8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What is the print that your REALLY looking for? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: What is the print that your REALLY looking for?
Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted June 22, 2007 02:30 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry, to push your wise reasoning a step further, I'd say it'd be logical to make a list of films - fit to be transfered - that can be sourced, and only then release that list to the collectors for them to chose the one title that'll be considered for release.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

|  IP: Logged

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 22, 2007 03:11 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jean-Marc,

That's fine in theory, but in reality it's pretty hard, as most Forum members must remember the clamour to get the "Wallace & Grommit" feature "Curse of the Were-Rabbit" out a couple of years ago, I still think it would sell, but without source material, you're scuppered again. I think off the top of my head I could come up with at least 20 titles still to come onto the 8mm market, that A collectors would like & B that would sell extremely well, but what is the point of putting peoples hopes up, because unless the print/negative is available to work from, what's the point. A F/L release is one of the hardest things to get right at any time, but in todays market it's near on impossible, unless someone comes up and says for definate they have this title on film and was willing for it to be used, then even I'm scratching my head, as even Derann haven't come up with a F/L print for 2 years now.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted June 22, 2007 04:27 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry, this is exactly what I meant.
1 - find material/prints
2 - make list
3 - send list to collectors to vote for favorite
4 - send print of favorite to lab

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Dave Alligan
Film Handler

- posted June 22, 2007 05:12 AM      Profile for Dave Alligan   Email Dave Alligan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about making sure you got the rights to print the film, you could end up in all sorts of hot water with copyright issues and end up being sued by the studio in question.

Lars Pettersson
Master Film Handler

- posted June 22, 2007 05:40 AM      Profile for Lars Pettersson   Email Lars Pettersson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry,
IŽd have thought the biggest problem would be legal?

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 22, 2007 06:16 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jean-Marc,

The hardest part is No.1, there is just nothing about at the moment (especially what collectors want to buy F/L), I think we were all spoiled with "M&C" a couple of years ago, and the response to that was remarkable, but as the saying goes, that was then, this is now! I think it would be too damaging to raise collectors hopes about a certain release, wait months, and nothing happens (as I've heard reports about other dealers), at least if a company like Derann say that something will come out it will (unless the labs spoil the party that is). I just don't know how far you can go with making lists, it's fun, but we have to be realistic here, if it's a film of 10 years or over the chance of finding good pre-print is extremely rare, and even the newer titles are extremely hard to find, and we all know that the 8mm collectors have a fondness for the older titles (even "Jaws" is 34 years old, what a print that would be F/L Scope on 8mm). I don't have the answer, I wish I did, the trouble is that to the film studios anything to do with home film collecting 8mm or 16mm they think it's a dead beast, and there is just no money in it these days for them, even the biggest deals like Derann's Disney deal must have been extremely small change to company like Disney, I often wondered why they did deal with any 8mm company after the 70's heydays, but that was the charm of Derek Simmonds more than anything, as he was a man possessed with the thought of seeing all those lovely films on his home screen, sadly since his passing there isn't really anyone who has the same commitment and love of the hobby to push for things, and there is always that ugly sentence "Will it make money!". If anyone has the answers, I'd be more than happy to see your thoughts.

Lars Pettersson
Master Film Handler

- posted June 22, 2007 06:55 AM      Profile for Lars Pettersson   Email Lars Pettersson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If enough people agree they want a certain title, borrowing a print from a fellow collector to work from, or even renting it from an archival library for long enough to strike a neg from it wouldnŽt seem so impossible?
But I would have thought getting legal permission to go ahead would be the real rub?

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 22, 2007 11:00 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry Barry ....

Don't shattah our poo ole dreams here now! Dreams of technicolor wish-lists keep some of us ole boys goin!

That and living completely in a state of denial!

One of the other nice things (among other reasonings) about optical sound prints on Super 8, is that there is a slim chance that I will actually find the film I'm looking for on optical sound super 8, that is, as long as it was made in between 1968 to 1990, (approximately, as I know "Hunt For Red October" was a super 8 optical sound release, and that was 1990.)

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 22, 2007 12:10 PM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

I've actually had 1 print of "The Hunt for Red October", nice print, but no actual panning & scanning I could see, just stuck in the middle of the frame.

Jose Artiles
Master Film Handler

- posted June 22, 2007 02:51 PM      Profile for Jose Artiles   Email Jose Artiles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well,interesting thing the post here.....i can offer my 16mm print of FIRECREEK ,mint condition,scope,english track,for made an internegative if the dear collectors of the forum like the movie,i have also others films like "vengeance of she" with Hammer release tech ib that i can borrow.i have more than 1000 classics films on 16mm in really good or mint condition some of they are almost all the korda films(i love it) and most of the films of Maria Montez (what a lady!!)All my films are in controled room for storage whit air conditioner and wet controls.Now boys....what do you think about my offer??

--------------------
As Steven Spielberg says....
Nothing beats old school projection. Digital is just an imitation.

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 22, 2007 09:44 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a feature that Derann
once released that still has
major interest if it were re-released
using today's lab work along with
improved source material?

Some people had been requesting
prints of Goldfinger?

(With English title credits of course)

Would another Bond classic such as:
From Russia with Love, fit the bill
as a promising release?

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 22, 2007 11:31 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh no no no!! Micheal, if Derann must stike new prints of one of thier features, it must be "Hoppity Goes to Town". I've been looking for one of thier LPP prints of this for a long time!!

--------------------

Christopher Quinn
Film Handler

- posted June 23, 2007 06:48 AM      Profile for Christopher Quinn   Email Christopher Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think if Derann focused on releasing Super 8 prints of movies where all the 35mm or 16mm prints are on fading or faded stock, they might get a whole lot more additional sales from collectors who usually only collect higher gauges.

Release Live and Let Die on Super 8!

Lars Pettersson
Master Film Handler

- posted June 23, 2007 06:54 AM      Profile for Lars Pettersson   Email Lars Pettersson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
good point! [Smile]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 23, 2007 01:52 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MIcheal,

Don't know if your interested, but "From Russia With Love" was released as a super 8 optical sound feature.

--------------------

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 23, 2007 04:40 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, dont forget that there are only a few models of super 8 machine with Optical sound and people may not wish to buy another machine to get the optical playback facility.

Also a well recorded stripe print should in theory knock the spots of an optical soundtrack.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 23, 2007 06:39 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly kevin, your right. Though I love over Super 8 optical films, this is due mostly to availability of titles. When it comes to sound, quite honestly, mag sound beats the socks off of optical.

Though Eumig put out some very good optical sound super 8 machines, I personally think that they (the projector manufacturers) didn't really get the optical sound perfected for consumer use. When well produced, a optical mono soundtrack was very acceptable mono, but there are some rather low level optical sound super 8 prints out there, mostly the U.K. produced prints, (as explained in that lengthy optical post most recently).

So there is my very rare negative rant on my own favorite super 8 subject, a very rare thing indeed.

But the variety of optical sound super 8 features out there are ever expanding. this is optical sound super 8's big selling point. My personal list is now over 150 titles, and those are the known titles.

The other big selling point is the incredible pin sharp focus of almost all optical sound super 8's. i'm still astounded when I watch most prints!

--------------------

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 24, 2007 12:12 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that the optical print of
From Russia With Love is abridged
as well as it being on SP Stock?

Also as Kev mentioned the mag stripe
will allow improved sound.

From Russia With Love
had to be the best in IB Technicolor.

I remember seeing it in the theatre as
a UA Re-release on a double bill with
Goldfinger when I was very young, and
the scenes with Connery and Shaw on
the train were very rich and vivid.
So imagine the best source material
with today's lab technology and
I am sure that collectors would not
mind making this a special edition to
their collection.

Last but not least it was a sequel of
sorts to Dr. No., Because there are
references to Dr. No in the opening
dialog.

Perhaps both "Dr. No" and "Russia" would
make great companion pieces to a collection?
For who could resist Ursula Andress?
Her look was emulated by Halle Berry
coming out of the water in Die Another Day.

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 24, 2007 05:49 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Micheal,

It is possible that it was printed on SP, but perhaps LPP as well. Being that the optical sound prints were basically printed no doubt on the cheapest stocks available, (as they only expected the prints to be used for a short time), but once they ran out of other film stocks, they no doubt ran to LPP.
After all, optical sound prints were still manufactured up until and thru 1990.

SP itself can age rather well, for that matter, I have a number of Universal 8 prints from way back when that are absolutely pristine and due to proper cold storage, will no doubt last many a year. Certainly long enough for me!

Though it does age, the fade isn't as bad as Eastman and the colour ages to a brownish hue, still leaving much of the colour.

damn, if only my optical print of "Gorky Park" was on Kodak SP instead of Eastman!! (grrrrr!)

--------------------

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 24, 2007 06:14 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, It's interesting that you often mention Eumig for optical sound machines but I have never seen one in Europe. Did they only make these for the US and Japan?

It seems to be only Elmo that put out optical machines this side of the globe and only on the ST1200 series and of course the GS1200 as std.

Has anyone in Europe come across optical playback on other makes other than Elmo?

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 24, 2007 10:27 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kev,

If this is any help,
I have only seem the Eumig
Magnetic / Optical machines
listed in the Blackhawk Films Catalog.
Even back then (the '70's,) I did not understand
the concept of Optical 8mm.

Osi,
To each their own, I am not fond
of SP prints that fade to brown.
the areas that are affected first
are all of the neutral density areas.
Black and White.

All of the Black will turn Orange.
This may not bother some collectors
but I find that detail can be lost
in areas that it is most needed,
especially when black defines an area,
and also where white is needed to contrast
against the black.

I always loved the 200 foot versions
of Mary Poppins the Super Nanny, and
I have both the sound and silent versions
because there is alternate footage in each
version.
Anyway...., I viewed each reel one year apart,
and the change was dramatic. All of the
detail was lost in these SP prints.
The images are now very muddy.

Hopefully if Derann finds the opportunity to strike
gold with a new feature release, it will be one
that will fancy many collectors.

I spoke with a fellow collector that
knows of a lab that prints only dry,
and sends out to a wet lab for the final
product in 16mm.

He told me that all 16mm color,and
black and white reversal stock
has been discontinued by Kodak.
Plus his lab is in search of another wet lab,
because the one that he used for 30 plus years
has recently closed its doors.
Who would have believed that 16mm printing
is not as popular as it once had been.

Thankfully there are the facilities in
Europe that are availing this
support to collectors.

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 24, 2007 11:16 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin,

The machine is the Eumig Mark S O&M. I have never heard the ELMO 1200 that also has optical sound, so I don't know how that one sounds, but I do know that this Eumig Mark S has VERY good sound.

--------------------

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 25, 2007 02:47 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kev,

I've had 2 or 3 Eumig Mark S O&M's through my hands, and although they are only 600' capacity the optical sound is very good, the only drawback is the non stadard optical lamp (I believe the same lamp as the Fuji SD Auto).

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 25, 2007 10:02 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry,

you are ABSOLUTELY correct about the awkwardness of the optical lamp for this projector! (Mark S O&M) I haven't been able to locate those actual bulbs anywhere. I have instead started using the same size bulbs but different wattage. They work, but the bulb isn't as bright, therefore, lower audio output on my optical sound ... GRRRRR!!

Now, if I can just figure out why the "claw" won't shutter me films thru, I'll be a lot better off.

Concerning the post, I'm hoping for good luck with my optical collecting soon, (concerning rare titles), as I'm going to put an ad in "Reel Image" and see what happens. I just got a copy of "For Your Eyes Only" in optical sound, and I didn't know about that one before as well, so every month or so, I have the chance to own yet another rare title on Super 8.

By the way, I have run into at four different makers of Super 8mm optical sound projectors :

Copal CP 502
Emumig Mark S O&M
ELMO 1200 (which model?)
Yashica sound P810

--------------------

Christopher Quinn
Film Handler

- posted June 25, 2007 10:12 AM      Profile for Christopher Quinn   Email Christopher Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are all Optical prints P&S?

How are the colours holding up on your print of For Your Eyes Only, Osi?

All times are Central
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC