8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Way Out West (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Way Out West
Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 10, 2017 08:03 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Michael De Angelis,
These pics are not longshots but they are taken using my iPad.
I think the picture isn't too soft compared to others I own.
The sound is good too.
My Standard 8mm sound film doesn't have the MGM lion and just starts with the title cards.
I can take more shots next time if you like [Smile]
 -

-

-

-

Here's a link to a scene from my copy ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ2Tm-bQ69k

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

|  IP: Logged

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted May 10, 2017 08:34 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael ... I have the same S8 4x400 version as you do with the Lion roaring during the count-down leader and then there is a flash of a women's face for maybe a second. I actually never noticed the lion roar before reading this thread:)

I also have the S8 2x400 version called "The Whacky West." I actually like this version the best. It's shorter and has all the good parts.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 10, 2017 09:07 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a feeling that my countdown has been cut-off.
It may have contained the Lion,but I will never know I guess.
My first reel has a Mr Magoo cartoon first and then almost straight into the Way Out West (joined)

--------------------

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 11, 2017 12:59 AM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clinton,
Thank you and I appreciate seeing the W.O.W picts that are very good, and the bonus video clip is my favorite part with Ollie's neck caught in the trap door.

I have to give a shout to some other Reg 8mm films that you posted on YouTube that are enjoyable: The Lone Dale Operator and the Carnival Films Our Gang title The Mighty Hunter. Last but not least I was also able to connect with the YouTube from your Reg 8mm sound film Hog Wild that has a better appearance than many if not mostly all of the Blackhawk 16's, including the Film Classic 16mm TV Prints,

Hog Wild is one of my top five L&H shorts, and it's very difficult to find a decent print, and yours is a keeper.

Janice, the S8 2x400 "The Whacky West." is a neat cut down because it runs as a 3 reeler that includes the songs from the feature. Blackhawk released a few L&H feature films in 30minute segments. many years later. Blackhawk also sold "Fun On The Run'" which is a cut edit that's essentially the last half of The Sons of the Desert. and both of these edits were featured for many years in the Laurel and Hardy TV Package.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 12, 2017 11:46 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, many thanks Clinton!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 12, 2017 02:11 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have two versions of West the Walton Films sadly abridged to 6 reels and Mountain Films release 8 reels must get round to viewing them soon.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted May 14, 2017 09:34 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The best Blackhawk printing of WAY OUT WEST has the Blackhawk title card followed by the original credits.

At least 2 prior versions exist, both with all original titles (with Leo the Lion airbrushed out): one has the opening fanfare before the titles start (with the M-G-M roar in the background), and one does not. In my experience the one without the fanfare has the slight edge, but both are trumped by the version I indicated above.

Of course, this is just one collector's opinion. Your mileage may vary.

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 15, 2017 12:14 AM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I timed each of the 400ft reels as I was curious if I had the complete film [Smile]
And I have - reel 1 runs for nearly 16 mins , reel 2 for 19 mins . reel 3 for 17.5 mins and reel 4 for 10 mins ...
62.5 mins total with open title and closing title intact [Smile]
It's a great watch too,I enjoyed the musical numbers,I enjoyed the donkey scene,stretching Ollies neck was clever too [Smile]

--------------------

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted May 15, 2017 07:41 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clinton,

WAY OUT WEST runs 65 minutes.
[Frown]

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 15, 2017 08:12 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think allowing for my projector possibly running minutely fast then it is close enough [Smile]
1 hr 4 min (64 min) (copyright length)
1 hr 3 min (63 min) (TCM print)

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC