No announcement yet.

Selecting a projector for both formats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Sankyo is better? 1000 or 1000H/2000H?

Comment

Originally posted by Shane C. Collins View Post

Oh OK that makes a lot of sense now! Yeah digitizing films for that purpose will work well! The early Eumig's are set up for 18 and 24 fps. Although, I think there might be a way to slow the projectors down a bit, so you can play films at 16 fps. However, I forget what the procedure is for doing this. It may have something to do with changing the cycle switch or lever in the back of the machine. Although, I may be completely wrong here.
      Yes flipping the Hz lever allows the speed change slider to go down further and if still on a 50Hz power supply allow slower than 18fps (minimum 15fps, by my calculations)

Comment

Originally posted by Vitali Vadim View Post
        Which Sankyo is better? 1000 or 1000H/2000H?
        Can't remember the exact detail at the moment, but at the very least try avoiding ANY models using obsolete 8v 50w lamp. The replacement lamp alone may cost about as much as the projector itself.😰 Later models using still available EFP 12v 100w lamp is much more desirable.

That higher model 200H, if I'm not mistaken, would have added functions such as still/slow motion. So that depends if that's worth the (possibly) higher price.

Comment

Is a dual format projector always a compromise? Would it be better to use different projectors for each format? Perhaps the Eumig S709 is an excellent universal projector, which was written about here. I'm not sure I can buy it. It is rare and very heavy weight.

Comment

The Eumig Mark S 709 is far from a rare projector and readily available on all the european eBay sites. The rarer model is the Mark S 701 dedicated to Super 8...the rest of the early ones are common as dirt. But don't expect to find one that won't need some work because they're very old now. The same now applies to the later 800 series as well unless you buy a machine that has been refurbished with new motor mounts, etc. All projectors now are over 40 years old and will need maintenance of some kind, whether a drive belt has turned to goo, rock hard grease, dirty switches and the list goes on.

Comment

I see on the photo that Eumig S709 has two sprockets.
              Do Eumig 810D and Bolex 18-3 Duo have them too?​

Comment

I see on the photo that Eumig S709 has two sprockets.
                Do Eumig 810D and Bolex 18-3 Duo have them too?​
                Yes, the Eumig 810D does in fact have 2 sprockets, front and rear. The Bolex 18-3 Duo is a sprocket-less projector. The nice feature of the 709 is the open sprocket design compared to the later 800 series. If there is a film issue, while using the 709, you can quickly see what's going on, and correct the problem. With a closed designed machine like the 810D you run the risk of having the film get chewed up before even knowing this is happening. I've owned many projectors over the years. I have come to really like the open sprocket designs of projectors like the 709, and all the early Eumig machines from that era.
                Last edited by Shane C. Collins; October 23, 2023, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Do projectors differ in terms of film wear?
                  I understood correctly. that sound projectors wear out films more? Only Eumig projectors with a tube amplifier are more careful with films.​

Comment

Do projectors differ in terms of film wear?
                    I understood correctly. that sound projectors wear out films more? Only Eumig projectors with a tube amplifier are more careful with films.​
                    I'm not sure about the other projectors but that is true about the early Eumig's. The 709 is a real workhorse and very gentle on sound and silent films

Comment

Thanks everyone for the answers! The best projector, according to experienced owners, is the S 709D. But I want to ask, is the 810D worth buying? It has two sprockets and sound for both formats. Will it wear out the movies more because of the sound block?

Comment

Well, the earlier Eumig sound projectors like the Mark S (both standard 8 and Super 8 versions), the 701 and the 709 retract all needed sound equipment from the film path when the amplifier is turned off thereby in essence converting itself automatically to a true silent projector. When the amplifier is turned on the pinch roller lowers onto the capstan and the sound head clamps the soundtrack for running sound films. It's quite an ingenious system actually!

Eumig transistorized sound projectors treats all films as if they are sound films, which includes the 810D. In other words, the sound heads are always in contact with the film and the pinch roller is always engaged and in the film path at all times. Not to mention the sound amplifier always running when needed or not and in most cases humming especially with the 800 series. I'm told having the sound heads and pinch roller always engaged does not hurt the film but myself I prefer them disengaged when running silent film...one less contact area is always a good thing with film.
                        Last edited by Joseph Banfield; November 01, 2023, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Eumig made projectors without sound for both formats and with 2 sprockets? Other companies, Elmo, Bolex, made such projectors?

Comment

Eumig made projectors without sound for both formats and with 2 sprockets? Other companies, Elmo, Bolex, made such projectors?
                            Eumig did make silent dual gauge projectors. The one that comes to mind is the Eumig Mark 8 from 1967. This was a full auto-loading machine. It also uses separate gates and sprockets for either Standard 8 or Super 8. Now this machine is an early Eumig, it also uses the twist to focus lenses. It also incorporates the FCR bulb like the sound machines of the same era.

Elmo also made a few very nice dual 8 projectors. The FP series, and the GP made later in the early 70's. The FP series uses a sliding mechanism to change formats. The GP series also used a sliding mechanism. Both series are pretty robust and quite reliable. The GP also has a flip down front, so you can see the film as it's being threaded from the supply reel to the take-up reel. The GP model also has a variable speed control dial. You can dial the speed from about 8 fps to 25 fps.

Click image for larger version  Name:	elmo_gp_deluxe.jpg Views:	0 Size:	46.2 KB ID:	90019

Click image for larger version  Name:	s-l1600.jpg Views:	0 Size:	164.4 KB ID:	90020
                            Last edited by Shane C. Collins; November 05, 2023, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Elmo K100SM not the most successful series?

Comment

After attempting repair on five different film projectors (success with B&H 185, Eumig and Chinon; complete failure with the Kodak Pageant and the Kodak Moviedeck), I can say from my limited experience that Eumig design is straightforward and it appears that they kept things the same for many years. The 709 looks like a really rugged piece of kit. I love the way it looks.

Comment

Working...
                                X