No announcement yet.

Selecting a projector for both formats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Shane! At first I wanted to buy Eumig mark 610D. I liked the one-second format switching and slow speeds. I started looking for reviews and found this forum, the old version. After reading about it on the forum, I changed my mind about buying it.
    What are some good Eumig projectors without sound, for both formats or for one of them?​

Comment

Originally posted by Vitali Vadim View Post
      Thanks Shane! At first I wanted to buy Eumig mark 610D. I liked the one-second format switching and slow speeds. I started looking for reviews and found this forum, the old version. After reading about it on the forum, I changed my mind about buying it.
      What are some good Eumig projectors without sound, for both formats or for one of them?​
      There are several silent models Eumig made back in the old days. Two that come to mind are the Eumig Mark 8 that is a dual gauge machine. The other is the Eumig Mark M that plays silent Super 8. Both use twist-to-focus 32.5 mm lenses, and 100 watt FCR halogen bulbs. I had the Mark M and liked it for the most part. The full auto loading mechanism works most of the time, but can be finicky as well. I much prefer the semi auto loading on the early Eumig machines like the 701 and 709. Remember you can run silent films on these early sound machines with the heads retracted. These sound machines are well equipment to play both. I think of these projectors as silent/sound combination machines. You could own one and never run a sound film. They are certainly fine for that purpose.

Comment

What is the function of sprockets? Do they rotate passively as the film passes, or are they motor driven and transport the film?

Comment

What is the function of sprockets? Do they rotate passively as the film passes, or are they motor driven and transport the film?
          The sprockets pick up the film, and transport it through the film guides, and gate. They help to keep the film moving steadily along with the correct rotation, speed, etc. The sprockets are normally part of the gearing system, and are rotating when the projector is put into forward or reverse play. Sprockets are more reliable than a machine using a sprocket-less design in my opinion. And as you probably guessed the film's sprocket holes are evenly spaced so they line up with the sprockets for proper transport. That's my explanation, and others here can probably explain it more precise...

Comment

I can buy Eumig Wien P8 M imperial very cheaply and in excellent condition. The lamp is 100 watts, this is written on the sign on the projector. On the other side it has different rollers for the magnetic tape from the tape recorder! This is the first time I've seen this. How good is this projector? Good in terms of image quality, comfort and careful handling of the film.

Comment

It was very good in its day and very popular with amateur film makers as it had the built in tape synchroniser which enabled sound recorded on tape recorder to be added to a film. It pre dates magnetic sound film. It is also just standard 8 not dual 8. It was also one of the first to use a 12 volt 100watt halogen lamp. Not really suitable for your requirements. Shane’s advice is your best bet

Comment

Vitali, I thought you were looking for a dual gauge projector? As Ken mentioned the P8 does not fit your needs. I would say these are well built machines, and time has proven they were very good. I believe Paul Adsett has one in his collection, and likes it. But, if you have Super 8 films this won't work! Here would be my list of both silent, and sound projectors. I'm listing these since I either own one or had one that was similar. This thread has been ongoing since September. I'm surprised at this point you haven't found a projector?

Eumig Mark S 709 dual gauge sound and silent.
                Eumig Mark 8 dual gauge silent only.
                Elmo FP8-C dual gauge silent only.
                Elmo SP Hi Deluxe dual gauge only.

Comment

The eumig 600D series are good reliable dual gauge projectors but the early ones like the 607D & 610D had a poor focus design. The later 614 and 624 had a redesigned and better focus control which was also used in the 900 sound series. Also the 624 has a lamp pre heat setting like the earlier ones but the 614 did not.

Comment

I bought a Eumig mark 8 in excellent condition. Does it make sense to buy a Bolex SM8 for super 8 sound? Is this a good projector? Does it have 2 sprockets?

Comment

I think the Bolex SM8 is actually a super 8 procjector from Eumig rebadged, similar to an 800 series, so should have two sprockets.
                      Last edited by Brian Fretwell; March 29, 2024, 07:08 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

I have a Bolex S M 8E. The mechanics are the same as the Eumigs as Brian has said, so it dos have two sprockets. The amplifier however is different to the one in my Eumig 810d.

Comment

I bought a Eumig mark 8 in excellent condition. Does it make sense to buy a Bolex SM8 for super 8 sound? Is this a good projector? Does it have 2 sprockets?
                          The SM8 started out being built by Bolex. By the early 70's, Eumig was building this projector for Bolex. I have this model myself, but I don't care for the loading mechanism. It some times will eat a leader film if not trimmed properly. Same goes for the Eumig Mark 8. It is important the leader is properly trimmed or the auto loader will chew the leader film. It's a big reason why I prefer the Eumig Mark S 709's semi auto loading mechanism. This loading system gets it right every time! Let us know how the Mark 8 performs for you!

Comment

How good is this projector? Good in terms of image quality, comfort and careful handling of the film.
                            The Eumig P. 8 is one of the best Regular-8 film projectors. It has a strictly straight-pulling two-prongs claw in the same relation to the optical axis as the best cameras have, a very high light-to-dark ratio, a cheap O-ring for the connection of mechanism and motor, a multi-tension transformer built in, and a halogen bulb with the NOVO models. Threading is simple and fast.

It runs at about 20 frames per second maximum speed.

The sound coupling arrangement works together with a reel-to-reel magnetic tape recorder that runs at 3¾​ inches per second. The tape goes to the projector after the heads and returns onto the take-up reel. A spring-loaded lever that guides a contact over a resistor internally is held in balance between the speed of the tape and the speed of the projector, ideally 16 fps. I have worked with the system, the accuracy lies within three seconds over the length of ten minutes (120 ft). Enhancement would call for double tape speed, a sprocket roller en lieu of the ground rubber one, and perforated tape or 8-mm. magnetic film.

I am preparing an offer that includes a synchronous motor instead of the original one, a better blower wheel, a timing belt drive, and a modern base for halogen lamps. After the conversion the P. 8 will run at 960 frames per minute or 16 per second with the precision of the 50 Hz electricity grid. The transformer will be removed and 230 or 240 Volt bulbs used.

The Euprovar zoom lens is not very good. I recommend the fixed focus lenses that can be found time and again. My offer will include reaming of the lens receptacle to 25 mm diameter, if desired, so that a variety of lenses can be employed.

Comment

It's working fine so far. The leaders are new and well-formed. The bad thing is that Eumig projectors have plastic optics. They didn't put glass lenses on their projectors!

Comment

It's working fine so far. The leaders are new and well-formed. The bad thing is that Eumig projectors have plastic optics. They didn't put glass lenses on their projectors!
                                That's why the earlier machines are better as all the lenses are made from glass. The best lens Eumig ever made was the Suprovar 1.0 18-25 mm zoom lens. I have this on my Mark 709 and it beats all other lenses both zoom and prime! If you can find this lens buy it! Your projector should be the standard lens fitting of 32.5 mm.

Comment

Working...
                                X