8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Blackhawk boxes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Blackhawk boxes
Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 24, 2010 05:24 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...I wonder who will be the first to reply to this question?
[Big Grin]

As far as I know, Blackhawk honored Laurel and Hardy and Charlie Chaplin with their own boxes. Why didn't the following achieve that honor? Our Gang, Charley Chase, Harold Lloyd, Buster Keaton, Harry Langdon.

Now they did have Hal Roach and Mack Sennett boxes.
Were there any other actors, producers, or directors so honored?
Did they have a D.W. Griffith box?

Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 30, 2010 05:42 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shorty?

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted November 30, 2010 06:40 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Come on Shorty...we are all waiting!

John W. Black
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 30, 2010 07:51 PM      Profile for John W. Black   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No,those were the only personality boxes.Some of the older boxes that had a still from the movie on them might have had other stars.I'm still investigating that one.

--------------------
Beat em or burn em,they go up pretty quick

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 01, 2010 02:26 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here are a couple of links to where we all posted some images of different boxes

Fun With Blackhawk boxes

&

Blackhawk generic box

OH and did I ever thank you for the care package John?

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 01, 2010 02:40 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
L & H and Chaplin were their probably the biggest sellers, that is most likely the simple answer.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted December 01, 2010 05:16 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remember also that the 'A Hal Roach Comedy in 8mm' box, showed a series of filmstrips depicting Our Gang, L&H and an actor boarding a bicycle who appears a bit to resemble Chase - Might have been costly to create certain box covers depicting the likes of Turpin, Pollard, Keaton, Chase and others - Seems folks like these were relegated to the background occasionally - Thing is, no one was ever slighted - Shorty

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 01, 2010 05:59 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is a pic of Chase on the Hal Roach box -- from MIDSUMMER MUSH.
In terms of "why" -- I realize that it will be mostly conjecture -- but I'm interested in everyone's theories nonetheless. I'm still surprised that, to my knowledge, not a single person who worked at Blackhawk has ever posted on this forum.

Now given the number of releases, and what I assume were big sellers, Our Gang/Little Rascals should have had their own boxes. I believe that the number of Our Gangs BH offered well out-numbered any other film series.

Some oddities I've noticed: SONS OF THE DESERT is often sold on eBay with a Hal Roach rather than a L&H box. (My copy is in the classic L&H pink box.) Similarly, FRAMING YOUTH is often in a generic rather than a Hal Roach box. (My copy is in the generic.)

My least favorite box: probably the silver box, followed by the green with the blue collage in the center. Favorite: L&H pink box -- hands down!

John W. Black
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 01, 2010 09:30 PM      Profile for John W. Black   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad you liked it,Dino! Keep up the great work. Sometimes Blackhawk boxed films in whATEVER boxes they had handy.I once recieved an Our Gang short in an L&H box

--------------------
Beat em or burn em,they go up pretty quick

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2010 06:08 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Sometimes Blackhawk boxed films in whATEVER boxes they had handy.I once received an Our Gang short in an L&H box.
I've seen things like that on eBay. I have at least one L&H in a Hal Roach box. Technically, that's actually "correct."
Nowadays, I frequently receive films in pizza boxes!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC