No announcement yet.

Film Weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Occasionally I also take a video break and delve into the wonderful world of 35mm. Although it is really a Christmas film, last week I watched Edward Scissorhand for Halloween weekend, an original release 35mm Dolby A Stereo print. It is the story of a young man raised and home schooled by his father. After his fathers death, he ventures out into the world where he becomes a landscaper, dog groomer, and finally a hair stylist. Unfortunately a pretty girl leads him astray and his life goes down hill from there. This Tim Burton film is Vincent Price's last film, with a great Danny Elfman score. It is a favorite of mine.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	small projector 01.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	46074

Name:	small projector 02.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	46081

Name:	small ES 01.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	46075

Name:	small ES 02.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	46076

Name:	small ES 04.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	46077

Name:	small ES 07.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	46078

Name:	small ES 09.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	46079

Name:	small ES 06.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	46080

Comment

Mitchell

That's a nice set up you have there, "Edward Scissorhand" is one of my "better half" favorite movies, looks like a nice 35mm print.

Comment

Thank You. More photos of my home screening room can be found by Clicking Here to my thread in the forum's Screening Room Photos section.

Comment

Thanks for the link back to the old forum. The James Bond pinball machine looks just great, as with your home cinema. Your pick to use a Kinoton projector is a good one, as I have found the Kinoton to be a incredibly quiet running projector, compared with many others when sitting close to.

Comment

Not last night but two weekends ago, with another screening of this one

The print quality is really outstanding, I do have "The Pod Race" on Scope Super 8, which I think is really good even with mono sound. However with 35mm and Dolby Digital soundtrack its a whole new level, glad the neighbors were out that night

Its takes a bit of time setting things up for a screening but when the projector starts I "am" in for a treat, anyway a couple of photos from that night. I have left the film on the platter just in case I might want to give things another enjoyable screen blasting very soon

Name:	P1210446.JPG
Views:	278
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	47811

Name:	P1210453.JPG
Views:	268
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	47812

Name:	P1210543.JPG
Views:	268
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	47813

Name:	P1210557.JPG
Views:	270
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	47814

Name:	P1210570.JPG
Views:	266
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	47815

Name:	P1210571.JPG
Views:	270
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	47816

Name:	P1210587.JPG
Views:	269
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	47817

Name:	P1210598.JPG
Views:	290
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	47818

Name:	P1210606.JPG
Views:	265
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	47819

Name:	P1210615.JPG
Views:	265
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	47820

Comment

Amazing 35mm quality Graham. The black level is awesome - puts any home digital projector to shame.

Comment

Wow Graham - those pics look incredible and fantastic! 😯😊

Comment

Thanks Paul and Ali

I think its a good combination of the lamp, the lenses and of coarse the prints that gives it that look .

There was one film I screened a while back which I would recommend to folks to watch and that's the Steven Spielberg film "The War Horse" also directed by the man himself. Its a real joy running the Ernemann 2 projector and glad that I saved the platter from going to the scrap when the cinema closed. Watching films with any length of running time without stopping is great.

On the sound side most 35mm film prints have a more dynamic range of quality sound, much better than blu-ray being fed into the same amplifier. The ideal home theatre sound though, would be to have separate amps for each channel, but that is something I wont be doing at home.

A couple of screen shots of "The War Horse" taken the last time I screened it at home.

Name:	P1050829.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	47912

Name:	P1050794.JPG
Views:	252
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	47913

Name:	P1050832.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	47914

Name:	P1050850.JPG
Views:	251
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	47915

Name:	P1050921.JPG
Views:	251
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	47916

Name:	P1050929.JPG
Views:	258
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	47917

Comment

Wow! I've never seen a Blue Ray film - but for me (and my untrained eyes) I wouldn't bother when film (whatever gauge) with the right projector and set-up can be as good that!! 🙂

Comment

With Christmas just around the corner "The Polar Express" is going to get another screening along with Jim Carry in "A Christmas Carol", that one is not really suited for very young children a bit to scary, but it saying that its very well made in the true sense of Charles Dickens, so will see what that one is like as well .

Its been a couple of years since I last watched it with my grandson who is always keen of operating the Ernemann 2 when he is here for a visit

Comment

Really love seeing that projector running Graham 🙂

And with your grandson's keen eyes it makes sense to have someone that young do the focussing! 😉

Comment

Thanks Ali I think he has the film bug as well

Comment

Well that would be great Graham - this wonderful hobby of ours needs all the enthusiasts it can get, young and the not so young! 🙂

Comment

Well, I went slumming again in the land of 35mm and ran off Laurel & Hardy's Babes In Toyland for Thanksgiving. This is a perennial Thanksgiving Holiday movie going back to my childhood, broadcast every year for decades here in the New York City metro region on WPIX Channel 11. In fact, they owned (and may still own) the copyright on the film. Note that March Of The Wooden Soldiers is the same film, but a shorter version of the from some 1950's re-issues.

Click image for larger version  Name:	toyland 01.jpg Views:	0 Size:	44.2 KB ID:	48273

Click image for larger version  Name:	toyland 02.jpg Views:	0 Size:	47.1 KB ID:	48274

Click image for larger version  Name:	toyland 03.jpg Views:	0 Size:	25.0 KB ID:	48275

Click image for larger version  Name:	toyland 04.jpg Views:	0 Size:	26.4 KB ID:	48276

Click image for larger version  Name:	toyland 05.jpg Views:	0 Size:	17.9 KB ID:	48277

Click image for larger version  Name:	toyland 06.jpg Views:	0 Size:	23.3 KB ID:	48279

Comment

Hi all,

superb pictures - lovely to see.

I have to say though after the quote -

Wow! I've never seen a Blue Ray film - but for me (and my untrained eyes) I wouldn't bother when film (whatever gauge) with the right projector and set-up can be as good that!!
                                Ali Hipperson

Sorry, I dont agree and I have had some top quality titles in both 8mm and 16mm.

My Video projection set-up give picture quality equal and in most cases far better than anything Ive had on film. My best is about eqaul to the 35mm pics that Grahame has posted which are exceptional.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                                X