8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » SO SAD

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: SO SAD
Paul Hussain
Junior

- posted July 24, 2014 04:17 PM      Profile for Paul Hussain   Email Paul Hussain   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
just passed by the mecca of super 8 today so sad just to see it standing there still empty such happy memories of days gone by.. [Confused] [Frown]  -

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 24, 2014 04:45 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Very true Paul, very true [Frown]

Gave a salute myself whilst driving past Dudley on my way to Cornwall recently.

[ July 25, 2014, 05:10 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 27, 2014 06:43 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone remember when that sign on the wall changed from Derann Film Services the movie centre of the Midlands to "Sign of a great deal" one and also to the even later one in the photo above? The photo I have of the oldest one has the Julia Hanson brewery over the other side of the road so it must be last century. The one after that has no brewery and decoration under the Derann name as well as the second slogan.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 27, 2014 07:34 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Such happy memories.

I remember about in about 1998 I was working for BBC Midlands and one Sunday had a job near Dudley.

In all my years if collecting I'd never actually seen the Derann premises, so I snuck off on the way back to the office, parked up near the High Street and walked the length looking for Derann.

It was the last building at the opposite end of the street. Of course it was closed (no open day that Sunday!) but I was so happy just to see where all my treasured prints were made.

Blamed my late return on the traffic!

I can't imagine any other shop that I would search out just to see!!

Nigel Higgins
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 27, 2014 12:06 PM      Profile for Nigel Higgins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A true one of a kind ,just like the owner both are sadly missed .

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 27, 2014 01:11 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The sadest thing is that it is said they didn't close down due to a lack of sales but because of local taxes increasment.

--------------------
Dominique

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 27, 2014 01:29 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your right Dominique, speaking with his son when the announcement to closedown, I'm sure he said the business rates increased three fold. Just looking around the high street gave it away, shops closed down and only cut price or Aldi style supermarkets to choose from. But for me the down turn started when Tesco's moved to the town, a huge development, that can easily afford any increase in rates put for forward by the greedy councils, and no parking does not help either. Very sad demise of a unique little business model with personal service
second to none.

Nigel Higgins
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 27, 2014 01:58 PM      Profile for Nigel Higgins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly this is happening all around the country and we was unfortunate that derann was taken from us due to greedy councils and large retailers taking over ,i worked for a small tv and appliances company which also went at about that time ,so sad i think in years to come the only shops will be Tesco etc ,if only i had the money id start up another business just like deranns producing new product for all 8/16mm collectors.

Kevin Hassall
Master Film Handler

- posted July 27, 2014 02:26 PM      Profile for Kevin Hassall   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i to really miss those days i use to say to the wife shall we go shopping and she would say where and i'd say how about lidl and she would say its only because derann is across the road isnt and i'd say no (it was really ha ha) i lved having a chat with the gang and buy a cheap film out of the trays or ask gary when he was sending the new lists out i use to look forward the lists i cant beleive its 3yrs september theyve been gone

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 27, 2014 03:28 PM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
....missing those open days & the chats with the staff too... 3 years already-& we're supposed to be in a country that supports small business development....anyway let's support those that are still trading in our hobby...

--------------------
Yannis

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 27, 2014 03:32 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Shame you never got to see the inner workings of this fantastic establishment Rob. At times it was truly fascinating depending on when you went. Obviously shelves were almost bare leading up to Ealing and the likes as I recall, but go on another day and there were loads of new features and top projectors out on display. I remember on one particular visit I made, one wall was just dedicated to brand new sealed 2x400ft Universal prints. all were around £20 as I remember. I picked up "The Jerk" staring Steve Martin and "Animal House" that day. Great great memories [Smile]

[ July 28, 2014, 03:05 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 27, 2014 04:37 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that about the time of the Derann closure Dudley was in the top 4 towns for vacant shops on the High Street. That tells it all, doesn't it?
I am currently looking at the front of shop on Google Streetview as it was in July 2012, the rear view showing that it may have been a four storey building is September 2012. No wonder the business rates were so damaging they were barely using 2 floors but had to pay for them all.

Clyde Miles
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 27, 2014 05:10 PM      Profile for Clyde Miles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
did the simmons family own the building, or rent?

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 28, 2014 03:33 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just finished having a look through Google street views and it is indeed sad to see the place like that.

Although I never had the chance to visit I still remember all those late long distance phone calls "12000 miles of it" to Gary after receiving the latest news letter in the post.

Gary was brilliant to deal with, and it was that excellent service along with Keith Wilton film reviews in the FFTC that made me spend a small fortune over the many years dealing with them. I do remember once buying a second hand print of "Once Upon a Mouse" the print was stunning, but the sound was only so so.

After a couple of years I contacted Gary with the view of paying for them to re-record the print for me, not only did they do this and I should add, that on its return it sounded great, but refused to take any payment.

Will have to read through some of those FFTC magazines, just for old time sake

Graham.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2014 03:57 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew, I bought those very two Universal 8 films at one of the Blackpool Conventions for £20.00 each too! Derann had a massive pile of Universal Films in the middle of the floor.

Fortunately I did also visit the shop several times after that initial visit.

One time I was taking back a video projector for repair and had a look in the 8mm department, where I bought a print of Beauty and the Beast; quite telling!

Went to a few open days too, which were nice, but I do wish I could have been there for the packed open days of the 80's, the video footage of which looks great fun.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 28, 2014 05:51 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh great news Rob, at least you got to sample the inner workings of Derann on several occasions. Nice purchase choice Rob on B&TB by the way.. One of their very best!

I must admit that now, when listening to others, I wish I had made more of an effort to have visited on open days, unfortunately, just like today, I was always bloody working! l.o.l.

Ah well, at least it provided me with the money to be able to buy films from them whilst still paying a huge mortgage at the time. [Smile]

--------------------

Nigel Higgins
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2014 09:09 AM      Profile for Nigel Higgins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I attended the open days in the 90s and there was a was always a Que outside ,lots of great films on display ,the film show and the auction ,i can still rember as if yesterday derek standing there doing his speech about new relaeses etc and telling the jokes ,the bring and buy and of course lots of great collectors and everybody got on it didnt matter if you had 1 film or 1000 you was always welcomed ,and yes i remember those brand new universal 8 prints they was in a big basket ,good old days

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted July 29, 2014 06:25 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul (or anyone) - have you tried peering through the windows or letterbox to see if anything is left inside? I wonder if the staff bothered to clear everything out. Shortly before I left on the last day, I discovered a stack of British quad posters on sale for only about £10 each. I couldn't have a proper look but they included rare 1970s exploitation-type posters in very good condition, so it would be a great shame if they ended up in a skip. I presume the trays of new Super prints on 200' reels were taken away, but it remains a mystery what happened to them!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC