8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Review Wolverine Reels2Digital MovieMaker 8mm film digitizer (Page 50)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 56 pages: 1  2  3  ...  47  48  49  50  51  52  53  54  55  56 

Author Topic: Review Wolverine Reels2Digital MovieMaker 8mm film digitizer
Bruce Davis
Film Handler

- posted November 03, 2019 04:31 AM      Profile for Bruce Davis   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike Spice Hi cheaper CMOS sensors, as far as I can find out, have a problem (but used these days because they are cheaper) with light and dark on the same image (I may be wrong).

As with yourself, I am also disappointed with the results, I have been working on 2 x 50 ft rolls of super 8 for days to try and get reasonable results (post processing). Every scene change seems to be different, I know I am not an editing expert and am still learning, but if things can not be improved, for me it is not worth the time it takes.

I have used Video Fred's script with VirtualDub and it does a good job of good footage, but it is not able to handle or compensate for images with extreme light and dark.

When the same super8 film (with high contrast from Wolverine) is viewed through a projector, firstly the projected image is excellent and if I film the projection with my cheap mobile phone it gives a much better result (but of course the captured video is slightly scewed).

No Mike you are not alone.

I have also tried Nick Whitehead's Telecine program (quite old now), it does, by default, seem to give a better colour reproduction result, but the timing for taking the snapshot does not seem to be quite right. The images are taken while they have not steadied and therefore the images end up wavy.

Regards - Bruce

|  IP: Logged

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted November 03, 2019 05:35 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Bruce.

I'm not sure the scorpion vision is that cheap, some £80, and a £30 lens, I dare to think what the sensor in the Wolverine is (or isn't) worth...

I won't be able to post any stills until later as I have to go our for a few hours, but I will try and post some later to demonstrate the problem.

I understand exactly what you mean about projected images and then comparing to what the imaging source sensor is losing.

Very frustrating, I have spent the last 24 hours trying to get thro a 400ft reel, in tiff format. Some 82Gb currently copying to my network drive as a back up.

A good deal of it will be no good.
I never thought I would admit that the Wolverine can scan certain scenes better than I can with manual control and a frame by frame capture.

Like you, I am no expert, but given I can adjust exposure, gain, hue, gamma and white balance, I am very frustrated I can't get satisfactory results in cases where there are extremes of dark and light in the same frame, yet the wolverine does it will ease, on the fly.

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted November 03, 2019 09:30 AM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The light bleeding into the dark area could be one of the major causes. I am studying your picture Mike and I don’t think it is the sensor that is causing this. It is probably lens flare.
We can try the following
Lower Rez to get the sprocket hole out of the frame and check if the flare is still there. This will probably work but not a solution.
Rig up a tube (lens hood). to see if it is a reflection causing this outside of the lens.
Zoom out on standard Wolverine and check if the problem shows up.

We use a longer focal length lens and that makes the flare worse.

One more suggestion
Contact Imagingsource for advice.

Bob Vito
Junior

- posted November 03, 2019 02:42 PM      Profile for Bob Vito         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone experienced multiple frame captures for each frame advance? When I am using the faster frame advance speed on the modified Wolverine, The IC Capture software saves two files for each frame advance. The first file looks fine, but the second is somewhat squished, as if it is capturing the frame as the film is moving. If I use the slower frame advance speed, it captures four files for each frame advance. Any ideas on how to capture one file for each frame advance? Thank you.

--------------------
Bob

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted November 03, 2019 02:48 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bob make sure the sync works. Disconnect the sync from the board. The capture should stop. If that works make sure the timer is set to zero.
One more thought on lens flare. The metal bracket that holds the board is a nice shiny metal. Could it be reflecting back onto the film?

Bob Vito
Junior

- posted November 03, 2019 03:36 PM      Profile for Bob Vito         Edit/Delete Post 
Stan, I disconnected the cam sync connector and the captures stopped. Upon reconnecting the connector, they started again - 2 files each frame advance. The timer is set to zero.

The Device toolbar in IC Capture has an adjustable FPS field. When I increase it, the number of captured frames increases. Unfortunately, the lowest FPS listed is 3.82, and that is when it captures two frames for each frame advance. This is not insurmountable - I would just have to delete every other frame capture. I will continue working with the software to see if there is a better solution. Thank you.

--------------------
Bob

Bruce Davis
Film Handler

- posted November 03, 2019 06:06 PM      Profile for Bruce Davis   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bob Vito the FPS settings should not have any bearing on frame captures if your settings are correct. Make sure the "Activate External Trigger" option is active before you start the "Sequence Timer" otherwise it will just snap images as per FPS setting which is not what you want. The external trigger must trigger the camera.
regards - Bruce

David Brown
Film Handler

- posted November 03, 2019 06:15 PM      Profile for David Brown   Email David Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stan
You should stop reading the forum until you return home!! Helpless.
I can only make general comments as I don't have an operating Hawkeye.
I experienced lens flare early when capturing with a DSLR. I don't know why that is gone now. Maybe the light source and the film and the sensor were not all parallel. With all that resolved, and the same lens, but a light source much like the Wolverine has, it's gone. I still capture the sprockets with the light shining thru and it does not produce any lens flare.
That's not much help for those here, except it was an exposure problem.

I think the Wolverine has always used an auto exposure with the +.5 or -.5 added into the menu, It just put a limit on the auto exposure settings.

I finally captured the sprocket holes when using the Wolverine.
Captures had more detail at full wide, yet the compression was constant.

I wonder why auto focus would be used when the focus distance never changes? How auto focus could even work is a mystery.

Good luck Mike and others, you might wait until Stan returns unless you can find a way to use auto exposure with a limiting factor, and fixed focus.

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted November 03, 2019 08:41 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the capture stops when the ext sync is disconnected indicates that the camera is correctly programmed for ext sync. But the FPS should not have any affect. Was your setup always having this issue Bob? Possibly something turned on that we never used in IC Capture. Is there a reset to defaults? Try resetting the whole system including the computer. Make sure that you have only a single instantiation of IC Capture running.
David I am half crippled without the test system. But we have to start somewhere. The flare can be caused by internal or external reflections. Putting a black tube from the cam down to the film will tell us if it is external. I really do not think it is the alignment unless the spacers are uneven which Is unlikely.
The front hood is off and that is one of the differences between Hawkeye and Wolverine. I did not fully explain how the shiny metal around the camera can reflect back but it is possible. But anyways I will get to the bottom of this when I get back.

Markus Baur
Junior

- posted November 03, 2019 10:29 PM      Profile for Markus Baur   Email Markus Baur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know I am late to the game and have 25 more pages to read to get caught up in this thread.

I was initially interested in the Wolverine but quickly turned off by the image quality of the published sample. I always wanted to build my own after having seen some interesting builds like the rpi jas8mm one. But life got in the way and I never got around to more than a few experiments.

Fast forward to today. After having seen 12voltvids' teardown of his MovieMaker Pro, I saw that not all is bad. I especially like the design of the gate with the spring loaded pressure plates that hold the film down and look like they're doing a good job of keeping the film flat.

So I bought two broken machines in the hopes to get enough working parts. And getting one running turned out to be a lot easier than I had thought. It had a zero use count when I got it working [Smile]

Instead of working on a new build I started scanning with my new machine and ran into the exact things people were already complaining about: Jittery image, dark splotches across the picture due to debris falling onto the light table and overcompression as expected.

I made a few easy mods to deal with some of the problems I noticed:

(1) The image didn't seem to be as much in focus as it should, so I removed all the plastics and adjusted the lens. Here's where I found one more shortcoming: Are we still in the 1990s? Why the heck does this thing have analog video out with NTSC resolution when it captures in 1080p? Even more of a fubar when I learned that the controller is powered by a Novatek NT96650 which looks like it supports HDMI.

(2) I am pretty good at cleaning my film thoroughly before running it through any kind of machine. Still the Wolverine seems to be able to still scrape off some debris and throw it onto the light table. My quick fix: Run it on it's back like the jas8mm machine. Easy to build something to let it rest on the standoffs for the plastic housing.

(3) I looked at the jitter and arrived at the same conclusion as Mike: The tension of the pick up reel - even though it's reduced by the two rubber posts and the friction clutch seems to be too high. So my fix was to add a little micro switch wired as an interrupter for the take up motor. Here's a picture of my micro switch installation:. And here are two short clips showing the interrupter at work: overview close up

I hope this will add to the discussion. And now back to catching up on this thread and maybe getting on board with the full mod I've read about.

[ November 04, 2019, 09:43 AM: Message edited by: Markus Baur ]

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted November 04, 2019 10:14 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David Brown The mention of auto focus on my earlier post, was an error on my part, I meant auto exposure.

For anyone struggling with IC Capture

This is how I use it.

Begin by making sure

2 (external trigger) is off
1 (live view) is on

Set your resolution 3.
I am using 1200x1600

Use option % near circle 3, to make the preview window look good.

Don't touch 4 (fps) not required.

Choose from the view menu which tools bars you want, you can make various adjustments during a scan with the increment buttons next to each colour/brightness exposure option.

(Once scanning starts you will see the changes made to any settings you change, in the next frame captured in the preview window

In live view, line up some film.

Advance the film a frame or two to make sure the sprockets are correctly registered with the claw, go to capture device settings and make any changes to the 'partial scan' area, so the area of film you want is being captured correctly.

Get the settings for colour, brightness gain exposure etc set the way you want.

Once you have the window and settings how you want them, go to the file/save configuration and save your set up.

Then reload your just saved config file before you proceed scanning. This is your basic set up for scanning.

(Next time you fire up IC Capture, just reload the config file to set it up as you had it, make and save config files for any different set up's you might want to create)

Make a copy of the configs file as well, for back up.

Go to the sequence timer settings, icon adjacent the 'display save image' checkbox in the tool bar.

Choose your settings , image type, path to save, name and prefixes required.

Then, activate external trigger (2), then start timer 6

Then start the scanner.

The sequence timer can be opened with the clock icon next to the timer settings.

Auto exposure easily controlled on or off (5)

Remember if you stop the scanner, turn the timer off, then turn off external trigger to get live view back.

If you have timer turned on, and it is set to zero, without the external trigger activated, the software will capture hundreds of still images in a few seconds, images of nothing.

Get it in your memory:

External trigger on, timer on.
Timer off, external trigger off.

I hope that is of some help

-

[ November 04, 2019, 01:23 PM: Message edited by: Mike Spice ]

Bruce Davis
Film Handler

- posted November 05, 2019 09:09 AM      Profile for Bruce Davis   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to Stan & Mike
Compiled from Stan and Mike's contributions.
For anyone struggling with IC Capture:-

Open the GATE cover flap and check that the "CLAW" is in the disengaged position (lowered position), it's easier to place-position the film if the Claw is out of the way.

Due to the bright glare of the LED, I find it easier at this point to have power OFF. Once the film is correctly loaded close the GATE cover flap.

Start IC Capture 2.4 software without the camera connected, when the "Select Device" window opens, plug in the camera USB cable and wait a moment for the camera to appear, select it by double clicking on it or click on OK. Sometimes the IC Capture software will Freeze if the camera is connected at startup.

Advance the film several frames to make sure the film sprocket holes are correctly registered with the claw.

In the VIEW menu / TOOLBARS select which tool bars you want displayed, e.g. MAIN TOOLBAR, DEVICE BAR, EXPOSURE BAR, GAMMA & SHARPNESS BAR, WHITE BALANCE BAR.

1. Check and make sure "Activate External Trigger" is OFF

2. Check that "Live Display" is ON

3. On the DEVICE BAR FPS (frames per second) for our purposes, has no effect, so do not bother with it.

4. Set "Select Video Size" to a size where you see just the film frame without edges (1024 x 768) and set ZOOM as needed.

5. Under DEVICE menu select PROPERTIES / COLOR tab and make sure "White Balance" is set to AUTO, "White Balance Mode" is GRAY WORLD by default. It may not be necessary to touch color adjustments, Lower color saturation is better at this stage.

6. Under EXPOSURE tab "Auto Exposure" should be selected to get you within the ballpark and then switch "Auto Exposure" OFF and adjust manually, do not use "Auto Gain", by default both AUTO GAIN and EXPOSURE + AUTO MAX VALUE are active.

7. Under IMAGE tab set "Gamma" as required to brighten up dark shadows and cut down on overexposed whites.

8. Under the WDR tab (Wide Dynamic Range) by default AUTO is selected. Try out various settings to see the effects.

9. Nothing selected under the SPECIAL tab.

10. PARTIAL SCAN allows one to select the center point of the area of the film frame that is to be captured, it can be left on AUTO-CENTER or adjusted manually.

11. On the DEVICE BAR, (first bar at the top) to the right of the ZOOM option, POI (Point of Interest) can also be used to visually select an area to be captured (Icon - Small red square with magnifying glass).

12. Once happy with settings go to FILE / SAVE CONFIGURATION to backup your current configuration. One can save as many configurations as needed. Reload the saved configuration to ensure it was saved correctly.

Prepare to Capture film frame by frame:-

1. CAPTURE menu / SEQUENCE SETTINGS / "Filename and Target" tab choose the image save Target Directory, File Name and starting index number.

2. "File Type" tab choose image file type to be saved.

3. "Miscellaneous" tab leave at default, no selection required.

4. "Automated Sequence" tab set "Interval" to Zero minutes, Zero seconds and de-select all "Automatically End Sequence" options.

5. "Activate External Trigger" THIS IS IMPORTANT, otherwise multiple unusable random images are recorded when the timer is started. (Icon - _|-|_). When Trigger is activated a "Activating External Trigger" window will pop up, select the bottom option "Leave the property automations....."

6. CAPTURE menu / SEQUENCE TIMER / click the "Start Timer" button.

7. Start the Wolverine / Hawkeye scanner.

8. To turn OFF/STOP the scanner, turn the timer off, then turn off external trigger to get live view back.

Please get into the habit of:-
----------------------------
External trigger on, timer on.
Timer off, external trigger off.
----------------------------

[ November 05, 2019, 05:52 PM: Message edited by: Bruce Davis ]

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted November 05, 2019 09:47 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did mention that sometimes the IC software will freeze on startup if the camera is connected, so I always start IC capture without the camera connected.

When the prompt tells you there is no device, plug in the camera, give it a moment to appear in the device window, and job done. I should have put that in my IC post.

It also makes sense to reload the saved configuration, just so you know it's working and correct, before you begin scanning anything.

-----------------------------------------------------------
I am going to experiment with setting the timer to something ridiculous like one hour, so if I forget to activate the external trigger, as I often do, and start the timer first, the software won't suddenly capture a ton of stills before I realise my mistake.

The many images captured by mistake would be because the timer setting is set to zero, so off it goes, as fast as it can.

I hope that by setting it to 60 mins, for example, this little problem can be overcome.

As soon as scanning starts I watch the timer window to see that file names and images are being captured as I expect, so starting the timer, with a long time set, and not turning on the external trigger by mistake, would give room to stop things and re start, with the external trigger selected, before a pile of dead images are captured at zero time.

The external trigger obviously over rides and timer settings, so a long timer setting should do the trick, rather than zero time.

I hope that makes sense....

Bruce Davis
Film Handler

- posted November 05, 2019 05:46 PM      Profile for Bruce Davis   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike Spice thanks Mike for the corrections, I have edited the post, if there is anything else wrong please let me know.
Regards - Bruce

David Brown
Film Handler

- posted November 05, 2019 09:07 PM      Profile for David Brown   Email David Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Bruce

I love finding compilations!

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted November 07, 2019 10:20 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just tried out setting the timer to 60mins in the hope that by forgetting to set the external trigger, and starting the timer, IC software would not merrily snap away as fast as it could on a pile of useless stills.

It is annoying when I forget to start the external trigger before the timer, only solution, remember the order of mouse clicks!

It doesn't work.

It appears if any timer setting other than zero is set, it will over ride the external trigger.

Oh well, no matter. Worth a try.
--------------------------------------------------------------
In other news

I find that using a

resolution of 1280x960

partial scan area

X offset 888
Y offset 496

I can scan a super 8 frame with no sprocket hole or any LED light, so that's good.

Giving a 50ft reel a test run on auto exposure.

-

[ November 07, 2019, 03:58 PM: Message edited by: Mike Spice ]

Bruce Davis
Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2019 01:48 AM      Profile for Bruce Davis   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi to All I have done a comparison between a commercial frame by frame scanner (the Flash Scan 8 quite old by now) and the Wolverine/Hawkeye.

No matter what settings I change, for me it is not possible to reproduce the colour and contrast of the Flash Scan 8.

Examples below (very limited quality due to posting limitations):-
FlashScan8
 -

Hawkeye
 -

and now with the Video Fred Script applied to both:-
FlashScan8
 -

Hawkeye
 -

Regards - Bruce

David Brown
Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2019 09:50 AM      Profile for David Brown   Email David Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bruce
Too much contrast, but you might already know that. I see in Stan's "Wolverine custom camera kit" instructions, there are exposure controls in the IC capture software. Do you use the histogram to set the exposure or is this auto?

Bruce Davis
Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2019 06:39 PM      Profile for Bruce Davis   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David Brown CCD cameras (as far as I know) handle differences between light and dark much better than CMOS, but CMOS has been adapted because they are cheaper (thanks to Sony if I remember correctly). I think the CMOS camera used here has quality limitations.

On these sample hawkeye images, exposure was set on auto, white balance on auto, highlight reduction enabled (but does not seem to have an effect), WDR was off.

I have experimented with manual settings but in order to prevent blown-out whites or blown-out skies, the remainder overall image becomes very dark.

As an example to eliminate blown-out whites on the motor vehicle, exposure needs to be set on 1/333 sec, but on auto exposure to get a nice balance (with blown-out whites) the setting ends up at 1/74 sec. The contrast setting has its limitations, and does virtually nothing to eliminate blown-out whites.

I am not sure what can be done to improve the image contrast quality, I realise I am a novice, Mike seems to be having similar problems, look at his side by side comparison of the original Wolverine images compared to the current Hawkeye.

I am not sure what is meant to be done with viewing the histogram in IC Capture as adjustments made do not seem to have an effect on the above problem. Please let me know if I am wrong.

Thanks for your interest, regards - Bruce

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2019 08:39 AM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bruce, have you tried the gamma correction setting. The frame input to the sensor exceeds the sensor dynamic range. The workaround is to use a nonlinear sensor response (gamma). Looking at your pics I believe gamma would fix it. Try different gamma settings until you can get the whites and the blacks.
During post-processing the reverse gamma can be applied. Have not tried that.

With gamma increased the picture contrast will be reduced but in your case you have too much of it anyways.

David Brown
Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2019 12:54 PM      Profile for David Brown   Email David Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bruce The histogram can show you the range of light levels in a frame. It can give you feedback on the corrections you make. Even if using auto exposure settings, adjusting gamma or contrast can help. I don't have a working model to check the IC software for the Hawkeye yet.

I like these illustrations: https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/histograms1.htm

David Brown
Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2019 08:24 PM      Profile for David Brown   Email David Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still running your Wolverine's takeup into a box, but can't seem to keep your pet cat from leaping into the takeup box?

This might offer temporary relief! A slip clutch that works like a projector did, with no modifications to the Wolverine.

A super8 takeup reel, a paper clamp, a metal washer & a rubber washer cut from some cupboard liner, and a nylon standoff. Things I had in my drawer.

Ran a 50' reel and it worked fine, then thought I should put on a full load.
A 600' reel works as well as the 50'. The reel oscillates because I didn't remove the Wolverine's key from the 8mm takeup spindle. The nylon standoff bends to fit and causes the oscillation.

Note that I did not even use any of the pulleys after the gate. Extra note: the pulleys are Kamels's design but, one is only supported by a finishing nail while I wait for a new motor. The other is used as a storage place for the 8mm sprocket while using the super8.

https://flic.kr/p/2hJ21dF

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted November 11, 2019 08:18 AM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ran the histogram on both of your images Bruce:
 -

Looks like that you have too much exposure or gain and the black pixels are pushed up and possibly truncating the bright area.
What is the gain set to? Try reducing the gain and or exposure.

I tried to correct it by expanding the histogram in photoshop.
Also correcting the white balance by shifting it towards green.

Here is the result:
 -

One more note... After doing the correction, the trees look un-natural because the white details are missing I believe. No posprocessing can fix that. Reduced gain should fix that.

Here is the comparison between fred script and photoscop. Pretty close but my photoshop version has more natural looking grass... you be the judge.
 -

Here is the analysis of the white areas. Using photoshop curves I turned off anything that is not close to white. As you can see, hawkeye has all white shades saturated to 255.
The areas behind the trees should be darker white reducing the flare.
 -

-

Spent several hours comparing Wolverine and Hawkeye.
Observed that IC Capture auto white balance does not work very well with auto exposure. The auto white balance starts hunting and then settles for a value that overexposes the image if the auto exposure is turned on.
I used a test landscape and turned the auto white balance on. Then turned it off and tweaked the values until the sky is blue and the roof is red etc.
Set gamma to 80 to get the tree details out. With these settings, the image looks a bit washed out because the histogram is very low in the black area and needs to be fixed in post-processing.
Here is the comparison:
 -

Did some more postprocessing for the hawkeye image to enhance the dark shadows (photoshop curves). Pretty close now. The main advantage of Hawkeye is the lack of digital artifacts (less anyways)
 -

IC Capture settings:
Hue = 0
Saturation = 71
White Balance Auto = off
White Balance Mode = Gray World
White Balance Red = 172
White Balance Green = 113
White Balance Blue = 78
Color Enhancement = on
Brightness = 0
Contrast = 0
Gain = 4
Exposure = Auto
Auto Reference = 128
Highlight Reduction = Enable
Sharpness = 14
Gamma = 80
Denoise = 0
Auto Center = off
X offset = as required
Y offset = as required

Here is another find. With the white balance set to manual, tweak the autoexposure reference to reduce any overexposed areas. I set it to 109 for bright sky with a few clouds.
Now, another trick. If there are really dark shadows, reduce the gamma to say 48 and enable WDR and set it to auto. The dark shadows will jump out and show the details. Better than Wolverine...
 -

[ November 11, 2019, 11:17 PM: Message edited by: Stan Jelavic ]

David Brown
Film Handler

- posted November 11, 2019 11:27 PM      Profile for David Brown   Email David Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stan

I'm very excited to see where this goes. I'm not even going to bring up any other issues!

Bruce Davis
Film Handler

- posted November 11, 2019 11:39 PM      Profile for Bruce Davis   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@Stan Jelavic
Hi Stan, thanks for the reply, I gather your are back from your holidays, did not think using the posted images (due low quality) would provide accurate results, but your histograms look the same as the better quality images on photoshop.

The gain settings, I have always left on Manual and at (4), which is the minimum. Sometimes I use Auto Exposure and sometimes manual. Yes I have also noticed the exposure/white balance hunting, if WDR/auto is turned on and there is a considerable change with the film like zooming up really close to an object or person, there is a complete dramatic change in colour and it changes back when zooming back out.

To my eyes the Wolverine seems to do a better overall job with the image, Hawkeye also produces a lot of graininess, not sure if its noise (can be reduced in post processing).

Gamma is normally set to 85 (default is 100), as it is reduced the image becomes lighter with less contrast and looks washed out, similar to reducing contrast.

I find all these settings to be time consuming and complex, they need to be adjusted with each scene change.

As mentioned above "to eliminate blown-out whites on the motor vehicle, exposure needs to be set on 1/333 sec, but on auto exposure to get a nice overall balance (with blown-out whites) the setting ends up at 1/74 sec."

Not sure what to do from here on, if the film images do not have too much dark and light, Hawkeye can do a good job, but in most cases there is always a bright sky to contend with.

Regards - Bruce

All times are Central
This topic comprises 56 pages: 1  2  3  ...  47  48  49  50  51  52  53  54  55  56 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC