8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Movie Maker - Equipment Reports and Film Reviews (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Movie Maker - Equipment Reports and Film Reviews
Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 16, 2006 02:55 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am fortunate enough to have pretty well all the Movie Maker Magazines from 1968 through to 1985, over the past couple of months or so I have scanned quite a few of the equipment reviews and Bill Davisons film reviews, at the request of a couple of the members on the forum.

As a "completist", I have gone on to scan the intervening reviews in order to make a "complete" file.

This is very much a work in progress, but I do intend to make these available for any one that wants them. So, below is a list of the equipment reviews so far available;

Projectors

Agfa Family Set
Bauer T430 & T450
Bauer T60
Bauer TR 200
Bell & Howell 1481
Bell & Howell 1568
Bell & Howell 2592 Projector
Bell & Howell Filmosonic 1735
Bell & Howell Filmosound 1680
Bolex Instaprojection 102 MTC
Bolex SM 80
Careena Zoomex 7610
Elmo 16 CL
Elmo GS 1200
Elmo Hi-vision SC–18M
Elmo K-100SM
Elmo SP Deluxe & Hi - Deluxe
Elmo ST 1200 HD
Elmo ST 180
ElmoST 1200 user report (aug 75)
Eumig 610 D
Eumig 810 D & 807 D
Eumig 810 D Lux
Eumig 822 Sonomatic
Eumig K 404 & K 408
Eumig RS 3000
Eumig S 913
Eumig S 926 Stereo
Eumig S936, S938 & S940
Hanimex Loadamatic 800
Hanimex SR 8600
Heurtier Duo 942
Heurtier Duovox
Kodak Ektasound 245B-L Projector
Ohnar Sound - o - matic
Optomax SD 800
Pathe Europ 8mm & 9.5mm
Plus - o - matic 202
Sankyo P 1600 Silent Projector
Sankyo Sound 700
Sankyo Stereo 800
Silma Delta 7
Silma S 111
Silma S101
Yelco Stereo 3600

Cameras

Bauer C - Royal 6E & 10E
Bauer C107 XL
Bauer C5XL Macro
Bauer C700 XLM
Bell & Howell ‘Travelmate’
Bell & Howell Filmosonic XL 1230
Bell & Howell Focus - Matic 674/XL
Bell & HowellMS 45
Bolex 480 pg 3.jpg
Braun - Nizo 136
Braun - Nizo 4080 & 4056
Braun - Nizo 801 Macro
Braun - Nizo Integral 10
Braun - Nizo Integral 5 & 7
Braun - Nizo S148
Canon 514 XLS Sound
Canon 814 XLS & 1014 XLS
Canon AF310XL - S & AF310XL
Canon AF514 XL – S
Canon Autozoom 1014 Electronic
Chinon 1200 SM XL
Chinon 60 SM XL
Chinon 674 SM
Chinon 805S, 255XL & 505XL
Cinerex 218 & XL200
Cosina XK – 204
Elmo 1012S – XL
Elmo 230 S – XL
Elmo 311
Elmo 350 SL
Elmo 600 S
Eumig 23XL, Sound 23XL & Sound 128XL
Eumig 30 XL
Eumig 880 PMA
Fuji ZXM500 & ZXM800
Leicina Special
Leicina Super
Minolta XL – 601
Minolta XL – 660 & 440 Sound
Minolta XL – Sound 84
Minolta XL 400
Nikon R10 & R8
Nizo 156 XL
Nizo 6080
Ricoh 800Z
Sankyo CME 1100
Sankyo EM 20XL
Sankyo EM 30XL & 40XL & 60XL
Sankyo ES - 66XL & ES 44XL
Sankyo XL 21O Supertronic
Sankyo XL 40S
Sankyo XL 620 Supertronic
Sankyo XL 800S

Editors

AICO ‘Classic’ Super 8 Editor / viewer
Elmo 912
Erno E - 501 Editor
Erno E 1201 Dual
Erno RE - 703
Gepe non - rewind reel set

If anyone wants one or more of the above, send me a PM with an email address, stating which one/s you want and I'll zap them off to you. They are all scanned at 96dpi and saved as jpegs, so they email relatively quickly and are of sufficiently high resolution to make them legible and printable.

Mike

[ January 27, 2008, 05:25 AM: Message edited by: Mike Peckham ]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

|  IP: Logged

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 16, 2006 04:23 PM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mike,

Have sent you a PM.

Dave.

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 16, 2006 04:42 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi Mike, I assume that MOVIE MAKER was published in the UK. I saved all my issues of SUPER8FILMAKER from way back when; each issue had a product review of super 8mm cameras & projectors. It was a great magazine, with very informative articles and advertisements of the latest equipment and gadgets.

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted December 16, 2006 05:21 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
And the Movie Maker review of the GS1200 was with my very own machine.
I had bought one of the first GS1200's and worked with the guy who did the review. When his turned up for him to do the review (which was over the Christmas holiday that year) it didnt work properly so he rang me to ask if he could use my machine which of course I jumped at. Sadly I sold that machine on some years back.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 17, 2006 01:34 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Mike.

Much obliged! [Big Grin]

Dave.

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 17, 2006 02:35 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, I guess Movie Maker was the UK equivalent of Super 8 Film Maker, but not having seen the latter I don't know. However it was a highly respected publication and today provides a valuable resource for those of us interested in the history of our hobby, the test reports and film reviews are particularly interesting.

Keith, you have a pm, I think the email address you gave me might not be right as your test reports didn't get through.

So far, the most popular request has been for the Elmo ST 1200 HD, clearly a very popular machine. I'll update the list above when I have added some more reports to the list.

Regards

Mike

--------------------

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 17, 2006 06:56 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes please Mike.I have sent you a P.M.Andy

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted December 17, 2006 10:35 AM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to love "Movie Maker" magazine. I used to eagerly await each issue and always read Bill Davison's "bootlace cinema" reviews and "Uncle" Ivan Watson's articles. Sadly I fear they have both gone to their rewards. I wonder if anyone tried Ivan Watson's film scratch removal method or his home Super 8 film copying system?

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 17, 2006 11:10 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
A very big thank you Mike.Brillant.Andy.

Stuart Fyvie
Film Handler

- posted December 17, 2006 12:55 PM      Profile for Stuart Fyvie   Email Stuart Fyvie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone know what happened to Bill Davison?

Stuart

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 17, 2006 01:43 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stuart, I think Bill died in the late eighties, I don't know the circumstances of his death but it seems untimely... [Frown]

I've been busy sending off scans to people today, the ST 1200 HD remains the most often requested, the Sankyo Stereo 800 the second.

I've had several requests for Bill Davisons reviews. I'm in the process of putting together an index of them all and when it's done (and I've finished scanning them ) I'll post the index on here in a seperate thread and email them out to people again on request.

Paul, are you thinking of Ivans magical plain water remedy? [Smile]

Mike [Cool]

--------------------

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted December 17, 2006 02:18 PM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's the one Mike. [Wink]

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 17, 2006 02:44 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many thanks Mike for the Elmo reviews. Great to hear that you are planning the Bill Davison Reviews. I can't help feeling you are going to be one hell of a busy bunny. Regards Keith

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2007 03:07 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just added another 12 equipment reviews to the above list. Same as before; if you want a scan of any of the reviews just pm me with an email address tell me which one/s you want and I'll get them off to you.

I now have all of Bills Bootlace Cinema reviews scanned from the period 1977 - 1982. I'm still working on an index though which is time consuming, but when it's completed I'll post it on here.

Mike

--------------------

Stewart McSporran
Master Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2007 05:29 PM      Profile for Stewart McSporran   Email Stewart McSporran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mike,

I had a subscription to MM from 1977 to about 1981. As a schoolboy I could only dream of owning some of the kit in there. Now that I do it'll be great to see the reviews again.

Stewart

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2007 08:10 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quick update; have just added the reviews from 1981 to the above list. Interestingly, the ST 1200 HD is still by far most often requested review!

Mike

--------------------

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 28, 2007 12:47 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Update:

Having scanned a number more reviews to send to people as they have been requested over the summer months, I thought it was time to update the list, so I have. The list in the first posting on this thread now represents all the equipment reviews I now have scanned.

If anybody wants one or more of them, just send me a pm with your list of wants and an email address I can send them too and I'll get them off to you in due course.

Also, I now have all of Bill Davisons Bootlace (and later Armchair Cinema) reviews scanned from his period with Movie Maker; Sep 1974 - Dec 1984.

All the above (both Bills reviews and the equipment reviews) can be fitted on to one 700mb disc so if anyone wants them all on a disc let me know and I'll give you an address to post a blank disc and an SAE to.

Mike

[ September 29, 2007, 03:08 AM: Message edited by: Mike Peckham ]

--------------------

Dave Cragg
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 28, 2007 04:22 PM      Profile for Dave Cragg   Email Dave Cragg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mike for the Eumig S940 test report.
This'll make excellent bedtime reading with my Ovaltine!

Dave

--------------------
Wide eyed novice.

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2007 11:58 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Chaps

Just a quick update for everyone who has asked for discs, they should all be either with you now or on their way but possibly subject to the postal strike we currently have in the UK.

Those heading for a destination in the Antipodes and North America I think all made it out of the country before the strike began, however, one or two that were going to our friends in the UK and Europe (ok I know the UK is in Europe, but you know what I mean) might now be languishing in a postal sorting room somewhere.

I’d be grateful if you could let me know when they arrive, either by email or on here, hopefully I haven’t forgotten anyone.

Anyone else who would like a disc of the test reports and / or the film reviews from Movie Maker magazine is welcome to one, as before just send me a pm and I’ll let you have a postal address to send a disc and an SAE too. The files have actually increased in size now as I have added extra material at the request of a couple of people, so if you would like both (the reviews and the test reports) I will now need you to send me two discs.

For people living overseas for whom arranging an SAE etc. is difficult, I would need just enough money to cover the cost of the disc/s and postage, this you could send me via PayPal. Postage to pretty well anywhere in the world seems to come in at about £2.00 and for the discs I would need £1.00 each, so either £3.00 or £4.00 in total depending on whether you want just one or both.

Anyone wanting individual test reports from the list above can still send me an email address via pm with a list of wants and I’ll zap them off to you.

Mike [Smile]

--------------------

Mike Nyberg
Junior

- posted December 23, 2007 09:17 PM      Profile for Mike Nyberg   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Nyberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

Tried to send a PM but could not figure it out - the forum says I can't do that??? I would be interested in the following PDFs at your leisure/convienience.

Sankyo CME 1100

Canon 814 XLS & 1014 XLS

Bell & Howell MS 45

Cheers,
Mike

PS - my website is this one:

http://home.pacbell.net/mnyberg/super8mm/

--------------------
Visit my 8mm website:
http://home.pacbell.net/mnyberg/super8mm/

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 24, 2007 02:52 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Mike

I've sent the test reports but not entirely confident I've used the right address, perhaps you could confirm whether or not they've arrived...

Mike [Smile]

--------------------

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2008 05:28 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have just added the Leicina Special to the list of cameras above.

If there is any interest in the earlier models of cameras and projectors, I might have another look at the earlier mags (1968 - 74) and add some more reports to the "data base" from that era.

Mike [Cool]

--------------------

Hans van der Sloot
Master Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2008 03:25 PM      Profile for Hans van der Sloot   Author's Homepage   Email Hans van der Sloot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mike,

I tried to PM you too, but got this message:
Sorry, either the user or the board administrator is blocking access to this email address.

I would like to have the review- and test report discs too.
How can I contact you?

Hans

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2008 04:08 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hans

Try again, I've altered the settings on my profile so you should be able to get to my email address.

Mike [Cool]

--------------------

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2008 05:52 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hans, your discs should be with you shortly, I posted them off today.

Maurice, I have zapped off the test reports by email so hopefully they will be with you now?

Mike [Cool]

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC