No announcement yet.

Film Weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

-which was released theatrically with The NeverEnding Story II: The Next Chapter

An interesting little artifact of another short's history!

(There's often a back story in these prints.)

Comment

I ran a Scope reel the other night on the Ernemann 2, which included the "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" trailer in the Scope aspect ratio. The feature was only ever released in 1:85.1 flat ratio. Its nice to see the difference with some quick screen shots. .
      Click image for larger version

Name:	P1270906.JPG
Views:	261
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	62878

Name:	P1270913.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	62879

Name:	P1270914.JPG
Views:	262
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	62880

Name:	P1270915.JPG
Views:	262
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	62881

Name:	P1270916.JPG
Views:	266
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	62882

Name:	P1270918.JPG
Views:	247
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	62883

Name:	P1270928.JPG
Views:	242
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	62884

Name:	P1270931.JPG
Views:	242
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	62885

Name:	P1270939.JPG
Views:	246
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	62886

Comment

Brilliant 35mm quality Scope print plus a "Morecambe and Wise" take on it .

Name:	P1260645.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	63151

Name:	P1260647.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	63152

Name:	P1260648.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	63153

Name:	P1260654.JPG
Views:	228
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	63154

Name:	P1260658.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	63155

Name:	P1260666.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	63156

Comment

Great print Graham. The "Morecambe and Wise" spoof from Youtube is a keeper. What is the official name of the 35mm cartoon you ran? I love collecting classis WB cartoons (in any format)...

Comment

"I Tawt I Taw A Puddy Tat"

I just had a look on you-tube here it is .

Comment

Ed I don't know if you have already seen this one, but I up loaded it to you-tube a while back. I set the video camera up to record directly of the screen while using the Ernemann 2 projector. One thing I find with 35mm prints is the outstanding sound I get with it going through the old cinema Dolby Digital processor.

Comment

CHC are hoping to release "I Tawt I Taw a Puddy Cat" on Super 8, it was mentioned as a possibility in their last list . If you are interested let them know.

Comment

Originally posted by Graham Ritchie View Post
                  "I Tawt I Taw A Puddy Tat"

I just had a look on you-tube here it is .
                  Thanks for finding that Graham. I look around I did not see this. 2k/Scope with the voices of Mel Blanc and June Foray is an added bonus! I noticed that the youtube video has a wider aspect ratio than the screen shots of the 35mm version. Do you have your home cinema setup for constant height, and sacrifice some on the sides to get a larger image? On my setup I try for constant height (for 1.33 to 16.9) but for scope (2.35 to 2.60) I zoom out to fill the screen side to side and sacrifice some height.

Here is a frame grab from the youtube version of the cartoon:

Name:	I Tawted frame grab.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	63263

Comment

Hi Ed

I go for constant height with the 35mm 1:85.1, 2.35:1, Super8 "flat" and 16mm "flat" also the Epson VP for all 1:66.1 or 1:85:1 Only the side masking moves in or out. The exception is 2:35.1 blu-ray and Super 8 Scope. I adjust the top masking bring it down for that. I like everything as much as possible to fit the constant top and bottom masking. I must admit I have been getting a bit lazy of late with the VP 2:35.1, by screening it in the middle of the screen and not adjusting the image down to fit the bottom masking, followed by adjusting the top down as well.

However I will set the masking up properly if I am putting it on for others, by running the blu-ray and VP before folk arrive. When I use the Panasonic VP I can run film and because I have a small TV monitor I can cue up the blu-ray at the start the feature while the film projectors are still doing there thing. With a home made swing masking in front of the Panasonic lens, everything can be done on the monitor.

The idea is to have a smooth and quick transition from projecting film to the blu-ray with none of the menu etc ever showing up on the screen

PS I just found an old photo of the Panasonic with that swing masking, its operated from the projection box using a fishing line and weight. I still use the Panasonic as well as the Epson but I really need to make the effort to do something similar with the Epson.

Name:	pict58 063.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	63271
                    Last edited by Graham Ritchie; July 13, 2022, 07:03 PM.

Comment

• That's a nice setup you have there Graham. When I first setup my rec room as a home cinema I went with a 110" glass beaded pull down screen. When I decided to maximize screen size, I decided to build a wooden frame with matte white blackout fabric for the screen. I went with constant height configured for 2.35 aspect ratio, which gave me a wall to wall scope image 11 feet wide. I initially added side masking curtains, but found I did not have a wide enough room to accommodate side masking curtains for the rare showing of 1.33 movies. The other thing that influenced the setup is masking was only essential for film projection; digital projection rendered crisp clean borders, and masking curtains were "gilding the lily".

I have moved the majority of my digital media to a media server with about 10 terabytes of storage. It eliminates searching for discs, and everything is immediately available to view. I made an exception for 3D and UHD. Playing 3D from a PC can be a hassle. 3D player software often failed to figure out what format of 3D I was playing. UHD discs simply took up too much disk space and 99% of the time I was running 2k media. My Epson VP up-converts 2k to 4k so well that the rare showing of full 4k discs is reserved for special occasions.

The other benefit of a media server is that I can build playlists with trailers, cartoons, features and intermissions. It's nice to do it this way so that I can start the show and enjoy it with guests instead of fumbling with media throughout the show.

Movie collecting can be great fun. There are so many "toys" to play with!

Last edited by Ed Gordon; July 14, 2022, 10:25 AM.

Comment

• Brilliant Ed

I put this short video onto you tube back in 2019 concerning using the Ernemann 2 Projector.

Comment

• And this was taken in 2012

Comment

• And lastly this one with one of my favorite features "Dances With Wolves" extract shown, this is where I think film really shines. I am restricted to what lens I can get for the Ernemann 2 and the 11ft width of the screen for Scope, so the present set up for Scope will have to do .

Comment

• Graham, your platter setup is quite impressive. You've got film traveling a long way to get to the Ernemann. That elevator setup reminding me of my days at Technicolor in Seattle. I ran the Kodachrome 35/16/Double8/Super 8mm processing machine there. We had a much larger elevator in the darkroom where we loaded film into the machine. We would run back there when the elevator alarm went off in order to splice in a new reel of undeveloped film with a handheld stapler in the dark.

Comment

• Well its not the weekend, but did run the soon to be 100 year old Ernemann 2 last night, with a 2000ft reel of bits and pieces One ad I think is really neat, is the "Sony Bravia LCD" tv one which was filmed in a soon to be demolished housing estate in Glasgow. What you see here is real thing .

Here is an earlier screening of a bits pieces reel with this particular Sony add in it

Comment

Working...
                                X