8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Same Print, Different Cover (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Same Print, Different Cover
Douglas Meltzer

- posted August 27, 2013 08:24 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Every so often a distributor felt the need to "freshen up" the artwork for their releases. Here are a few examples:

-

-

___

-

-

___

-

-

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

|  IP: Logged

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 28, 2013 12:23 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't realise, until Doug pointed it out, that there were TWO
different covers to the Professionals, I assumed one was for the foreign market.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 28, 2013 01:33 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if the first scan of "The Professionals" is the original card box? The second is the same as mine in the plastic library case.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 28, 2013 02:35 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wish they wouldn't do that, it's the same with record covers and books.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted August 28, 2013 08:54 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David,

Yes, that first Professionals scan is the cardboard box. Columbia changed their artwork for a number of their titles.

Doug

--------------------

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted August 28, 2013 10:53 AM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's another Columbia title.

CAT BALLOU

Not only was the box changed but they are actually different films because of the way they were edited.

-

--------------------
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow just a dream away.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 29, 2013 02:09 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know that either Chris, although Mountain Films in the
UK also did a different edit of "Cat Ballou" & "The Professionals".
Theirs had a running time of 12 - 13 mins.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted August 29, 2013 02:16 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I'm wrong, but didn't Castle occasionally release two different versions of their cutdowns - I'm thinking, in particular, of Son of Frankenstein.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 29, 2013 03:11 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Mountain Films when they originally did the Columbia digests they were shorter than the US versions. The same with Ken Films, Fox films. I remember one ad for "The Sound Of Music" boasting about the longer running time. Not sure if it was an ad by Mountain or Portland Films (same company though).

I have a Columbia 400ft of "The Guns Of Navarone" in just a yellow box with Columbia Pictures logos on it. I wonder did this get a makeover.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 29, 2013 03:13 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Michael, in a way you're right, Castle released a 200', while
Universal 8 released a 400' , both titles can be combined, as their
is a chunk from the 200' that splices onto the 400', if I remember.
Lovely films.We're talking Universal here, the Castle/Universal
releases.

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 29, 2013 04:26 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One title that comes to mind is Mickey Mouse - The first fifty years. Ive seen at least 3 different boxes for it. A red box, a silver box and one with a large '50' on the front.

Graham S

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 29, 2013 04:40 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael...yes Castle's 200' Son Of Frankenstein was re-edited in the early 1970's so that film had the same box art but two different prints.

Bill [Smile]

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 29, 2013 04:49 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
What were the differing scenes Bill?

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 29, 2013 04:56 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I only have the first issue that came out in 1965 that had long lab scenes with the monster laying on the table. The second one came out in the early 1970's and featured more footage of Boris and Bela but I have not seen this one. I am only repeating info from this forum in fact! Maybe someone who knows the scenes exactly could reply.

Bill [Smile]

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted August 29, 2013 05:07 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you certain that they had the same box art, Bill?

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 29, 2013 05:10 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Castle 200's did. The U8 box had the Warhol style graphics.

Bill [Smile]

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted August 29, 2013 05:23 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks.

I had the feeling that as well as the more recognisable cover, there was also a box with art similar to this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-8mm-home-movie-Abbot-and-Costello-meet-FRANKENSTEIN-RARE-/390651150005?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5af49f7eb5

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 29, 2013 05:35 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That would be Bride Of Frankenstein...with the bride in the place of A&C....the Castle's Son Of Frankenstein had Basil looking in the magnifying glass.

Actually there are many of the Castle A&C's with different covers and being a completest collector that's bad news because I like having all the covers!

Bill [Smile]

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted August 29, 2013 05:37 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. You're right. It was Bride.
[Smile]

Douglas Meltzer

- posted August 29, 2013 08:02 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris,

Thanks for showing the two Cat Ballou covers. Columbia released their second edit before the clamshell cover....just a year or two after the original edit. They decided to feature more of Lee Marvin's character(s) in the re-edit.

Michael, Bill & Hugh,

The differences in the two Castle Son of Frankenstein versions can be found in this thread and yes, they both used the same artwork.

David,

The UK release of Guns of Navarone had a b&w still of Niven, Peck and Quinn on the cover.

Doug

[ August 29, 2013, 09:24 PM: Message edited by: Douglas Meltzer ]

--------------------

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 29, 2013 10:29 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I had difficulties trying to get
the Mountain version in colour from them, I already had it in B/W
but you would have thought it was a pirate version by the
obstacles I had to overcome, they even seemed to comfuse themselves with " Jumbo" & " Jumbo Giant" description of films.
Eventually, I won, but it took weeks, I don't know if the Mountain
version ever got State side, but thanks to our Doug for illuminating
this part of film collecting,especially the box collecting fraternity, which must be annoying.
What with differing versions from the same stable, plus foreign
versions as well, it's a bloody nightmare!

Douglas Meltzer

- posted August 31, 2013 11:43 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a case of the same print having three different covers!

-

Standard 8mm silent release from a.a.p., who later became....

-

....UA-8. I believe this next cover was put into service when Ken Films took over.

-

Nice artwork on this one.

Side note: This 1930 feature takes many liberties with Melville's story. Ahab starts out with both legs and a love interest. He loses a leg chasing after the great white whale and believes he has lost his love because he has lost his limb. He heads out again for revenge, kills the whale, returns home and finds true love!

Doug

[ September 01, 2013, 12:01 AM: Message edited by: Douglas Meltzer ]

--------------------

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 01, 2013 02:27 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The red box issue of "Mickey Mouse-The First Fifty Years" was a special collector's edition with a slide-on clear plastic lining. The box had a hinged cover, and a special illustrated booklet came with it.

--------------------
Maurice

Mark L Barton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 01, 2013 03:56 AM      Profile for Mark L Barton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I find the early Ken cover art work is awful, as if the 'artist' has traced over the original poster art at some point, ie The Poseidon Adventure. The original Poseidon poster is a work of artistic genius by Mort Kunstler, by the time Ken's art department had finished with it we have a scribbled and bastardised cover. Shame. The Columbia vacuum covers and universal 8 hard case slip covers were always excellent.

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 01, 2013 06:46 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You must have a great collection Douglas. I never knew there was an earlier version of Moby Dick; as the last cover doesn't mention John Barrymore, anyone seeing this in a catalogue would assume it was the Gregory Peck version.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC