8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Your Screening Room Pictures. (Page 6)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12 

Author Topic: Your Screening Room Pictures.
David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2009 09:50 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin........don't even go there!

I know what you're saying, but I feel pretty confident about this one. Actually it's been a long time coming, so Carol's had plenty of time to mull it over.

I think she actually likes to watch some of the old movies - but would never admit it outright; though she's mentioned some thoughts about the furnishings, seating etc!

Certainly I'll post any untoward compromises, and look to the Forum for any sympathy I might need!

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

|  IP: Logged

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted October 21, 2009 01:00 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why not take some "before" pictures Dave so we can see the transformation.

I'm always impressed by what people do in their Home Cinema designs.

Are you going for a booth or "open projection"?

-Mike

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2009 01:37 PM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a plan, Mike.

--------------------
Dave.

Michael Beyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2009 03:35 AM      Profile for Michael Beyer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Beyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
here are some photos of my screening room in our new home.
It is not very big and not very professional, but good enough for me. The distance between projector and screen is roundabout 3m. The screen has a width of 2,53 m. Scope has a width of 2,34m and with an Elmo-conversion lens the flats are 1,60m x 1,20m. There can be 3 or 4 guests.

The screen:
 -

The decorated left wall...
 -

...and the right one
 -

The projector-part (very provisorily, but don't know how I can make it better):
 -

One of my Elmos (old, but have the best picture) with an 1.1-lens:
 -

Last but not least: Some of my films
 -

Regards,
Michael

[ October 26, 2009, 10:23 AM: Message edited by: Michael Beyer ]

--------------------
Just remember the time when Home Cinema was not a disc...keep perforated

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2009 04:35 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Michael,

If mine looks half as good as that when I've finished it, I'll be very pleased. Well done!

--------------------
Dave.

Michael Beyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2009 05:03 AM      Profile for Michael Beyer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Beyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, David.
Hope we will see some pictures of your room if the project is ready to screen [Smile]

Ooooh - I forgot my sound-section:

Here's Part 1:
 -

And this is part 2:
 -

Regards,
Michael

--------------------

Damien Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2009 10:05 AM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have quite similar tastes in audio equipment Michael. I too use an SL-1200, I find them terrific workhorses. I also see you run what appears to be an A3440, I have an A3340S, and it still runs like a charm after all these years.

Michael Beyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2009 10:25 AM      Profile for Michael Beyer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Beyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Damian,
yes, you're right.
I use the good old MK2 to play my records.
It's one of my MK2's which is in my cinema room.
And for my reels I use the Teac A 3440 and they run and run and run...

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 22, 2009 10:27 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,

Your set-up almost similar to me (i.e the equipments). I have posted my theatre here.

You can see that I use Elmo ST 1200, I have Technics SL1200 and....TEAC Reel to Reel player. [Big Grin]

Damien, you are right that SL 1200 is just solid and work like horse. (BTW, it is so coincidence that the model number are the same...1200)

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Michael Beyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2009 04:40 AM      Profile for Michael Beyer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Beyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Winbert,
I never thought about the model number, but you are right: 1200 stands for never destroying workhorses [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Regards,
Michael

--------------------

Damien Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2009 10:15 AM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not to derail too much, but this is the audio section of my booth/theater/bedroom, more pics to come, I just happened to have this photo on my computer already. The Numark is only there because it can play 16 rpm discs.
 -

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 23, 2009 10:21 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey...another TEAC reel to reel deck!!...

Damien, what sort of vinyl is recorded in 16 RPM??

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2009 10:30 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wimbert,

16 2/3 rpm discs were introduced briefly in the UK many years ago.
I never saw one, but came across decks that could play them often. If I recall correctly, they were intended for "talking book" use.
#Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Damien Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2009 10:45 AM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin is correct, they were introduced for talking book use, books for the blind etc...

The reason I need the speed is for my collection of Seeburg background music records. Custom made records that were designed to go into a special jukebox to play specially programmed music in shopping centres, supermarkets, factories etc... I never managed to find a Seeburg 1000 in Australia, so I just play the discs by themselves.

Theres plenty of examples of the Seeburg system and records on Youtube, including mine. The examples I have up aren't the greatest.

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2009 11:36 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

my "Wharfedale/Lenco"-record player also supports 16 2/3, 33 1/3, 45 and 78 rpm... Never stumbled across a 16rpm-record, though.
According to the German wikipedia 16 2/3 rpm was advertised as the ideal speed for records played in cars. (Yes, back then some cars had record-players instead of CD/MP3-players!)
However the Wikipedia has got a photo of a 16 2/3-LP: "treasure island" as an audio-book:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datei:Disco_de_16_rpm.jpg

Jörg

(Besides: 78rpm-vinyl only sounds half as good on my Wharfedale compared to a hand-cranked gramophone as they normally require special needles (and are mono)...)

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted October 23, 2009 11:43 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Damien,

I have a Seeburg and it is awesome. Was finally able to track a nice one down on ebay, although it did still need some work done on it when I got it. It makes the perfect intermission music. [Smile]

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2009 11:56 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Micheal Beyer

Your pictures are awesome!

Is that a 35mm scope lens on a wooden cradle infront of your Elmo projector? Are those white stick on labels on your film cans?

Gosh darn it why didn't I think of that [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Damien Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 24, 2009 09:41 PM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome to hear you found a Seeburg Brad. I saw a nice one on the bay as little while back, but with a buy it now, by the time I clicked on the listing it was gone.

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 24, 2009 11:30 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-

[ March 15, 2014, 06:24 PM: Message edited by: Bill Phelps ]

Michael Beyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 26, 2009 10:35 AM      Profile for Michael Beyer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Beyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Chip !
I think it is a 35mm, but I'm not sure [Wink]
It's an Rectimascope 48/2x, made by the "Rathenower Optische Werke".

And yes, there are white stick labels on the cans, that I can find all the reels of a feature [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Regards,
Michael

--------------------

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 26, 2009 11:00 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quote:

"Gosh darn it why didn't I think of that"

End quote

You see Micheal, I was joking.

I actually DID think of that many years ago. Articles were posted of mine in FFTC magazines as well as Steve Osborne's, The Reel Image magazine.

Anyways, it's good to see that the word is spreading.

Now maybe others tried scope lenses from theaters long before I did. So I only look for credit for doing things my way with all due respect to others.

I worked as a projectionist in theaters for many years. One night on the way home, I wondered if a 35mm scope lens would work with super 8. My guess was the optics would be fine, but the big issue was how to affix it to the smaller gauge machine.

We had at the time a spare scope lens attachment. The fact that it belonged to the theater made it so I couldn't borrow it and try it at home and then return it to the theater.

So instead, I brought an ST800 in to work with me one night and just held the lens in front of the machine by hand and breifly threw a white light. The image was great, I knew it was my path to go.

36 months later I had 24 scope features in my collection. What a beautiful site on such a magnificent screen. My recent post of how many super 8 features do you own currently lists 32 scope prints.

CG [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Michael Beyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 26, 2009 11:36 AM      Profile for Michael Beyer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Beyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chip,
I know, that it was a joke [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

My first scope print was Ben Hur. To see it on a big screen was so amazing, that I bought more scope-features. Now there are roundabout 20 in my collection and to be continued...
That's what I call home cinema [Big Grin]

Regards,
Michael

--------------------

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 16, 2009 04:08 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, my compliments for your screening room.
It doesn't matter if you believe it's a little small. The impact is impressive and I think it is always a party when shows go on!
Ciao.

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Michael Beyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 17, 2009 08:27 AM      Profile for Michael Beyer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Beyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many thanks, Gian.
But there are no parties at the moment [Big Grin]
It is next to the room of my little daughter, who is 2 1/2 years old. So if I could start a show, it is time for her to go to bed [Frown]
But times will change [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

So I am the only one who sees the features in my room with headphones.
But sometime I make a screening like the "Ben Hur"-screening not at home. I have some rooms where I can go to, but they have mostly less atmosphere.

Regards,
Michael

--------------------

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 01, 2009 07:08 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have just returned from yet another extended business trip and am now seriously considering all the options open to me regarding this awkward shaped room for the home cinema.

It turns out that, with a little judicious planning and careful execution of the practicalities, I think I can achieve what I consider to be the best compromise.

With the projector in the small part of the room, and with the screen in front of the window, I have worked out - albeit only roughly at the moment - that having the projector at a slight angle to the normal (remember that from your schoolboy physics)? and the screen also at a corresponding slight angle to the normal, the normal will be restored, and there won't be any out of focus issues, and the screen only needs to be offset a little from the centre of the room.

It looks like the angle will be somewhere between 5 and 10 degrees, but I'll set it up temporarily and see how it works. I'll post the final dimensions and settings if successful, and I reckon this will give me the best all round result - both aesthetically and technically.

Many thanks once again for your interest and input.

--------------------
Dave.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC