8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » Happening All Over Again! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Happening All Over Again!
Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 22, 2015 06:34 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a feeling that the high prices may be due to these NOT being the Special editions. Star Wars fans always complain about not having high quality copies of the originals - even that the DVDs use Laser disc transfers not new ones!

|  IP: Logged

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted March 22, 2015 07:52 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well they pop up on a regualr basis on and off ebay. Plenty of them sold and collector numbers are dwindling.

There must be a point things level off and get realistic.

I now a chap from the states sold his copy to a forum member not so long ago for $150.

Best Mark.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 22, 2015 08:50 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I now a chap from the states sold his copy to a forum member not so long ago for $150.
Yes I know him too Mark...because the print is with me now [Big Grin] along with (F/L) King Kong, 3 L&H, French Connection, 007, 3 Hitchcoks + Scope lens & Bracket....

I never owned F/L until this offer came. I guessed they will stay with me "'till death do us part"... [Big Grin]

After getting these F/Ls, I did buy some Derann F/Ls but to be honest (God, please forgive my sin), I rarely watch them but DVD instead, since watching F/L needs extra effort for the preparation while my kids do not have that patience.

I keep them just to be at the same league with you guys... [Cool] .... that is also the reason of owning 2 GS1200 and 2 GS800 while I am using ST-1200 now or even Chinon 330MV... [Razz]

--------------------
Winbert

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 22, 2015 11:28 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does F/L means Full Lenght ? What kind of "extra preparation" does that need ?

--------------------
Dominique

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 23, 2015 12:03 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dom,

Kids just like everything quick. For showing an F/L (yes it means Full Length), I have to clean the films (make sure no scratch), adjust the lens, preparing the scope lens (if it is scope print), changing the reels etc...

Kids don't like this stuff.... [Big Grin]

--------------------
Winbert

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 23, 2015 01:44 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, you mean that they ask you to Watch a specific film and they want that at once [Smile] Otherwise, it is the same preparation to project a short than a feature. Maybe (depending of the age of the kids of course) you could involve them : one winds the film while you clean it, another helps you cleaning the projector, the other one tells you ok or not when you adjust the scope lens and so on.

--------------------
Dominique

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 23, 2015 02:07 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My sons are 8 and 10, not that old enough to touch my toys.. [Big Grin]

Although they want something instant, one of them has made a statement who was going to keep my collection in the future. The other boy said to keep my train collection. I was left with my LPs collection... [Wink]

The other thing that I cannot enjoy fully when projecting films with my kids that I have to divide my concentration between film, the kids and projectors.

I wish I would have a dedicated projectionist at home.... [Razz] (labor is cheap here...)

--------------------
Winbert

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 23, 2015 07:03 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The one who said he would carry on your film collection deserves an extra part of dessert tonight !

--------------------
Dominique

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 23, 2015 09:00 AM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terminator 2, the Derann print. Now making a bid for Star Wars prices:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Terminator-II-Derann -Super-8-complete-feature-/141613816357?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item20f8d75a25

I have a print of this. Very enjoyable but not perfect. There are a number of printed-in faults like orange flashes and a 'bubbling' effect sometimes. The stripe is grey and the mono sound is very low level. I paid under £300. Were there better prints or were they all like this and do members think it would take a stereo re-record?

[ March 23, 2015, 11:30 AM: Message edited by: Steven J Kirk ]

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted March 23, 2015 11:02 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember seeing the Star Wars print for sale for $400 when it was new and it was on the LA Films list in the 80's. I use to think that was such a high amount. And then it was on a few lists going for around $250-400 Used in the late 90's to 2000's. Then Derann closed and then all film prices started going crazy.
I blame Derann's demise for such high prices. [Smile]
But then again they printed up all the great Disney's so I thank them too. [Smile]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 23, 2015 05:33 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Steven, the grey stripe is extremely hit and miss when it comes to re recording on it. Proceed with caution if you do decide to do it on such a valued print as this.

Try a few different trials on your leaders and tails first, this should give you a good understanding of whether or not you feel a decent recording can be achieved. It will never match what you could expect doing the same on brown striped prints and if you did go ahead and try, then I would try and perfect in one run if at all possible.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 23, 2015 10:07 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steven-I had a print that Lance re-recorded and it turned out great. It had the grey stripe. Sold it for far less than what that's going for.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 24, 2015 12:45 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Good News Larry! Steven should have a very good chance then all being well. [Smile]

--------------------

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 24, 2015 08:27 AM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that on Terminator 2. I will proceed with caution. I am going to get the capacitors done on one machine and make it the recording machine. But that is not something to undertake myself so it will take a while.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

David Watson
Film Handler

- posted March 25, 2015 03:19 PM      Profile for David Watson   Email David Watson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WOW! over a thousand pounds for a copy of Star Wars,
I have one of the ten prints of 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind'
special edition full length feature in scope that Derann managed to
print before it was quickly withdrawn because copyright of copyright
complications...I wonder how much I could get for that ?

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 25, 2015 04:13 PM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think what we've got to remember is that Star Wars not only appeals to the super 8 collector but also to its massive fan base. I am sure some of these prints get snapped up by fans who don't even have projectors but love the idea of possessing a film copy of it in their collections.

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 25, 2015 04:32 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, if you put close encounters on Ebay, with a reserve( if you want to sell it that is), I would be surprised if it didn't reach that figure, and more. One did sell on the forum some time back for around £900.00 - £1000.00, that was a fixed price, it didn't take long to sell it. I would definitely bid on it, for sure.

Phillip R Campey
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 25, 2015 04:50 PM      Profile for Phillip R Campey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem is with these stupid prices is that you would not dare run it through your projector for fear it would get damaged. Where is the fun in that, I love watching my films on super 8, it takes me back to my childhood. I used to love inviting my friends round and watch a few films. Now with digital it is effortless and disposable and not eventful at all. Sorry for rambling but I just love film.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted March 25, 2015 06:00 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the slightly dodgey even holey as the bumps get taken off grey Derann stripe its like a long run of grinding/snad paper on your sound heads as has been said before, a lot of the disneys are on it as well.

You really need to keep any of these filmgaurded up and never let them anywhere near to a Eumig soundhead.

Best Mark.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 25, 2015 08:00 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
....you would not dare run it through your projector for fear it would get damaged. Where is the fun in that,
Phillip...the same hype also is happening with vinyl collecting scene. The new kids on the vinyl collector gang just buy vinyl for the sake of having it not to play it. So many times I found they proud saying that their vinyls were still sealed!

There is no fun in that!

I collect super 8mm films, vinyls and train models. I played them a lot because I knew I would not bring them to my grave when I died.

--------------------
Winbert

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 26, 2015 04:00 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, you say a lot of the Disney Derann prints are with the grey stripe. Out of the 17 I have,if you include the two repeated titles I have, only one is printed on grey pasted stripe stock. All of the other 16 are on either laminated brown stock or one or two brown pasted stock.

What proportion of the Disney prints would say are on the grey pasted stock would you say as it would appear from this that I have been very unusually very lucky somehow?

It would be really interesting to see what others have out there and what type of stripe theirs are on.

The Disney's for the most part when initially released were in the era of when Derann did still use a lot of Kodak or Agfa laminated stock still as it was still readily available in 93 to around 98 if memory serves me correctly.

--------------------

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted March 26, 2015 06:47 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Andrew its luck of the draw Ive heard of a lot of the disneys with the duff stripe.

At first when they were trying thoer best with it you often got very lumpy stripe, these would get knocked off by your heads and so you then had a holey stripe main or balance.

It improved alot but each batch varied abit right up until the end, often you`ll gert one the blance stripe comes and goes, or the main gets thinner and widder even in to the picture area.

Even the stripe thats pretty OK sometimes if you look closely you can see how uneven it is still.

It was a bit the same as the printing once the labs let the super 8 chap go, it varied greatly in the last 8 years or so, more towards the end.

The colour and great negs on the disneys mask the blueiness well but a lot of stuff in the later years as you`

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted March 26, 2015 06:55 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Andrew its luck of the draw I`ve heard of a lot of the disneys with the duff stripe and sound issues.

At first when they were trying their best with it you often got very lumpy stripe, these would get knocked off by your heads and so you then had a holey stripe main or balance.

It improved quite a lot but each batch varied a bit right up until the end, often you`ll get one the blance stripe comes and goes, or the main gets thinner and widder even in to the picture area.Also thinker and thinner depth wise.

Even some of the stripe that looks pretty OK sometimes if you look closely you can see how uneven/lumpy it is still.

It was a bit the same as the printing once the labs let the super 8 chap go, it varied greatly in the last 8 years or so, more towards the end.

The colour and great negs of the disneys mask the blueiness well but a lot of stuff in the later years as you`ll know where very that way, but still nice and sharp usually, though each printing batch varied.

I found odd batches were quite grainey to.

The poly kodak used from about the end of 2003 is also a lot more unsteady running as well, sometimes it also suffered from warping as well, especially if too tight would when new and if not 1st run for a good while.It could go a bit sticky.

But any films from that era, you need to check the picture but also the stripe.

When you get a rough stripe print they are at your heads like no ones business.

Best Mark.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 27, 2015 11:53 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I think perhaps you may have just overlooked my point slightly on this one Mark, which was to say, that the vast overwhelming majority of Disney Derann prints that I have so far are on Brown Laminated stock, not pasted stock, be it grey or brown.

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC