Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Digital Camera Recommendation for DIY Telecine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stan Jelavic View Post
    Hi Steve,
    I think either way would work. With the Winait you may be able to get closer to the gate a use a single macro lens possibly or even rig up a mount with two lenses if a single lens cannot reach. So the only mod is the front plate cut mod and mounting on a board which you need in any case. The motor mod and the trigger is already there. That is my thinking anyways.
    I do have a set of Kenko Extension Tubes , and I think I may have a reversing ring too, so the Macro should be able to get very close I imagine

Comment

Don't think your 28mm lens will work with either approach since the distance from the film to your lens is only like 1 cm. With the Winait the stepper is in the way and none of the projectors that I know will let you get that close to the film with that lens. But you can try reverse mount it an test the working distance. Here is a quick calculation.
      At 1x magnification in reverse mount the distance from the lens to the film is 28mm*2 = 56mm which may be good enough to clear the stepper for the Winait.
      At 1x magnification you get the image on the sensor equal to the size of the film. This will still give you HD resolution and potentially sharp corners as well.

Comment

Don't think your 28mm lens will work with either approach since the distance from the film to your lens is only like 1 cm. With the Winait the stepper is in the way and none of the projectors that I know will let you get that close to the film with that lens. But you can try reverse mount it an test the working distance. Here is a quick calculation.
        At 1x magnification in reverse mount the distance from the lens to the film is 28mm*2 = 56mm which may be good enough to clear the stepper for the Winait.
        At 1x magnification you get the image on the sensor equal to the size of the film. This will still give you HD resolution and potentially sharp corners as well.
        These are all the lenses I have

(all Canon)

EF-II 50mm
        15-45mm
        28-105
        22mm
        Macro Lens as previously mentioned

Extension tubes
        Reversing Ring

Comment

You have a good selection there. Reverse mount these lenses and test the distance from the front of the lens to the object. You can also remove the Winait gate and stepper assembly (pretty easy to do) and power up the led from the Hawkeye board and test it outside of the unit.

Comment

You have a good selection there. Reverse mount these lenses and test the distance from the front of the lens to the object. You can also remove the Winait gate and stepper assembly (pretty easy to do) and power up the led from the Hawkeye board and test it outside of the unit.
            Not had chance yet, it seems the reverse ring I have for the EOS-M is only 52mm so will only work on the EF Lenses not the EOS-M, they seem to be 43mm and I cant find one for that size

Comment

You can carefully place the reversed lens next to the ring an see if you can get the film in focus. What is the front thread of your lenses?

Comment

Working...
              X