8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » 61st BFCC 27th October 2012 (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: 61st BFCC 27th October 2012
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 30, 2012 04:55 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John

I saw "Zulu" when it was released on the cinema run long long ago during its summer run at the local cinema in Scotland. I must have been 12 or 13 at the time, and its still stuck in my mind.

So how did the last reel of "Zulu" go? anyone got a spare 35mm print? [Big Grin]

Graham.

|  IP: Logged

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 30, 2012 06:14 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There were no gremlins in the works this time.
ZULU looked and sounded very good on that 24ft screen.
As an aside, both Ivor Emmanuel (the corporal) and Richard Burton (the narrator) came from the same small village about 2 miles from here.

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2012 06:24 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, John Bird does still do his 'Reels on Wheels' but nowadays it's video projection I'm afraid. Still, he's 89 years young now but with his youthful assistant (Billy who is 81) you'd think they'd put the extra effort in to do a proper film show!

Thank you everyone. And thank you Mark Williams, Fabrizio Mosca, Graham Sinden and Ben Wales for sending us the pictures through so we can keep a record of the day on the site. If anyone else still has something then please email it through to me.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted October 31, 2012 01:43 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still can't get these new pictures on my home PC - I've tried reloading the page which just switches me back to the BFCC homepage.
Not sure why I can't get these???

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 31, 2012 01:54 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, I had the same problem. I got the page to update by googling "British Film Collectors Convention" and clisking on the BFCC web page on the google list.

John, any chance we'll get to see the film that the University students were shooting at the BFCC?

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted October 31, 2012 02:01 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul,

Yes, I also tried this but still just the same. Weird!!

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 31, 2012 02:24 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try this:
http://www.bfcc.biz/

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted October 31, 2012 02:29 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still no good. So strange. I'm not having any problems at all with any other pages.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted October 31, 2012 03:33 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, you're absolutely right, it does the same with me.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted October 31, 2012 03:56 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, at least it's not just me. Let me know if you figure it out, Hugh.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2012 04:37 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try http://www.bfcc.biz/61stbfccpage1.html

And let me know which browser you are using because I spotted some trouble with Mozilla Firefox recently.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2012 09:25 AM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, I'm using Mozilla Firefox and everything's OK

--------------------

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted November 02, 2012 10:00 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems that John has sorted the problem Michael.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted November 02, 2012 01:57 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that link works fine, John. Thanks. However, I still can't load it on the regular BFCC site. I'm using Chrome.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 03, 2012 06:17 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try using another browser Mike because it could be that the way the BFCC site was set up all those years ago is not compatible with the later ones. And there ain't nothing I can do about that short of re-writing the whole thing.

I did have some problems recently myself as I said but that mysteriously sorted itself with no intervention from me. I've always written the HTML in Notepad and checked it all with Internet Explorer so if you take a look at the source code you'll see it's all very compact and simple. Most sites are now written using web creation tools so the coding is just a complete mess. Perhaps Chrome only works with web pages created using certain tools. The Independent 8 pages are somewhat more complicated so I knock most of the code for those up in Microsoft Word.

--------------------

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 03, 2012 09:30 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes your browser cache can cause you problems in viewing some sites. This often happens if one of the cache files gets corrupted.

Give this a try it might work. The last time I cleared it there was over 300mb in it. Checked just now and its 65mb. I mainly use Firefox.

For Firefox.

Clear the cache

At the top of the Firefox window, click on the Firefox button (Tools menu in Windows XP) and then click Options
Select the Advanced panel.
Click on the Network tab.
In the Cached Web Content section, click Clear Now.
Click OK to close the Options window.

Internet Explorer.

Click the Tools button , and then click Internet options.

Click the General tab, and then, under Browsing history, click Delete.

In the Delete Browsing History dialog box, select Temporary Internet files, click Delete, and then click OK.

Google Chrome

Delete all your data

Click the Chrome menu Chrome menu on the browser toolbar.
Select Tools.
Select Clear browsing data.
In the dialog that appears, select the checkboxes for the types of information that you want to remove.
Use the menu at the top to select the amount of data that you want to delete. Select beginning of time to delete everything.
Click Clear browsing data.

Try to avoid clearing browser history this will clear your links in the address bar.

You can set to auto clear on exit too. Now most users have a fairly fast connection, you probably don't need a cache anyway?

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 04, 2012 06:49 PM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[BELATED!] Thanks to Keith, John & all the dealers & people that contributed to a great day of fun; had kinda missed Ealing & the new venue's a lot better than Ruislip I must say,as closer to tube stn & I had this 'community' feeling stronger than there-all was in one place, great!
Enjoyed the film shows & had some little bargains, was also good to see the people that were there, amongst which many friends from Italy, France & Portugal! Unfortunately was the only Greek there--first time ever as memory goes!--it's obvious Greece is in deep recession isn't it? [Frown]
.....great to hear next BFCC's sorted already-although too close to Blackpool....would it, I wonder, not be a feasible solution to move it to the spring, so that we don't have two major events one month after each other??.....

--------------------
Yannis

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 05, 2012 02:42 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it would be good to move it to Spring but I wouldn't be able to help Keith put it on. So that's that I'm afraid.

Be aware everyone Keith is currently just considering a date for next year and so I've slapped something up on the next event page. There is nothing definite yet. This recent event only did a little more than cover its costs so if there is one last try then we'll need as many people as possible to make the effort to get along. Once this convention is gone we'll all miss it as we'll have very little chance to get together without a gathering in London. For us it's easier to get to Cinesea than it is Blackpool. A bit more expensive but an easier trip!

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 05, 2012 09:28 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, I really believe that the entrance fee should be raised to the point where the BFCC can more than cover costs. Surely, no cine enthusiast is going to object to a 10 or 15 pound entrance fee for a wonderful day in Ealing.
Do whatever it takes to keep this great convention going.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 05, 2012 07:45 PM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely worth the trouble John, was actually referring to Blackpool being moved in the spring, not Ealing; Keith told me it's not feasible to hold it in May,as the school's not available then, while it is for the October half term.So my point was that if Blackpool was moved to,say, March or May that might be better than having the two big conventions in 3 weeks from each other!
....Obviously just a thought-don't know how feasible that'd be...

--------------------
Yannis

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted November 05, 2012 09:20 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's hard to imagine Blackpool earlier in the year in the sense that it has a very long history and I think every one (and certainly every one since 1984, when I started going) has been in November, although there were some smaller Blackpool events in March.

[ November 06, 2012, 07:50 PM: Message edited by: Adrian Winchester ]

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 07, 2012 09:35 AM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
....might be worth checking this in 2 weeks-the feasibility of the idea-when we're there...

--------------------
Yannis

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 07, 2012 12:50 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yanis,
this quote from Mr Guest seems pretty final:

re blackpool i have no intention of moving from the month of november as its always been in november plus i am far to busy to have it any other month .i dont think that there are lot of public who come from ealing to blackpool .derann started one up in birmingham many years ago to attract dealers and public from ealing but this was short lived so all in all i thinks its best to keep going with a month that suits everyone .lookforward to seeing you on the day

--------------------

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2012 11:04 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill Davison started the Northern Film Collectors Convention in 1977 if I remember correctly. This was as a result of the first British Film Collectors Convention in 1976 but even the BFCC was somewhat different in those days - the shows look to have been absolutely fabulous and across a variety of gauges but there wasn't a separate dealer area. Blackpool was very much a projector on stand and a tripod screen with films being threaded up as dealers supplied them for screening.

You can see a lot from back in the day on the first Men Behind The Movies DVD which can be purchased from the Filmtek pages of www.bfcc.biz. Great nostalgia and choc-full of information and history on our hobby.

--------------------

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2012 01:16 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I feel fairly sure that Les Siddall I think was his name, who owned Regent Films of Blackpool was the gentleman who started the Blackpool Film Convention.

I remember him on the ticket desk too, this was when Derann took over the running of it.

In case you never heard of Regent Films they were mainly importers of 'American prints' from the likes of Columbia. The quality of some of the same films that were released in the UK were sometimes not up to the same standard. They were also a main importer of Blackhawk releases & Thunderbird Films. I don't recall them ever releasing their own titles.

Bill Davison could have helped in the setting up, & was the man on stage, the roll taken over by the late Derek Simmons.

Bill was the reviewer in Movie Maker magazine.

One of my projects over the winter is to scan the various catalogues I still have and put them up on my website in pdf format. Also some of my Movie Maker, Film Making, Films & Filming.

If anyone has old catalogues that they could either scan or send me I would be very grateful.

If you have any please PM me.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

All times are Central
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC