8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Nice ebay lot. (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Nice ebay lot.
Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted September 20, 2011 11:46 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This would make a nice package for someone at the right price:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Super-8mm-full-feature-films-Derann-Elmo-GS1200-projector-NO-RESERVE-/230675388341?pt=UK_DVD_Film_TV_OtherFormats_GL&hash=item35b55317b5

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 20, 2011 12:46 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Gawd!

What a nice collection. I'll be curious to watch it and see just how high it will spiral opwards ..

However, that's the funny thing with ebay. Sometimes, a rediculously low starting bid will garner a great soaring price (ala that STAR WARS feature), ande then sometimes only one bid will come in ...

In which case the pooe fellow or lady contractually has to complete the transaction for an alarmingly low profit margin and in many cases ... loss.

The thing that gets me here, is ... is this a person who doesn't know about the 8mm forum, small film format forum or the 16mm forum? He would no doubt get a lot more money than he will by just selling them in this large lot.

He is obviously at least a partial member of the super 8 bunch, as he says in his auction that he traded with Derann, so I would think that he was at least in the know with collectors?

... or is this "lone wolf" collector?

What a pity that these films and projector will not garner probably even half as much as it is deserving of.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted September 20, 2011 01:31 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect the seller is not short of money because the lack of a reserve for a lot like this is quite a risk. I agree with Osi that he will probably get far less than the total value of the goods. Some of my best bargains on eBay have been when sellers have lumped together diverse items in a situation where hardly any buyer will want everything. In such situations, I suspect that many people are put off by the thought of getting items they don't want, evan at a bargain price. Whilst most of us here would consider it no problem to sell of any unwanted goods, I know collectors who NEVER sell anything - it doesn't seem to be in their nature for some reason, and anything unwanted is put at the back of cupboard!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted September 20, 2011 02:03 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He or she is definitely taking quite a risk puting these up without any reserve.
The one thing which might prevent this going high is that the seller is an unknown quantity - a new ebay member with zero feedback. This may well deter some from bidding high.

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2011 04:06 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even with shipping to the US.....no, no, mustn't start thinking that way.... [Big Grin]

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted September 21, 2011 01:58 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a revision on his/her description:

quote:
ATTENTION BIDDERS:

After receiving several emails from bidders and proven by my call to Royal Mail, it is correct that these items CANNOT be sent in one shipment. For a projector alone is 14kg (31 lb) plus packing will come to almost 20 kg. And now there are tons of films which I guess more than 30kg. Shipping through Royal Mail with insurance has never been cheap. Therefore to satisfy all bidders, I will sell the films and projector in separate listings.

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Wink]

--------------------
Winbert

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted September 21, 2011 08:00 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a bit surprising that he's made that decision the day after adding a comment saying that he has had many enquiries about picking up the goods in person!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Greg Marshall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 21, 2011 11:00 PM      Profile for Greg Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do hope he lists the films separately. There are some titles I'd surely like to have. Hopefully he'll offer shipping to the US as well.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 22, 2011 02:31 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
£485.00 and climbing! [Eek!]

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted September 22, 2011 06:25 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think this chap clearly doesnt understant ebay too well, he wants to do it all seperate and doesnt know how to end the listing and with bids on it may be too late.
I would hate to see this collector be ripped off. I'm surprised he didnt contact someone like paul foster or ian at perrys to help him with this lot. Does anyone know who he is?

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted September 22, 2011 09:52 AM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It does seem strange that he knows how to list his items on ebay, upload the picture, add revisions and yet cannot cancel all bids and retract the auction. Or maybe I'm just overly suspicious.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted September 23, 2011 06:46 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see this item has now been cancelled, although it would have been great to have won this lot for a few hundrud pounds i do hope the seller gets what its worth.
Whoever he or she was.I think he or she is very scilly to sell this lot just because Derann have closed, I cant say whats on my mind about the closure but it cetainly isnt the end of cine.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted September 23, 2011 01:07 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think he said he was selling just because Derann closed. He was moving into 16mm.

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 23, 2011 05:48 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like he's listing the films individually.

web page

Tommy Woods
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 23, 2011 06:08 PM      Profile for Tommy Woods   Email Tommy Woods   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with you Paul,if he's savvy enough to know how to list photo's from photobucket then he should know how to end items,also he'll send worldwide? thats a leap of faith for a novice!!I suspect he's far more experienced than he's making out!!

--------------------
Let there be light,so god created the projector

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted September 24, 2011 03:20 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good point Mike, i thnik he did say something about he only dealt in 8mm through Derann

"Previously I only trade my films through Derann at Dudley, but sadly this shop has just closed this month".

I'm sure with such an excellent amount of quality films he must know of Perry, P Foster and CHC? Still, there off e bay now.A lucky escape for this individueal i suspect.

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 24, 2011 05:05 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, they are not "off ebay". He has relisted the items under two seperate listings. See the link above.

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted September 25, 2011 03:25 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh right, thanks for that, i'll watch this with interest,

good luck to anyone bidding. [Wink]

Del Phillipson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 28, 2011 11:00 AM      Profile for Del Phillipson   Email Del Phillipson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't know if anyone's noticed, but this guy is from the British Virgin Islands, now I remember him originally saying that people could collect the items in person, now how on earth is anybody going to do this unless they are going there for a holiday. It all sounds a bit risky (no feedback etc.), I'm staying well clear, something doesn't feel right, Del.

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 28, 2011 11:35 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see that. The current film listing says the seller is in London and ships from London. Too bad he's a novice, though, as shipping to US is blocked, probably most other places too. Amazing what a click of a mouse can do.

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 28, 2011 12:44 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Del, I thought it was just me that was "paranoid"?

Coincidence or deja vu? The similarities between the film titles in these two sales is a little uncanny?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260857140762

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230676642190?

Also, the winning bidder of the 1st link has "zero" feedback and the seller of the second link has "zero" feedback.

Also, a change of the "2nd link" sellers' "Ebay name", in the past view days

Also. the sale items in that link are "located in London" -

The sellers' location is stated as - "British Virgin Islands" (That's one hell of a trip to a Derann Open Day!)

To quote Artie Johnson from "Rowan & Martin's Laugh In" -

"Very interesting but......" [Razz]

If all of this is pure coincidence then I apologise to all... My wife says I am a cynical pessimist(in an optomistic way, of course).

I may just be paranoid..... (Why are you reading what I have written?????) [Wink]

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 28, 2011 01:56 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Strikingly similar list, with minor differences and the reel configurations are different.

If they're the same, why would someone move them on so quickly? Maybe they're all scratched?

Tommy Woods
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 28, 2011 03:17 PM      Profile for Tommy Woods   Email Tommy Woods   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have also noticed that in the listing the projector is clearly included,but then he has answered a question and withdrawn it??

--------------------
Let there be light,so god created the projector

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted September 28, 2011 11:03 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The confusion regarding his location is because the listing says London UK, but if you click on his name, you see British Virgin Islands. I think it's possible that he has very little PC/internet knowledge and therefore appears chaotic, but I'd be wary of sending him money. I've asked him if a buyer can pick up the goods (from London) and pay cash.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2011 12:15 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If so, wanna bid for me? [Wink]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC