8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Coronation Street on 16mm

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Coronation Street on 16mm
Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 13, 2015 05:18 AM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all, lucky me to have recently won on 16mm film episode 52 from 1961 , B/W obviously [Smile] it is complete with opening and closing credits and "end of part one" and "part two" titles.great picture and sound from the 1960's.Purchased here in New Zealand and I've never seen these for sale anywhere? Am I right?
Cheers [Smile]

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted June 13, 2015 05:27 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow that is a find Clinton! Couldn't be further away from its origins if it tried! Lol. I wonder if Granada TV studios know this one is at large?

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Nigel Higgins
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 13, 2015 05:35 AM      Profile for Nigel Higgins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of these sold on ebay uk only last week was said to be a colour episode ,i also saw someone selling a whole load at blackpool some 20 years ago ,but these are a rare find if cornation street films are your thing.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted June 13, 2015 05:49 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
So I suppose there must be plenty of these that escaped the vaults of the tv studios then.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 13, 2015 06:00 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done Clinton, an episode from the classic years of Ena Sharples, Annie Walker, Len Fairclough, and Elsie Tanner. I haven't seen any ITV material surface in England. What I have seen (Roger Moore as Ivanhoe, Boris Karloff as Colonel March, and Richard Green as Robin Hood) have all been copies that were sent to American TV studios.

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 13, 2015 06:13 AM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A film friend told me that they were sent to New Zealand on 16mm to be screened on NZBC (N.Z. Broadcasting Corporation) in each region before we had network television!
It has all those characters except Ena Sharples,it has Ken Barlow and his brother and his parents. I may have one of the few that weren't returned to the U.K. or disposed off?

Nigel do you remember what the episode on eBay sold for last week?
I paid
NZ$41 for my film , that's about £20

--------------------

Nigel Higgins
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 13, 2015 08:04 AM      Profile for Nigel Higgins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes it went for £41 plus postage ,said was color slight musty/vinegar smell untested ,so someone took the chance
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161722127643?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

Clive Carmock
Film Handler

- posted June 13, 2015 02:05 PM      Profile for Clive Carmock   Email Clive Carmock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was me that bought that episode. It arrived today and have just run it. It dates from 1977. It's suffering from VS The opening 'chalkboard' and countdown clock is quite warped and distorted, but the rest runs reasonably well with some focus drift.

Sadly it is completed faded to red/brown with the exception of some green in places.

Was interested to get a piece of TV history on film.

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 13, 2015 05:19 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Clive ... that's 2 of us that I know of that have Coro on 16mm film!
That's the beauty of B/W I suppose - no colour fade - but I would've bought a colour one just to have a piece of Tele history , as you said.

--------------------

Clive Carmock
Film Handler

- posted June 14, 2015 08:35 AM      Profile for Clive Carmock   Email Clive Carmock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes in some ways it might have been better if it was a B&W print. But even so getting some UK TV on 16mm is good.

I have a few episode of Minder, an Episode of the 1970's Tomorrow People and an episode of 1970's Famous Five on 16mm.
The Minders & Famous Five are in good condition with good colour, but the Tomorrow People is faded to pink like the Coronation Street.

First 16mm print I have that suffers VS too - so will keep it well aired and away from other prints.

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 14, 2015 05:55 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have 3 half shows one in black and white and 2 in colour of coronation st all nice prints would swop for a feature called holiday camp stars jack warner

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 15, 2015 03:14 AM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi David, lucky you with 3 episodes! Does the b/w episode have Ena Sharples in it? Mine has most of the original characters except Ena [Frown]

--------------------

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 15, 2015 04:55 AM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes ena sharples Minnie Caldwell albert tatlock and a few more
the colour one has hilda ogden in where her and stan are celebrating their wedding anniversary

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 27, 2015 02:51 PM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Telerecordings (aka Kinescopes) of UK TV shows are not particularly common -- but they are around (especially in Australia and New Zealand) The holy grail shows, of course, are things like "Dr. Who", "Out of the Unknown" or "Adam Adamant Lives!" (to name a few).

Clive Carmock
Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2015 06:36 PM      Profile for Clive Carmock   Email Clive Carmock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have several episodes of Minder, not telerecordings, as these were shot on 16mm. Also a single episode of the Southern TV Series the Famous Five, one episode of the Tomorrow People, and one Follyfoot.

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 05, 2015 12:03 AM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would love a copy of The Tomorrow People ... I remember watching it as a kid [Smile]

--------------------

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 09, 2015 09:22 AM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a bunch of Tomrrow People episodes years ago -but sold them all - they were from Australia, I believe. They had been run a lot (worn, splicey) and the color was pretty badly faded.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC