8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » NOT SHIPPING OVERSEAS ???? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: NOT SHIPPING OVERSEAS ????
Thomas Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted April 22, 2013 06:00 AM      Profile for Thomas Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all is it my imagination or am I correct
That recently all sales adds the seller's are
Not shipping outside of there own country
I thought this was an international forum site
Any comments

--------------------
t.smith

|  IP: Logged

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 22, 2013 06:25 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, Thomas, lately there's been alot of "USA only" sales, which is sad for those of us across the pond. This had become an issue on forums, ebay and everywhere, fewer and fewer sellers ship abroad...

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted April 22, 2013 11:24 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I have found that if you contact the seller, they will invariably
ship to you, and that includes folks in the USA, Germany, France
& Italy, even though they have ship in their own country in the
ebay ad.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted April 22, 2013 11:33 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have found the same thing. That is done to protect the seller.

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 22, 2013 11:56 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Hugh, in the case of eBay this is usually true, but I have also seen a rising trend of "US only" on the forums (both this, the other unmentionable one, Dan Lails forum and the Urbanski 16mm forum), and these cases are usually final.

A real shame to be honest, because it means that those of us "unfortunate" enough to live in Europe have to pass on many fine prints.

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 22, 2013 12:07 PM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

there are two problems:
a) Shipping costs: In the USA the shipping costs to Europe, ... drastically increased over the last years. And in most European countries there once were these three shipping-cost-areas: "own country", "Europe" and "Rest of world". Now there are only "own country" and "Rest of world". Hence it's now too costly to ship outside your own country.
b) New eBay-rules: If I don't accept "paypal", I'm not allowed to ship to Australia, France, UK, ... any more. However due to the paypal's fees it's absurd to use it. (E.g. I just sold an item to a guy in Portugal for 45 EUR + 16 EUR shipping. That's approx. 4.50 EUR ebay-fees. If I would have accepted paypal, I would have lost another 1.51 EUR. (or even more if the buyer is located outside the EUR-zone, e.g. UK = 2.73 EUR; Australia = 3.52 EUR... so I might have ended up paying nearly 10 EUR fees for both ebay and paypal!)

Not to mention that I would have to fill out all those custom-regulations-forms when shipping to a place outside the EU.

Jörg

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted April 22, 2013 01:30 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guys,

If you want to complain about that, address that directly to Ebay. It is ebay who makes everything to beocme more difficult:

1. Ebay, apart from the final value fee, is now also taking the final shipping fee (10%). This becomes worst after what Joerg mentioned above, the paypal fee would also apply to money sent for shipping (5%). Now for me who is always being honest with the shipping cost by putting a shipping calculator from the Post Office must increase 30% from whatever appears on the calculator (ps: because 15% VAT also does not appear on calculator) . So if calculator gives $40 I have actually need $52 to avoid I am loosing money because of shipping to overseas. One or two buyers say I am cheating. Man...! :-(

2. Ebay says there is a "buyer protection" which actually is translated as holding seller's money for whatever the buyer's reason. Sending overseas is always expensive even for non-traceable ones. Once the item is not delievered, buyer can easily report to Ebay and Ebay will hold our money and can return the money without sellers' concern. If item is sent with non-traceable one, item may have actualy been delivered but a naught buyer say no. And Ebay still gives a favor always to buyer. This also can be done through chargeback feature using CC company.

3. Now if it is about selling in the forum, the owner of this forum only rules about using English as the language and nothing to do with international sales. Moreover if buyer pays via paypal, seller can still experience no 2 above using paypal complain form or CC chargeback feature.

I am still selling overseas although the above mentioned condition but don't force anyone to do that. It is fully the seller's right.

--------------------
Winbert

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted April 22, 2013 01:40 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, however overseas shipping, whether Sterling or not - Practically equal to third of the item being purchased - Rather pay with cash (you can convert it for a fee of course), many Int'l Money Orders are NOt being accepted nor offered, which further holds back potential sales/trades - I long perfer the "live" show, whether here or abroad, for plain speaking and clear understanding - I should make more effort to fly over, but work and such make it more effortless, so we all have to do our best with each other in shipping and handling - Shorty

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted April 22, 2013 03:25 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
The plain fact is Shorty, is that there are so many middle men
involved with their extra charges, that it does tend to spoil a
straight forward sale.Winbert made a point some weeks ago of
dishonest buyers, and that does reflect on everyone.

Thomas Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted April 22, 2013 05:34 PM      Profile for Thomas Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all I was not referring to eBay when
I started this topic I was referring to
Sellers on forum not shipping overseas
I personally would not post a film for
Sale here unless I was willing to ship
Outside of the uk

--------------------
t.smith

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted April 22, 2013 05:57 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas, if you are not referring to Ebay than my no. 3 applies that there is no such rule here to restrict member selling for local buyer only.

quote:
I personally would not post a film for
Sale here unless I was willing to ship Outside of the UK

Btw, do you really want to ship a film to Indonesia that will cost GBP 21 for a 200' reel with a risk you can be chargebacked (your money is held and returned to buyer) if the film is not delivered?

--------------------
Winbert

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted April 22, 2013 05:58 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second that Thomas, I'll ship to whoever wants it.

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 22, 2013 05:58 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll take "Shipping Overseas" if still available... J/K.

Shouldn't this thread be on the 8mm Forum or General Yak? [Big Grin]

My 2¢ on this is that a seller should reserve the right to refuse service but, there is no harm in buyer asking politely for service.

My guess is that some folks say U.S. only because they think it is "easier" and that the international sales are a bit more work. The work being; filling out a international shipping label from the post office or printing a shipping label from an invoice through paypal.

Through using the invoice method in paypal, if you don't have the software installed on your computer to print the forms, you may have to get a refund on your shipping label, which takes a couple weeks to get back. When using the paying goods option, it usually works fine, from my end, I've never encountered a problem.

If the seller wants a money order, there are several delays there, both to receive payment and to send out the item. The seller does not have USPS labels, has to go into the P.O., doesn't know how to weigh the item and then use the pricing calculator, how much to charge, etc.. There are a lot of factors there that could be perceived as confusing.

Either way, if you ask politely and explain the costs and shipping methods in a manner that is not confusing to the seller, something may come of this...

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

Greg Marshall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 22, 2013 07:19 PM      Profile for Greg Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I listed some titles just yesterday, with US shipping, so I'm quite certain this post is directed toward me. Let me say, this is my choice. I nearly got burned last summer selling my Scope print of Romancing The Stone to a guy in Greece. What a friggin' nightmare! It is NOT worth my time and headache, so I can make this choice. Now, if there is something that you may be interested in, I'd be happy to entertain the offer. HOWEVER, I will NOT be responsible for a lost shipment, or a shipment that is at the mercy of the overseas postal service of that particular country.

Thanks!

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted April 22, 2013 07:37 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
There's also the other side of the coin Greg, where films are paid
for but not sent, and reminders are useless against promises
that are not kept and weeks turn into months.This subject was
raised last year, and the buyer was the "bad guy", I notioned
that this was not always the case,but was told that not everyone
had time to go to post offices etc, they had lives to lead.I have
since been proved right, as my appeals in the 16mm section will
show. Some people should never advertise films they have no intention of shipping.

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted April 22, 2013 07:53 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can see both sides of this coin. Recently I sold a feature print to a person in Spain. The item took 4 weeks to get there and the buyer kept emailing me asking me where it was. It was stuck in customs. But finally it arrived. I work in a place with a shipping dept. so I don't mind shipping overseas. And better Ebay bids that way. [Smile]

Greg Marshall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 22, 2013 08:13 PM      Profile for Greg Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I get that, Hugh..... many members here know me, and I'm 100% honest. On Ebay, 100% positive feedback. Like I said, I'll entertain it, but the buyer's going to have to accept some risk of the postal service, or buy insurance.

Alan, it may have been Spain I shipped to, not Greece, can't recall... the print was stuck in Customs of THAT country... they were being unreasonable on the buyer proving who he was, and would not release the package... after sending every document of me shipping it, they finally released it.... 6 weeks later. Ebay would not assist me, and of course the USPS wouldn't.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 23, 2013 01:03 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, it appears that paypal takes a bigger chunk out of overseas paypals. I really hate to do it, but I add into my overseas sales, the amount that paypal will take out of the payment before it gets to me, so that I still have just enough to ship the film without it cutting into the actual selling price ...

(which, as has been mentioned, ebay is already digging into, but then, you, as a seller, must take that into account when you first list it ... list it that much higher than what you want to cover the ebay bite) ...

That 2010 I just sold is bei9ng shipped to South Korea. I added ten dollars to the shipping price and sure enough, 9.64 cents were immediately taken out of the paypal before it got to me, leaving only 36 cents above what I needed for shipping.

I had forgotten about that blasted 10 per cent charge that ebay takes from the freaking shipping ... bloody gits!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted April 23, 2013 03:09 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I sometimes wonder it could be worth the risk of dealing outside ebay, they do tend to push their luck.

Alex Goedert
Junior

- posted April 24, 2013 03:12 AM      Profile for Alex Goedert   Email Alex Goedert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, just adding my 2 cents worth...

Up to now, i've dealt with people on this and other forums as well as on eBay; i've paid fro films with credit card, PayPal or wire transfer; i've bought from the usual retailers from the US, UK, France and Belgium; i've bought films from France, Belgium, The Netherlands, Germany, England, Italy, Greece, New Zealand, Australia, the United States and Canada; the films were either shipped directly to my adress or to parcel stations in the US, UK, Germany or France - and with all of the above, i've never, EVER had a problem!
True, some films took longer to reach their destination than others, but most of them were quite quick to reach me (always between 3 days and two weeks). Once a parcel got blocked for a week or two at the german customs office but that's about it.

I'd like to add that, living in Luxembourg, buying films from foreign sellers is the ONLY way i could ever lay my hands on certain copies. With a population of roughly 500.000 and two known collectors (that's including myself!), i'm quite thankful to everyone considering to sell abroad as there's not much of a market around here! :-)

Alex

Oscar Iniesta
Master Film Handler

- posted April 24, 2013 08:33 AM      Profile for Oscar Iniesta   Email Oscar Iniesta   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have found this problem many times, because I have bought 99% of my collection from UK, USA, Germany, France and Italy. A lot of people believe it is a problem to ship abroad. Here in Europe (EU) is easy, because we don´t have taxes. So I enjoy buying my english films, and receiving them at my mailbox even the same week.
I have to say, that english shipping cost is higher than german couriers. But I don´t find the Paypal option on german ebayers and I hate bank transfers.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted April 24, 2013 01:09 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone read the article in a recent paper here in the UK about the sneaky change in the way post is now priced here in the Uk to within the UK and abroad? Due to the amount of work they get via ebay they decided it doesnt make enough money and takes too much of the counter staffs time, therefore (as i found out on a recent trip to the post office) all the prices have gone up again and parcels that use to cost around £2-£3 are now almost £6 and so on.
Strange isnt it, i thought the fact they were so busy in a recession would have been good news, in a way i can see a part of what they are saying, two weeks ago when i went to post a simple small package i had to wait almost half an hour due to the bloke in front of me having no less than two sackfulls,(i do mean black bin liners full) of packages of differing sizes, all quite small so there were loads of them and each one had to be weighed and small forms for insuranses filled out, WHAT A DICK BRAIN, but hey, thats the postal service. [Confused]
Its this buisness the PO are now trying to off load and price out as this guy took away enough time for many other customers to have been served.
It use to be the pensioners on a Monday [Big Grin] [Wink]

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted April 24, 2013 07:16 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I prepared everything at home. I weighed my items with a digital scale, find the shipping cost through the Canada post website, fill the export declaration form, put tha "Air Mail" sticker then bring them to post office.

In the beginning the counter lady still weighted the packages but now she does not care anymore knowing that I always put the dorrect cost. She only stamps the receipt and 10 packages can be sent in leas than a minute. Everybody happy!

What is happening in Royal Mail is similar with the USPS that they see the later increasing work load as a burden instead of happiness. This is due to the government employee's mentality is still taking place i.e that no matter they sit down without work or full of load, they still get the same pay.

What happen in Germany can be a model that the Deutch Post was taken over by DHL so they work as good as and as efficient as a private company.

No wonder like Oscar says above that shipping from Germany is cheap. See its website (www.dhl.de) that to send a 2 kg package to US with insurance up to EUR 500 and tracking is only EUR 16.90. No other company can beat this.

USPS must be bought by FedEx and Royal Mail by Hermes to make it more efficient!

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted April 24, 2013 08:09 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hermes, I found out, have no distribution stations in the UK,they
actually use forecourt garage stations as depots.I bought a film
from a UK seller a couple of weeks ago that took six days to get to me as they use private cars to carry goods.The delivery companies in the UK, COULD NOT function without the infrastructure of the
Royal Mail. So if you don't mind, we'll keep our Postal system and
the private carriers can fight amongst themselves.A parcel sent
through our post takes 48 hours inland,std price or for extra payment 24. The service on private delivery is non existant if
you miss a drop, especially if you try to contact them online.One
of the problems we have in our postal system, is that we employ
too many non nationals that can neither speak or read our language, as was revealed on a Channel 4 documentary where
Somalies were dumping mail in alleys or abandoning cart loads
in the road side.Government interference again.
So thanks, but no thanks Winbert we'll stay with Royal Mail, the
best service in the world.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted April 24, 2013 09:50 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hugh

I recently spent 2 weeks in England visiting my wifes relatives in Kent. I purchased 3 films from different UK sellers. I was amazed to see them arrive the next day! One was mailed from CHC in the PM and I had it by 11AM nest morning at my relatives house where I was staying. That is outstanding service.

PatD

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC