8mm Forum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Osi's coring video (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Osi's coring video
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 05, 2014 10:26 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
All recliners are called LA-Z-BOY's even if there not
Now you understand what I meant. In our language there are so many nouns have become verbs. And if this is acceptable by the users, a thing (or trademark, brand) is no longer exclusively being used when the word is used as a verb.

quote:
Film is cored means that the film is on a core to everyone except you and Osi.
That is why I have told Osi now just to put a core and no need to change the listing, so end the debate. No need a reservation, "OK I am sorry if...".

With this video, it has now been proven that putting the film out of the reel with a Technicolor cartridge is possible, something that was the main concern before.

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted March 06, 2014 03:09 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oscar Wilde is quoted as saying:- "The Americans and the British are identical in all respects except, of course, their language".
Osi's eBay ad said "Film is cored".
Whilst this implies it was on a core, it appears it was not a core as we generally acknowledge what a core actually is, and how it's used.
A clear case of mistaken identity.

--------------------
Maurice

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 06, 2014 06:00 AM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have understood what you meant from the start Winbert. I'm glad to see you finally understand what I meant. Thank you Maurice for your input.

Now I have a headache. I'm going to take a Tylenol (even though I'm really taking an asprin)

Bill [Smile]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 06, 2014 12:08 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sheesh, if I had plastic cores, I would certainly use them, but those little things are hard to come by. About the only place that I have ever seen them on are on brand new cored super 8 optical features, and those are becoming nearly extinct these days.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 06, 2014 12:15 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found out LA-Z-BOY sells a line of office furniture...(seriously!)

I'd imagine the desk tops have foot rests and the chairs recline extra horizontally!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted March 06, 2014 12:31 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Osi, just put one core and that's it. Nothing then you have to change in the listing.

So, Winbert, you think that will be OK? One reel on a core, the others with nothing in the middle?
How do you think a buyer might feel about it?

quote:
That is why I have told Osi now just to put a core and no need to change the listing, so end the debate. No need a reservation, "OK I am sorry if...".
I'll restrain myself in the interest of forum decorum. My apology was given unreservedly. I was and am willing to admit that I may have been wrong about my original suspicions. There may even have been a misunderstanding about the word "cored".
Now, however, there is no such misunderstanding.

[ March 06, 2014, 02:10 PM: Message edited by: Michael O'Regan ]

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 06, 2014 05:15 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The thing is and it has been mentioned before, that most if not all film collectors would expect something that's advertised as having a core, that being placed in its "centre" supporting the film, be it plastic or cardboard or whatever, to be just that.

I do like Osi video, its clever [Smile] ...but it would be more "up front" to advertise "GWTW" as without one as it stands at the moment..just my tu-pence worth.

PS. If anyone on this forum, does buy the film, could they post another video on how they managed to get it onto reels? [Big Grin]

Graham.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 06, 2014 07:03 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The right thing for Osi to do is to remount the whole film onto reels before selling it, in other words sell the film in the accepted normal way.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 06, 2014 08:08 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Sheesh, if I had plastic cores, I would certainly use them, but those little things are hard to come by.
Not really... just follow this below message and give a response from there.

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=009016#000000

quote:
So, Winbert, you think that will be OK? One reel on a core, the others with nothing in the middle?
How do you think a buyer might feel about it?

No of course, if Osi the GWTW is on two spools then he has to put both on cores. That is why I opened the above thread.

I just want to congratulate Osi that through his video, he can prove that his Technicolor method does really work. Should Osi get the cores from my above thread and putting it on the middle of his Technicolor method, then there is nothing to debate here anymore. [Wink]

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 07, 2014 12:16 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh for Petes sake (and who is this Pete?) ...

If I had reels in the first place, it would be on them, even if it took 30 200ft freakin reels, (though, that would really be a pain in the arse! I wonder how many 200ft reels if would actually take?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Lindsay Morris
Film Handler

- posted March 10, 2014 04:36 AM      Profile for Lindsay Morris   Email Lindsay Morris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great Video Osi..well done.

The correct term for what you are doing there is NOT "coring" as you are not using a core..as nil available...the term is Plating Off "in 35mm parlance".
In the past when there were things like newsreels they arrived in battered tins simply wound nice and tight onto themselves with a hole in the middle about 15mm in diam.
When you recvd them and needed to wind onto spools to project (this was 2000 foot changeover days) you simply carefully placed them on the feed spindle of the rewind set, placed the end into the reel slot and CAREFULLY wound the film off itself onto the reel all the while holding holding your fingers of your left hand OVER the top of the plated film to help guide it and stop it falling off.
Wind on until all on the projector reel and you are done but maybe have to rewind cos the thing was Tail Out.
When you needed to send the newsreel or cartoon back you placed the plating device onto the threaded spindle of the winding side and very carefully wound the film from the reel onto the film stack slowly building up on the plating device but holding it firmly by the edges and winding on slowly and TIGHT.
At the end, tape the film end down and then carefully hold the 1000 foot of film and wind the plating device backwards slowly and slide the "plated film" off the spindle of the plating unit and in your hand you could hold 1000 feet of film wound nice and snug that you could hold horizontally and it would NOT end up a mess on the floor.
It took a bit of practice but once mastered was dead easy.

The Plating device was not unlike what Ozi has produced but was a brass spindle about 15mm in diam with a aluminium plate about 300mm in diam bolted onto a 50mm flange that was also part of the spindle.
You wound the film in snug against the ali plate (edge binding it is called) and I still use one today to send 35mm trailers back that have been sent out without cores.
IF wound on firmly I reckon you could get 1200 feet of S8 into a plated format suitable to ship between 2 bits of stiff cardborad which IF you had a hole in the middle of the S8 size the whole thing could be slipped over a projector spindle and secured and the stuff wound off carefully onto a spool.

I will see IF I can get some images to post using the 35mm setup to plate off a S8 film..it is dead easy if you have 16mm or 35mm rewinds available.
I guess that there is a time limit on going back to a post and Adding stuff.

For any site still using 35mm it still comes on cores NOW and one uses a split reel to core the feature back to return to the depot.
Have not seen 35mm film reels for shipping film in this country for at least 12 years..it is all cores or nothing and simply shipped in cardboard boxes...trunks went out with reels.

Lindsay

--------------------
Lindsay

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted March 10, 2014 04:46 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi
In answer to your question, you would need 24 spools of 200' length, although I can't conceive why you would even consider mounting "Gone With The Wind" on 200' spools.

Derann originally put this film out on 8 x 600' spools.

--------------------
Maurice

Douglas Meltzer

- posted March 10, 2014 08:56 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of long releases/small spools, I had the pleasure of meeting Ernie Zahn yesterday and the subject of Blackhawk's 8mm Intolerance came up. They released it on 13 200' reels!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Tommy Woods
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 10, 2014 09:53 AM      Profile for Tommy Woods   Email Tommy Woods   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My wife asked me why I haven't put in my two pennies worth,as "you have an opinion on everything"

That's when the fight started !!!

--------------------
Let there be light,so god created the projector

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted March 21, 2014 11:36 AM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have seen the "Platter onna Plank" video where Osi explains how he transferred the Gone With The Wind print onto a reel. This way he could view the film and clean it. This was to answer the question how it was done. Osi said that he
received GWTW from the person he was selling it for without reels or cores. I spoke with Fred K. Willders last week about a film I am buying from him. Fred is a great guy. During our phone call, Fred mentioned that Osi was selling a handful of his prints. I mentioned to Fred that I saw where Gone With The Wind had sold. Fred said GWTW was one of his prints he had sent to Osi to sell. I told Fred it sold without any reels or cores. Fred was surprised. Fred stated that he had shipped all his films to Osi on reels. So, why the "Platter onna Plank" video??

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted March 21, 2014 02:00 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To be honest, I heard this too but was a bit worried about bringing it up. I promised Doug I wouldn't mention it on this forum unless someone else did.

So, when Osi said this, specifically about his GWTW print, he was lying blatantly:

"In this case I got it cored, but just to show my determination to sell something proper, I actually had to "uncore" each and every reel with my one empty 600ft reel, just to test each reel and make sure it was in prime condition."

Osi, what's goin' on?

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 21, 2014 02:02 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now this must be Osi's favourite

-

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 21, 2014 02:05 PM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Cored".............. or "Bored"????????

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Douglas Meltzer

- posted March 21, 2014 02:07 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, very funny!

Dan,

I hope you've been well.

Michael,

I'm glad you waited till the person who actually made contact with the seller posted.

I'm sure Osi will reply shortly.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted March 21, 2014 02:26 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, there's something else a little worrying, which I didn't in fact know about, till reading Dan's post.

If Osi sold Fred's GWTW print on ebay on March 8th - two weeks ago - , shouldn't Fred know about the sale?

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 21, 2014 04:26 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who is Fred? This name was not mentioned from the beginning of this debate. And why it is mentioned now here.

I checked on the other forum, the very same post made by Dan was also posted.

My understanding is this thread was made to proove how Osi could uncore and recore those films and not really care about how he got those films.

Why we have to know somebody's else business? I am so puzzled now... [Confused]

--------------------
Winbert

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 21, 2014 04:30 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The question is "What did Osi know and when did he know it?".
If I were him I would take the fifth........ (of whiskey)! [Big Grin]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 21, 2014 05:11 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any chance that this could go onto the "Judge Judy" show?
 -
[Smile]

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted March 21, 2014 05:27 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's just give Osi the courtesy of allowing him to reply before getting into a debate, shall we, Winbert?

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 21, 2014 05:37 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is just not in my sense, you started all of this with "why you want somebody's else screen shot for your listing", then it was dragged into a question "do you have a split reel", and now "Fred used to own the print".

If this is in the court, like Graham's picture above, we cannot make a new accusition in the middle of a trial, but instead open a new case. By this, please open a new thread with a new subject, e.g "Osi where did you get your print "? etc, with a possibility like Martin's post above "cored or ....bored"

--------------------
Winbert

All times are Central
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC