just that there is a possibility it is not as bad as you think. Super easy way to test is just without the bulb (well under 750W that way) and see if it runs. They are incredibly basic electrically so unless something is shorting or the motor seized up , there is not to go wrong in that respect. You maay have done that already and if so, my apologies. ​

I thinkk the knob on the front is also directly connected to the motor. If you can turn it, the motor is not seized. ETA - Actually, my mistake I think the knob is NOT directly connected, but connectied via a belt.
                    Of course, you could be absolutely correct in that the projector has an issue, but if it was MY projector, I would be want to verify the issue was the projector before I thught about sending it off.
                    Last edited by Alister Hibbert; December 02, 2022, 09:28 AM.

Comment

What you are talking about is very difficult for me, how do I know the amps?

Comment

What you are talking about is very difficult for me, how do I know the amps?
                        Amps is basically Watts divided by Voltage. Things like motors and lamps draw ('pull') current (measured in amps). Household circuit capacity is measured in amps.

Lamps are typically marked in watts so its easy to calculate how much current they draw. Motors are harder to determine without a multimeter (unless they are marked with a plate telling you), so I am making a guess at how much to allow for it.

The point is that the motor and lamp will try to pull x amount of amps total. If that total is more than 6.25A, it will exceed the capacity of the transformer. If the bulb is a 750W bulb, then it does not matter what the motor is rated at as you have already maxed out the transformer.

One last note, even if you have a multimeter, don't try to test it. You have to make the multimeter part of the circuit to measure current and that can dangerous with household levels of current, so you really need to know what you are doing to avoid getting zapped or blowing up the meter.

Comment

So, in my case it would be 2.4 amps, right?
                          125V and lamp 300W

Comment

So, in my case it would be 2.4 amps, right?
                            125V and lamp 300W
                            Correct, that would leave you a little under 4A available for the motor. That should be more than enough. I just tested my Keystone K109, which is a similar style of projector and the with the motor only om it draws a little over 1A (so allowing for 2A is plenty).

With the lamp on, mine is drawing 7.3A as my bulb is much higher wattage

So if your bulb is only 300W, it should be under the 750W limit for the transformer.

I would still try turning the motor by hand and if is not seized, try the projector briefly without a bulb.

Comment

Yea, the motor issue still has not been resolved. Has the motor ever run at all on this projector, regardless of the lamp issue? You have never once mentioned the motor running or not, even before the the step down transformer smoked.

Could it be possible that someone connected the projector to the 220 volt mains without a step down transformer in the past?

Comment

I also have a Keystone K109 which works perfectly at 125V. I just got the EMEL and haven't tried it before so I guess it was already broken. The motor rotation does not appear to be faulty. I have it at an electrical service to have it checked as I have not received the contract from the Barcelona service.

Comment

Working...
                                X