8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Your Screening Room Pictures. (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  10  11  12 

Author Topic: Your Screening Room Pictures.
Joshua Vega
Film Handler

- posted June 19, 2007 12:14 AM      Profile for Joshua Vega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I was going to say the Chinon, but I don't play favorites! Not even with projectors! [Wink] [Smile] [Cool]

For more detailed info on my projection collection,
My Films / "Projection Collection"

My Films / "Projection Collection" VOLUME II

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted June 19, 2007 03:09 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joshua
Just had a look at your website, its very good, you will find everyone on this forum very helpful, with a wealth of knowledge on various gauges of films and projectors.

Graham.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 02, 2007 08:57 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here are a few pictures of our home cinema - we have called it "The Excelsior"!

It was built in 1987 but re-vamped in 2000. It is primarily for super 8 but does have to give in to digital projection occasionally (sorry!)

This is the screen with the house lights on.

-

With the screen lights on set up for 'scope.

-

The stage! Actually this hides some furniture underneath; your clothes still have to go somewhere!!!

-

Here are the seats and projector stand.

-

The Beaulieu ready to go.

-

And the "cosy" seats at the back!

-

[ August 04, 2009, 04:34 AM: Message edited by: Rob Young. ]

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 09, 2007 03:11 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rob
Your home cinema looks fantastic, I like your choice of colours, is that a normal dark blue paint you have used on the walls, the colour contrast with the red curtains is stunning.

Regards Graham. [Smile]

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 11, 2007 05:38 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Graham, yes it is quite a vibrant blue isn't it! It is just normal emulsion paint though, although you've made me think just who would actually paint their room that colour unless it was going to be a cinema [Smile]

Here are some pictures of our other screening room; this one is in a house we rent so it is a less permanent set-up as it may have to be transported elsewhere at some point in the future!

Here is the screen (sadly as it isn't our house we have to live with the colour of the walls although pink wouldn't have been my first choice!!!).

-

The seats (these have to double as a spare bed for visitors!).

-

The trusty Elmo ready for a scope show.

-

Film cabinet; the collection is kept hidden away in a dark cupboard elsewhere but these are the films I like to keep handy!

-

Lastly there is some room for an editing table for cleaning prints or doing a bit of re-recording.

-

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 11, 2007 09:26 AM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rob,

Two beautiful set-ups,
and a wonderful way
to enjoy screenings at
home and while away.

[Smile]

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Joshua Vega
Film Handler

- posted July 16, 2007 10:31 PM      Profile for Joshua Vega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have a fancy screening room, but, its still a screening room! I just declared my small bedroom as my screening room. I use my Chinon 6100 Super 8 Projector or my Mansfield Customatic projector to project on a screen i made out of a piece of white cardboard (LOL, i really need to save and buy a screen!) I use my Milovac 1970s stereo as the sound system, and 2 not-too-old rather large Realistic speakers hanging on my wall. I'll take some pictures soon. (sorry my screening room sounds so ridiculous, but its all i can afford (I'm still young and without a job, and plus: im saving for a popeye DVD!))

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 17, 2007 12:29 AM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joshua,

No problem. The set-up that you have
still works as a screening area.
Many hobbyists do not have tremendous
rooms or the availability to afford
a designated space for film programs.

I purchased a very nice video
that was titled Armchair Odeons
from Film-Tek. It capsulized many
wonderful and creative methods that
hobbyists will go through to create
a working screening environment.

If my memory serves me well,
I chuckled with one particular set-up
in the video.
In situated a projector in the bathroom,
with a cut out in the door
that would be closed when the room
was not being used for
a film screening.

It may be extreme for many to go
through such lengths to create
a viable screening space,
but it worked very well for the
hobbyist with his collection.

So enjoy what you have, and
you will find that the magic will still draw you
into the moment - as those tiny windows in time
are reflected on you eyes and into your heart.

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 17, 2007 04:40 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Joshua, yes, I agree with Michael, nothing else matters if you enjoy what you have!

When I was younger I had a set-up that sounds quite similar to yours. I remember when I first hired a scope lens (could no way afford to buy one back then) and a 400ft copy of Star Wars; I had to spend ages sticking together sheets of white A4 paper to make a big screen and totally moving the bedroom around to get a longer throw!

I remember the excitment of seeing such a big image at home for that first time; just like a real cinema. I think I probably got as much enjoyment out of that set-up as anything else since [Wink]

Joshua Vega
Film Handler

- posted July 17, 2007 11:04 PM      Profile for Joshua Vega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And now... some pictures!
 -
This is the radio i place my projectors on (I now have them packed away in a box because I'm preparing to show my films to someone who lives far away.). This radio is also the amplifier for my Chinon Sound Projector.

-
This is my old book collection, located right above my projectors.

-
This is my Mansfield 8mm Projector, inside its box, on top of my bed (with films on top too).

-
This is my Chinon Sound Projector in its box on my bed (as you can see, it is right next to my mansfield).

-
This is my wall, with a classic GTE rotary phone, a Three Stooges picture, a picture of Popeye The Sailor, a picture of my Chinon projector (i didn't take that picture), an (old?) wood block with a painting, and a magnetic dart board.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 18, 2007 01:30 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joshua,

I did not see any pictures, you CANNOT do "copy" and "pste" things to attach pictures.

When you are writting the text, under the box, there is written "Click here to upload an image", you have to click that and upload pictures.

thanks,

--------------------
Winbert

Joshua Vega
Film Handler

- posted July 18, 2007 12:30 PM      Profile for Joshua Vega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think your internet browser might be loading the pics incorrectly because they show up fine on my computer (strange... [Confused] ) I did upload and copy+paste the url code. Can anyone else besides me see the pictures?

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 18, 2007 03:22 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can see them also.

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 18, 2007 03:51 PM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep,they show up fine Joshua.Win must have left the lens cap on his computer............ [Smile]

--------------------
Trevor

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 19, 2007 02:42 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Friends,

Being work with slow dial-up connection and a bi unpatient, I did not wait unril the browser fully loaded the pictures. Yes I have seen those Joshua's pictures.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Joshua Vega
Film Handler

- posted July 19, 2007 02:25 PM      Profile for Joshua Vega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So... what do you think???

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 03, 2007 02:49 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joshua-

Was that an 8-TRACK player on your amp??

Cool [Cool] .

My last 8-track player finally died on me a couple of years ago. I miss it [Frown] .

Does the older amp unit provide good sound for your Chinon? I was always happy with the standard stereo separation of the older units from the 70's.

James.

Joshua Vega
Film Handler

- posted August 03, 2007 02:59 PM      Profile for Joshua Vega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Joshua-

Was that an 8-TRACK player on your amp??

Cool .

My last 8-track player finally died on me a couple of years ago. I miss it .

Does the older amp unit provide good sound for your Chinon? I was always happy with the standard stereo separation of the older units from the 70's.

James.

Yes it is an 8 track player. It works great too, with excellent sound. I even recorded some songs to computer! I also have 2 reel to reel tape players that also work great. The "Milovac" 1970s radio does prove to be a great amp for my chinon (the lamp for my ONLY super 8 projector (chinon) just burnt out, unfortunatly [Frown] [Frown] [Frown] )

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 03, 2007 08:09 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry about the lamp.

The good news is that lamps are fairly easy to come by. Steve Osborne of the REEL IMAGE publication in Ohio carries the popular lamps, and most likely will have the one you need for the Chinon. Also, Dave Thomas Films carries them, and he has an E-bay store.

James.

Joshua Vega
Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2007 02:28 AM      Profile for Joshua Vega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I ordered my "DNE" projection lamp off eBay the day my old one blew up (well not really), and it arrived today in the mail! It works great. It's a GE Quartzline Lamp, and it only cost around $15 with insurance and shipping

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 23, 2007 06:49 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have finally completed the addition of CinemaScope powered masking. The scope screen is now 108 ins wide. There are 3 powered masking panels, left, right, and top, which are controlled from an RF remote. The bottom masking panel is fixed.

-

-

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Douglas Meltzer

- posted November 23, 2007 07:17 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,

What a great job! One question......I see two really comfortable looking chairs for you and Betty. Where exactly am I supposed to sit when visiting?

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 23, 2007 11:13 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug,

Paul has you in the back to maintain
the projectors focus and to prevent
any film from spilling off the reels
and to the floor.

Someone has big shoes to fill and
a job in sunny Florida.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted November 23, 2007 11:54 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug! Old Florida customs says "toss a coin for a lap". [Eek!]

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2008 10:14 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Bill's Beg, Borrow, & Ebay Theater, an aptly named facility that is only functional once in awhile when various closets and corners cough up some of their contents... See, we have no place for a dedicated equipment area (I'm accepting donations for an addition to our house!), so we use our patio room, gleefully shutting the TV cabinet doors and hanging a 70" screen, with projectors outside. Sound ties into our hifi.

Of course, the disadvantage of this setup is that long sunny days (frequent), extremely windy days (sometimes), rain (infrequent), and long setup times all intrude on the possibility of having a Film Night since the "booth" is outdoors. And the greatest disadvantage of all is that the equipment has to be set up, aligned, and connected every single time. So I only do this full getup once or twice per year. But one of the loveliest advantages is that projecting through the glass gives us perfect sound isolation so that the audio volume doesn't have to compete with projector noise.

So here's the setup for our Christmas show. It was dropping below 50 degrees F when we started, but was very dry in humidity and there were no problems with this.
 -
That's an Eiki NT-0 16mm in back; an Elmo GS1200 that I wish I could say is mine, but is a loaner; and for just two shorts, a Canon PS-1000 in the front, which was my only other Super 8 option that evening.

The show's well underway with Tom & Jerry's "Night Before Christmas:"
 -

View to the screen:
 -
Big screen TVs, eat your heart out!

The center channel speaker is positioned for the occasion directly below the screen.
 -

And finally, some of the audience enjoying the show:
 -

That worked the film bug out of me... for at least a week or two!

[ November 25, 2011, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: Bill Brandenstein ]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  10  11  12 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC