8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Stagecoach,a question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Stagecoach,a question
Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted September 10, 2015 02:49 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight we put on our full feature version of the classic John Wayne western Stagecoach.Its been years since i sat through it, (its my Brothers, not really my cup of tea).
This is a full feature and i'm sure its not from Walton so i am trying to find out a couple of things because this is a good but strange print, let me explain,
The actual film came on 5 x 400 foot spools, plain white boxes.
The actual condition of our print is 100% good, no scratches and only two or three very good splices which i am sure are lab splices.
We have it mounted on an 800 foot spool, (quite full) & 2 very full 600 foot spools.
The sound is good, the picture is like the MGM's, ever so slightly soft, almost perfect on close ups.
However, it is what i would call a dark print, perfectly acceptable but clearly a little dark.
Does anyone know who,apart from Walton, released this full length feature, and does anyone own what we would call a really good pin sharp crisp copy?

|  IP: Logged

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 10, 2015 03:01 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DCR Films released it as a full feature. Derann also printed feature prints using DCR negatives. Both these releases tended to be sharper than the Walton prints and had a bluish tint.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted September 10, 2015 03:09 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mike. [Wink]

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted September 10, 2015 09:07 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the U.S. it was released by Hollywood Film Exchange. That's what my copy is and it originally came in individual plain white boxes. I haven't watched it in about 10 years but I don't recall it being too dark.

Luis Caramelo
Master Film Handler

- posted September 11, 2015 06:40 AM      Profile for Luis Caramelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi! Tom, i do have the full lenght of stagecoach.gil 5x400,my print it,s from red fox american print in polyestar stock a good print endeed,i guess like any title available in super 8,they
good prints and others not so good,i had once a version from walton films in 4x400ft abridge vesion,the black and white was very good also a little bit dark only in some scenes,but it,s only a question a luck,,,

best:
luis caramelo

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 11, 2015 06:59 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
You have the one to have there Luis. The Red Fox features are simply beautiful with their wonderful saturated rich colours.
A feast for the eyes!

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 11, 2015 12:19 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Strangely enough, this was also an optical sound super 8 feature, but since all super 8 optical sounds were pretty much printed on color stock, this one is no exception, except that it was purposefully given a sepia color to the film.

Unfortunately, it was not an LPP film stock for this optical sound print, so the sepia has more of a reddish quality, but this is one film where using a cyan filter doesn't hurt it at all, in fact, making it look better, as there is no fear of color loss.

It's a pretty darned sharp print, but I have also noted that it seems slightly dark as well, especially during the beginning credits, so it might just be that nearly all prints struck, whether magnetic or optical sound, have this slightly dark quality.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2018 09:00 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

Can you define the improvement using the cyan filter and how is the sound from the optical soundtrack?

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 15, 2018 12:08 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The sound from the optical track is probably not quite a good as the magnetic soundtrack (I'm just assuming that), but it is a pretty good mono, just the same.

With the cyan filter on it, it has a nice dark brwon quality which, being that it is a western, that nice sepia-tone does the film a credit, in my opinion.

I once sold a black and white print of this and I carefully looked at both print together and found the optical sound print to be sharper, but, being so many companies having put this out, i don't know which company put out that print on black and white film stock, so I can't for a fact that it's better than any black and white super 8 print.

I wonder, was this put out by derann films on super 8? If so, I would wager that THAT print would be the sharpest. [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2018 02:49 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The original negative was lost or destroyed apparently and the available prints had suffered over the years. It wasn't until 1996 that the film was restored using a new negative made from an un-projected print.

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2018 06:15 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is anyone familiar with the Hollywood Film Exchange release of Stagecoach? I am unsure if their release is slightly edited; perhaps by roughly five, or ten minutes?

I was told that HFE typically had the best Super 8mm prints from the existing Hollywood materials that was available at the time. I have their A Star Is Born from 1937 and it's mounted on six 400' reels. The quality is terrific, it's only that the color has faded.

Here's HFE's release of Stagecoach and it's mounted on five reels, and currently on eBay:

Stagecoach on eBay

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC