8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Hammer appeals for lost film footage

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hammer appeals for lost film footage
Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2012 12:40 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hammer studios has issued a public appeal to track down lost scenes that were cut from its films by censors.

CLICK HERE for more from BBC News

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

|  IP: Logged

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted March 08, 2012 03:49 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done Gerald on spotting that one.Someone did quite recently
discover an uncensored print of Hammer's "Dracula"("Horror of
Dracula") in Japan of which there will be a full report in the
excellent mag "Little Shoppe of Horrors".What gives me great
amusement is when the professionals come "cap in hand" to the
film collector when they need help, any other time they threaten
to smash down the door if you have anything you're not supposed
to have.I only wish I had those clips, would I make them pay.

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2012 04:41 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hugh, you have given the article a nice twist [Big Grin] . I agree with you. You'd make them pay; now me, I might do something different.

You see, I have never understood why a feature like Invasion of the Body Snatchers isn't in the public domain yet. Everyone associated with the making of the feature is probably in another world now. Why should their successors be the ones to profit from the work of their predecessors? Why not you? Me? Or, you and I could hold a screening of the film on Super 8 or 16mm for $1 per person and donate all the money raised to a charity? So, I'd probably negotiate that every film in the world fall into the public domain after 10 years, or 15 or 20, i.e., some small reasonable number of years. This will mean that the world over, anyone could screen a great feature and anyone could watch it. More people will get to enjoy great works in cinema then.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted March 08, 2012 05:13 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You see, I have never understood why a feature like Invasion of the Body Snatchers isn't in the public domain yet. Everyone associated with the making of the feature is probably in another world now. Why should their successors be the ones to profit from the work of their predecessors?
I presume you're joking?

Hugh,
If you had those clips they would probably ask politely that you give them back [Big Grin]
I'm not sure they would be thinking about paying you for them.

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2012 06:20 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, Michael. I am serious. Of course, I risk sounding stupid but I'd rather be corrected today than a few years from now. So, correct me.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted March 08, 2012 06:59 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,I am quite sure they would do all the things I would
expect them to do,but possession is 99% and any transactions
would be done in cash,otherwise no deal.If there was any sign
of legal action then the clips would be "lost forever,like tears in
the rain"and I would deny all knowledge of them.It worked for
Roddy McDowall with his clips of Flynns "William Tell",just the
other way about.

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2012 07:28 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to remember that Brian Hendel sold a super 8mm print of Curse of Frankenstein that had one of the censored scenes they speak of. Maybe Derann acquired an old print that had that scene in it.

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2012 07:34 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the Derann Super 8 feature Curse of Frankenstein prints had the close up of Cushing examining the eyeball that was cut in most negatives... so it can't be that rare, can it?! Sadly the head in the acid wasn't there and is replaced with a rather lame and obvious cutaway of co-star Robert Urquhart.

Didn't know that there was missing footage from The Reptile and Rasputin - hope they find them in time for the Blu-ray releases... so I don't have to buy everything twice (again)!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC