8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » (again) Super 8mm appears in Indonesia Magazine

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: (again) Super 8mm appears in Indonesia Magazine
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted June 29, 2009 06:47 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guys...

It is an interesting experience when you know a local magazine put an article focusing on 8mm films, especially if you are in there [Wink] .

Although, Indonesia is not known to have 8mm collectors but I always try to (re-)introduce it to people there regarding this nice format.

I have once succeeded and a Male Magazine "Male Emporium" put 4 pages article about me and 8mm films. The pages scan can be found here.

But I am still unsatisfied because that magazine is focusing the reader on male things (similar to Penthouse but much softer) so perhaps it doesn't really touch the audience I expected.

Luckily I involved in Audiophile community and one of the members introduce me to the owner of "Audio Video" Magazine (i.e a sort of local "What Hi-Fi ?"). The owner was so amazed with my collection and sent one reporter to cover my collection.

And below is what appears on this month (June 2009) edition.

(I try to put a free translation for you to understand the article)

Page 1

-

quote:
The Excitement of an old-fashioned Home Theatre

Do you remember their funny action of Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy, where the two comedians can make us laugh hardly although usually it is fewer dialog used or perhaps, a musical drama such as The Sound of Music (1965) with a legend actress Julia Andrews as Maria and Christopher Plummer as Captain Von Trapp?

-

quote:
If the answer is “Yes”, you are lucky enough to see those movies that have given such influence to the today’s movie worlds. However, if you answer it “No”, it is not impossible to get them on DVD, nowadays.

For Winbert Hutahaean, a movie lover, the enjoyment of seeing those movies is more tastefully not to play them on DVD, but on 8mm celluloid, a standard format for domestic use. For your info, it is similar to 35mm that you find on Cinema but only smaller, while 16mm is also exist for non-cinema purposes such as School or open air Cinema. Of course, Winbert does not only own the two titles above but there are more titles from various genres. There are, at least, 500 titles he has collected and the numbers keep growing as long as he can find. Those 8mm films are now stored inside his designated home theatre at one of the rooms in his house in Bintaro.

In a room with a dimension (length x width x height) 5.5 meter x 4m x 3.5m (18 feet x 13f x 11.4f), Winbert and his family spend their time enjoying 8mm films on a big screen measuring 4m x 3m (13 feet x 9.8 feet) with masking on left and right side. For sound system he equips with old gears are as follows:

Projector 8mm films: Elmo ST-1200HD (2 projectors)
Amplifier: Denon PMN-360
Speaker: Technics

These equipments can create stereo sound amplification.

-

quote:

During our visit to his resident, we (AVI, the magazine) can feel the old-fashioned ambience especially when Elmo ST-1200 HD is playing an old movie at 18 fps (frame per second) and showing a 10 minutes trailer in mono sound. According to Winbert, he has two identical projectors in aim to keep the continuation of a full feature movie because for 2 hours movie it is divided into 5 to 6 reels. “One reel is about 400 feet which is around 20 minutes. So for 120 minutes movies, there are 5-6 reels used”. Therefore every 20 minutes, every projector can play the reel in sequence uninterruptedly.

Winbert explains that although the home theatre does seem oldies but is not limited to play only old movies, because, he adds, “in overseas some new titles such as Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (2003) is also available in 8mm” says Winbert which is also a diplomat on his daily profession and is preparing his new assignment to Canada soon. “I buy many films from Ebay.com”, he explains more.

-

quote:
Beside is being used for playing those pre-packed movies, his home theatre sometimes is also used for watching his own family documentation taken with an 8mm camera he owns, that is similar to what we have with Video Camcorder. The difference is on format i.e. using celluloid too.

His “camcorder” is Magsound SD 817M. He has two cameras and they are working well.

It is true that the enjoyment does not always come from today’s technology at least that what Winbert has told us. Winbert says that the 8mm projector is seen too complicated but that is the enjoyment side. No wonder that besides his old-fashioned home theatre, Winbert also provides his entertainment lounge with a turntable and a huge vinyl collection.

END **** END

More pictures in the magazine

-

www.winbert.co.cc

cheers.... [Wink]

[ July 30, 2009, 01:10 PM: Message edited by: Winbert Hutahaean ]

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 29, 2009 06:49 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
GREAT POST, Winbert. Simply great!

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 29, 2009 07:48 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Grrrrreat post ...

and now we know what Winbert looks like for, isn't that our own Winbert in that one shot?

Super 8's so cool! We're such a minority that were celebrity!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 30, 2009 01:41 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well bloomin' done!

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted June 30, 2009 02:31 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice stuff, Winbert. Well done, sir.
[Smile]

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted June 30, 2009 02:45 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice, Winbert.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 30, 2009 03:48 PM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Neat one,Winbert! [Smile] Trev

[ August 20, 2010, 09:16 PM: Message edited by: Trevor Adams ]

--------------------
Trevor

Flavio Stabile
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 30, 2009 04:26 PM      Profile for Flavio Stabile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My compliments too, Winbert!

Flavio

Elyas Tesfaye
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 05, 2012 09:06 PM      Profile for Elyas Tesfaye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agian, just plain magnificent [Smile] ))!!!

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 05, 2012 10:49 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert celebrity!
Wow that is a great article your home cinema looks so cool. Why did I think all this time you were a Canadian ? You look part Asian and I'm glad you are into ELMO projectors!I have a feeling that it is what Osi said Super 8's so cool! We're such a minority that we are famous from it and we are interesting to people. The Press want interviews about our hobby.
I don't know why I love film and not this digital stuff like everyone in the world? I have been digging it since I was a kid. Maybe it is like what Jackson and Spielberg said at a San Diego Comic Con 2010. They prefered working with film when asked the question they called the guy up to the stand and gave him a hug in a room full of thousands. I was sitting right next to the guy after raising his hand he said do you still use film? He stole my question I told Ray Harryhausen once that I collected super 8 flims of his movies and even he gave me a great big hug. Winbert rock on bro!

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted December 07, 2012 08:31 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why did I think all this time you were a Canadian ? You look part Asian and I'm glad you are into ELMO projectors!
Sorry to miss this question since two postings about article in magazine were resurrected at the same time.

Lakshmi, I am in Canada because the nature of my work which some of you might have known. If you back to my first postings in 2004/2005 you would see that most of them were about Fiji. Then between 2006-2009 were about Indonesia and now I am in Canada.

I will be in another country next time but I am not Canadian, far from that.

Yes, I am Asian, but most people in the world use the word "Asian' for people coming from oriental countries, but no I am Indonesian. Here in Canada I sometime was mistakenly was thought as a First nation (= native American) [Wink]

--------------------
Winbert

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 07, 2012 08:22 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey thanks for the info I'm native American. But I have an east indian name from my Guru from India.

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC