8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » What 16mm films did you see today? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 25 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  23  24  25 

Author Topic: What 16mm films did you see today?
Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted February 13, 2014 04:30 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Viewed my new Gremlins print ... Not 16mm though
 -

-

-

-

-

-

-

Lovely, charming and so 80's ... Simply love the 80's. And Phoebe Cates, not an ugly woman :-)

|  IP: Logged

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted February 15, 2014 04:32 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw a free trailer I got and a cheap Eastwood in B&W (of color, is that what you call it?)
Kelly's Heroes, scope feature
 -

-

-

-

-

The Magnificent Seven, a trailer of red :-) But free, so I ain't complaining
 -

-

-

Will try this with a blue filter later on ... Sure it will help some

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted February 24, 2014 09:56 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw two features yesterday in my club.

Started with Animal House
 -

-

-

-

The Day of the Jackal
 -

-

-

-

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted February 24, 2014 02:51 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vidar,

Regarding GREMLINS, is this a 35mm print.
Looks great.

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted February 24, 2014 03:16 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it's a 35mm print and has amazing colors. Close to perfect, except the problem that is't flat 1.85:1 on all reels except reel 5 which is 2.35:1 flat

Weird, I thought it was filmed in 1.85:1, but see the Blu-Ray rips online states 2.35:1 too

Flavio Stabile
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 27, 2014 05:40 AM      Profile for Flavio Stabile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Vidar,

indeed IMDB says the film was shooted (apect ratio) at 1.85:1

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087363/technical?ref_=tt_dt_spec

Where did you read about 2.35:1?

Flavio

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted February 27, 2014 09:15 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Search google for Gremlins 2.35:1 and the "pirated" Blu-Rays states 2.35:1 as original aspect ratio

Flavio Stabile
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 28, 2014 03:34 PM      Profile for Flavio Stabile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's clealry a mistake as you can easily see also on AMAZON

http://www.amazon.com/Gremlins-Blu-ray-Zach-Galligan/dp/B001AQT0UY

and I hope you are happy to know your 35mm is a really original copy with great fantastic colors!

Don't you agree??? [Big Grin]

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted February 28, 2014 06:38 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love it, except the part that reel 5 is still 2.35:1 and the rest is 1.85:1 :-)

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted March 03, 2014 04:33 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw some cheap shorts
Norsk Historie (Norwegian History) with archival footage
 -

Ivo Caprino's movie to promote Oslo with the Oslo Viking
 -

Puddy Søker Venskap (Puddy Seeks Friendship), silent
 -

Babes in Sportsland, silent
 -

Sons of the Desert, cut down
 -

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted March 05, 2014 03:08 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We saw a Marty Feldman film today. In God We Trust, 16mm and a bit funny, nice actors like Peter Boyle and Richard Pryor too
 -

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

Mike Williamson
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2014 12:00 AM      Profile for Mike Williamson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are any of those Gremlins pics from R5?

Gremlins was absolutely not shot in scope. It's was shot flat, open matte, except some scenes were filmed hard matte with a 1:66 aspect ratio.

I'd like to see pics of R5 to see what you're interpreting as scope.

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted March 08, 2014 01:58 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not scope, it's matted (or is it called letterboxed?) to 2.35:1

Come to think of it, the 16mm print I borrowed also had different sections in different formats

I'll try to take a shot or something of the screen running the two different reels, when I get the time

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2014 10:24 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My copy of 'The Dirty Dozen' on super 8 is mainly full screen, but a couple of sections are masked down. Not to scope though.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted March 08, 2014 12:12 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We Are No Angels (Noi Non Siamo Angeli) from 1975 and scope 16mm feature.
 -

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted March 09, 2014 05:05 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Showing number 22 in the club started with a 16mm feature
Monty Python Live at the Hollywood Bowl
 -

-

-

Olympics for people with poor directional sense :-)
 -

-

Department of Silly Walks
 -

Nudge, nudge ... Say no more
 -

The Lumberjack song
 -

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted March 23, 2014 04:46 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some worn, water damaged and B&W of color scope print of Monte Walsh, starring Lee Marvin and Jack Palance
 -

A Canadian artsy film called Dans La Vie and is some 6+ minutes
 -

The Play ... About two childrens drawings coming to life, also 6+ minutes
 -

Some film that didn't have a title at all, so if anyone knows what it's called, please let me know ... About a pencil and eraser
 -

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted March 24, 2014 11:42 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two 16mm films from our show last night. First one here is a film by Ivo Caprino and is some sort of promotion for Oslo. Very red, even with blue filter. Runs some 15+ minutes
 -

And we saw a nice, funny feature called Reuben, Reuben with a very good Tom Conti and a young Kelly McGillis. Paid a whopping 20 GBP for it
 -

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted March 28, 2014 02:46 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got a really cheap western on the last meeting

The Moment to Kill, scope, 35mm ... Paid a whopping 10 GBP for it
 -

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

Robin Jansen
Junior

- posted March 29, 2014 03:33 PM      Profile for Robin Jansen   Email Robin Jansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watched the same movie twice. Once alone and once with my mother. Verzet in Duitsland.

Thanks to a trip to Amsterdam I got the lamp I needed to get my b&h up and running again.

--------------------
Regards,

Robin.

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted March 29, 2014 04:43 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw Tarzan and the She-Devil today. A few light stripes and some splices, but overall good value for 20 GBP

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

Robin Jansen
Junior

- posted March 31, 2014 03:41 PM      Profile for Robin Jansen   Email Robin Jansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched two movies today. The documantary and die forelle (the trout) to test my homemade screen. Special thanks to Osi for providing a building description.

--------------------
Regards,

Robin.

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted March 31, 2014 04:31 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From the Gremlins issue I had before, where reel 5 is different aspect ratio than the rest ... Here's some pictures

From reel 4
 -

Reel 5
 -

Reel 6
 -

And here I pasted directly the screen from reel 5 onto reel 6
 -

Clearly not the same ratio in my eyes anyways

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 31, 2014 05:12 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vidar, have you seen the 8mm version of 'Gremlins'?
The S8mm 2 X 600ft edition is full frame except for the sequence in Dorry's Bar which is masked to widescreen (not scope format).

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted March 31, 2014 06:45 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have not seen that, but I've borrowed the 16mm print once and it had some differences too, but not in the same places. The 16mm had some masked sequences when the mother is fighting the gremlins in the kitchen among other sequences.

Does that mean it was shown like that in the cinemas? I can not remember noticing that in the 80's when I saw it, but it's quite some time ago

All times are Central
This topic comprises 25 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  23  24  25 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC