8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » DVD copies of Super 8 prints .... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: DVD copies of Super 8 prints ....
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 22, 2012 01:34 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen these for the last two months or so, but I believe that someone is on some very bad grounds.

Someone is makin g DVD prints of thier super 8 collection and marketing them over ebay. Now, selling an actual super 8 print is one thing, as you haven't made a copy of it and your sel;ling the actual print.

... but all those super 8 prints, on the boxes (wel;l, not every distributor did so) they say "for private home viewing" ...

... and to make your own DVD copy is certainly infringing on the original copyright owner.

If a studio wated to, they could sue the s**t ot of this person, that's for sure. Perhaps they're banking, "by the time someone sues me, I will have made enough money to make it all worthwhile ...

but certainly a very bad idea, as it is the studios right and only the studios right, to make a DVD copy of thier own film, and not a private collector ...

... unless, of course, the specific film has run out on it's copyright, but nearly all film that this person is selling are certainly under copyright protection.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2012 01:49 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just annoyed at them popping up while I'm looking for FILMS! [Roll Eyes] I think this seller just doesn't understand film collecting. Maybe he or she thinks we'll buy these to preview a digest before buying, but that's a longshot....

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted October 22, 2012 06:35 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I think what they're doing is making a similar version on DVD
in the same edit as the 8mm versions,obviously minus subtitles
and where applicable the narrator.I personally can't see the point
of them,we only bought the 8mm versions then because that was
all that was available for sale from the distributors, why would
anyone want these clips,that only resemble the original.As you
gents rightly state, copyrights are being infringed.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted October 22, 2012 07:18 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen those lately. They are a lot of them being offered. I used to see one occasionaly before but this guy is going crazy with them. And he only get 5.00 for them? It's not worth the trouble you can get into.Besides,who wants to watch them on DVD. Where's the fun in that?

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted October 22, 2012 08:39 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seems pointless to me but I suspect some of the customers are ex-collectors feeling a sense of loss, having disposed of their entire collections!

[ October 23, 2012, 11:22 PM: Message edited by: Adrian Winchester ]

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Dave Velazquez
Junior

- posted October 22, 2012 09:09 PM      Profile for Dave Velazquez   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Velazquez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I've seen those too. Strikes me as weird. Unless you're curious about what the digest cuts of these movies are, why would you want to watch these, much less pay $5 for them?

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2012 11:41 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't get it [Confused] I cannot think of a sillier thing to spend $5 on.....

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Raymond Glaser
Master Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2012 11:51 PM      Profile for Raymond Glaser   Email Raymond Glaser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen them too - what a pain in the ass they are when you're looking for FILM titles !!!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 23, 2012 01:32 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Besides the illegality of them, note that the ebay seller doesn't put a single screen capture from the DVD but instead puts up a stock picture up which is obviously not from the film, (i'm not sure of a few of them), so the potential buyer doesn't even know if they are getting a faded scratched to hell super 8 print or a pristine unfaded super 8 print.

(please note, that this is not an encouragement for the seller to put up super 8 shots from the actual prints, as I certainly do not want to encourage the sellers illegal activity, (especially if this person could potentially be a member of our very forum here). If anything, this series of posts is to, if the person is a member, help them to desist from this activity before they hang themselves by thier very film stock!)

--------------------

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted October 23, 2012 01:57 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not quite sure what the gripe is here, folks.

Has anyone got a link?

Dave Velazquez
Junior

- posted October 23, 2012 09:45 PM      Profile for Dave Velazquez   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Velazquez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Golden-Voyage-Of-Sinbad-1973-super-8mm-color-sound-400ft-version-on-DVD-/321004412806?pt=US_DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray&hash=item4abd5a9f86

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted October 24, 2012 10:23 AM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These titles are listed under FILM STOCK as well. The only real film for sale is the 400' "Creature From The Black Lagoon" in 3-D.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Film-Stock-/63821/i.html?item=330814171083&pt=US_Film&hash=item4d060fa7cb&_ssn=scifitoys2011

I see these all the time when I search for film on eBay. Like the 37nchistory's DVDs, these are "MIRROR [MIMIC] REMASTERED EDIT VERSIONS OF... OLD 8MM DIGESTS." Many have been sold. If these sellers are breaking the law, I'm not sure if eBay or the studios know or even care.

--------------------
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow just a dream away.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 24, 2012 01:20 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is the very slightest part of me that envies this, in a manner. I mean, if he is taking aging but still good prints, and cleaning them up digitally and placing them on DVD, he is kind of an "archivist" of sorts.

Interestingly enough, I have heard that there a re a few DVD's put out under copyright by studios that, for a nifty extra, have included a telecine transfer of the super 8 digest from the 70's for nolstalgia purposes.

Does anybody know the titles I'm thinking of, because they escape me at the moment.

--------------------

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted October 24, 2012 01:46 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the links folks.

I have to say I don't see what the problem is. Who are the sellers harming? I mean, yes, we as collectors would not be interested in such material when we can have the original film prints. But, maybe some people will buy these for nostalgia reasons. Perhaps someone who collected these in their youth but now no longer have nor wish to have film projection equipment.

As for the copyright situation....come on now....we as buyers/sellers/traders of film prints over the years have suddenly acquired some kinda conscience on this matter?? [Big Grin]

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted October 24, 2012 02:34 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I myself have no argument with this,it isn't to my taste,
watching little 200 footers, but I would advise caution to these folk making them,because these films are not in the public domain
and these businesses that own the copyright can be protective.
There is a warning at the beginning of these prints about such
things, if someone is trying to make a "bob or two" for themselves
fine, but be careful.Myself,I think I'll stick to film, or at least the
full feature on DVD.

Timothy Ramzyk
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 24, 2012 10:22 PM      Profile for Timothy Ramzyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had to admit I was tempted, I no longer buy digests, and sold those which I had. Even in the heyday of my collecting I got snooty about digests instead focusing on complete subjects, I kinda miss them the way I do a familiar tune I'd almost forgot.

It's funny when I now watch a feature film of something i once owned a digest of. I'm always aware of when the clips in the digest kick in, probably because I watched 200 and 400 footers soo many times. I even anticipate their edits.

I buy a fair number of import DVD horror films, and the German disks frequently include 400ft. Super 8 transfers as an extra. Some look amazingly good some pink and spliced up. Still it's fun that they do it, and their heart is in the right place.

That said, I don't really get what this guy is up to, I'd rather have a transfer from the original prints or not at all.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted October 25, 2012 02:41 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who amongst us hasn't bought or sold a 16mm dupe print over the years?
Lets not be hypocritical about the whole copyright thing, eh!

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted October 25, 2012 05:03 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think anyone's being hypocritical Michael, we all have in
our own collections various copies that possibly we shouldn't,
as for copyright, you yourself were defensive about it if you thought an artists copyright would be infringed in an earlier thread.I personally have no gripe either way,I only advise caution
because the powers that be view it as piracy.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted October 25, 2012 05:40 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, my mistake then.

I thought Osi's original post came across as somewhat pontifical in the matter of copyright.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted October 25, 2012 06:04 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Osi's just like the rest of us Michael, and that is concerned
that some poor soul is riding for a fall, at least in the days of the
"white box special", it was done a bit more circumspect than
a clutch of adverts on Ebay, of all places.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 25, 2012 06:58 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bottom line… They just look better on film.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted October 25, 2012 07:31 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
A better option for whoever is making these little discs would
have been on here where at least he's selling to interested folk
that would buy them.They might even have been of use to anyone
wishing to put a soundtrack on their own 200' clips.It might have
been in his interest to issue them multi lingual for the collectors
in other parts of the world.Whatever,as Lee states,film is best.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted October 25, 2012 09:00 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Bottom line… They just look better on film.

I totally agree.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted October 25, 2012 09:33 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In terms of the legal issues, we know that people have been willing to take a chance by putting 8mm digests on You Tube. I don't know if any distributors have caused any of these to be removed or - more seriously - taken action against any such individuals. If there's no evidence of such steps, that's liable to encourage anyone selling these DVD transfers. Although I'd agree that the chances of prosecution are probably very small at worst in relation to most releases, I still think that if anyone tried it in relation to a Disney 8mm release, they would be extremely unwise, but they may know that.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 25, 2012 01:51 PM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't looked at these listings but from what has been written on here the perpertrator is transferring copyrighted motion pictures (or cutting a sell-through DVD down to match the original Super 8 edit) and is therefore breaking the law. What makes this more serious than just putting them up on YouTube is there is a charge for the copies. This is video piracy and as such the culprits could be persued.

If it were something I'd created that was being pirated I'd go after them and I won't be surprised if the studios finally spot it and have him.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC