8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » My outdoor film show

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My outdoor film show
Phil Slater
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 21, 2015 06:20 AM      Profile for Phil Slater     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saturday 18th July was the date for friends to come over for a super 8 show in my garden. The show started at 9.30pm (when it was dark enough) and weather was perfect - a warm, still evening. Here are some pictures.

-

The screen before masking, attached to a trellice. The screen is a 2.75m * 1.3m sheet of Ultralay screen material from PSM screens.

-

The screen after masking, and with Craven speaker in place. Note just one spectator so far.

-

The projector set up. An Elmo GS800 with an Elmo 1.2 25-50mm long throw lens.

-

The show begins with 'The 10th Anniversary of the Red Arrows'

Here are some more screen shots of films viewed that night

- Britsh Movietone News clips of motor racing at Brooklands

- Stingray - The Big Gun

- Look at Life - Sounds of a City
 - Song from Grease - 'You're the one that I want'

For the final reel I took the srceen masking away, attached a scope lens and we watched 2 trailers and 'Thank you Very Much' extract from Scrooge. For some reason, the scope lens didn't work very well with the long throw lens - it wouldn't focus, so we removed the scope lens and watched it in the 4:3 format.

All in all a very pleasant evening, and one which is becoming a tradition in the Slater household.

|  IP: Logged

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 21, 2015 07:46 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Waw ! Great use of a garden :-)

--------------------
Dominique

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted July 21, 2015 09:14 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wonderful Phil and nice to see you using the GS800. Many of my home movies were recorded on that in stereo as it gave such a great broad frequency sound track.

By the way did you show Mr Pastry?

Phil Slater
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 21, 2015 12:39 PM      Profile for Phil Slater     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No Lee, but I did show Abbott and Costello's 'Who's On First'

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted July 21, 2015 01:09 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who's on first is a delight. Laugh my a** off every time. I got two Super 8's, a 200' and a shorter 100' ... Always see the 200'
Hilarious

Phil Slater
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 21, 2015 01:29 PM      Profile for Phil Slater     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vidar,
Do you mean the 200 footer called MAL CALL? Its a filmed Armed Forces Radio show from 1944 and they do the Whos On First routine on that. It also has Dorothy Lamour singing on it. I have Mail Call and the 100 foot film.

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted July 21, 2015 01:42 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, it's called Who's on first and cover looks the same on the 100', just seem more complete. No singing. Universal release

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted July 21, 2015 03:07 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For some reason U-8 released an edited version of WHO'S ON FIRST in addition to the "full-length" version which is only 6 and a half minutes anyway. It is from the feature, THE NAUGHTY NINETIES.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 21, 2015 11:54 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's brilliant Phil [Cool] [Smile]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC