8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » When did you first see a Ray Harryhausen film?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: When did you first see a Ray Harryhausen film?
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 08, 2013 08:47 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the topic says it all.

I was very late in the "Ray" age, but I LOVED "Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger" and only after that, did I see the one with the battling skeletons, which floored me. I saw "Eye of the Tiger" in 35MM in the local movie theater, but saw the other one on 16MM at a festival showing shortlky after that, but I can't remember exactly where.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 08, 2013 09:10 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first Harryhausen film I saw was Jason and the Argonauts, at the Cinema. I particularly liked the Man of Bronze. Hercules was played by another favourite of mine Nigel Green, a rising star who died of accidental drink and medication. I would have loved this in Super 8, but the price was over £300. I have it on VHS, and DVD.

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted September 08, 2013 10:57 AM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"First Men in the Moon" when I was a young lad at my local Odeon. The real moon landing a little later was something of an anti climax after that. [Big Grin]

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 08, 2013 03:04 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
20 MILLIOM MILES TO EARTH was the first one I saw when it was release in the 50s. Then I saw MIGHTY JOE YOUNG . I thought it was real.  -
 -

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted September 09, 2013 05:45 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
JASON - 1963 - Baronet Theatre, Long Branch NJ

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 09, 2013 09:40 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw The first Men in the Moon, but without looking at IMDB, I couldn't say if it pre-dates Jason.

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 09, 2013 10:26 AM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember seeing Mysterious Island on it's initial run in 1961.

Thomas Murin, Jr.
Master Film Handler

- posted September 09, 2013 11:58 AM      Profile for Thomas Murin, Jr.   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Murin, Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember seeing 7th Voyage Of Sinbad on TV on a lazy weekend afternoon when I was a child.

I later saw Eye Of The Tiger and Clash Of The Titans in theaters on their respective releases.

Good movies and even better memories. [Cool]

--------------------
My crummy Deviant Art account. Read my poetic tribute to the internet comic strip Ozy & Millie and view my crappy attempts at art.

http://cougartiger.deviantart.com/

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 09, 2013 12:59 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"7th Voyage of Sinbad" on its original theatrical release.I was 7 or 8 then.

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 09, 2013 01:32 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone seen 'Jack the Giant Killer', some people think this is a Harryhausen film, as I did, as they used Dynamation, and 2 actors who had just appeared in a Harryhausen film. I believe there was a long court case over this film.

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 13, 2013 06:27 AM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched "Golden Voyage of Sinbad" in the cinema back in 1974. A year or so later they re -released "Seventh Voyage of Sinbad". As a kid, I wrongly thought that "Seventh" was a sequel.

As to "Jack the Giant Killer" I'm fortunate to have a print on Super 8. Pin sharp with stunning color.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2013 06:26 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first at the cinema would have to be "Jason And The Argonauts". It would be sometime in the early 70's I think I was at the Grammar school and the local cinema used to put matinees on during the school holidays. MAGIC

I proberly had seen some on TV before this, but don't remember them.

I also so "The Seventh Voyage Of Sinbad" around the same time, it could even been on a double bill with "Jason"

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Pete Richards
Master Film Handler

- posted October 10, 2013 10:08 PM      Profile for Pete Richards   Email Pete Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clash of the Titans at the drive-in when I was a kid. I was totally mesmerised. Jason and the Argonauts soon after I think, or it may have been Sinbad.

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 17, 2013 11:39 AM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"The 7th Voyage of Sinbad" Must have been about 1960 at a cinema in Dartford, now since demolished. My late 1st wife stumbled across the set when it was being filmed whilst on holiday in Majorca at a bay called La Colobra. Ken Finch.

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2013 03:02 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Golden Voyage of Sinbad. I remember my mother dropping me off alone to see the movie at a theater in Newport Rhode Island where she and I were visiting. She was happy to get rid of me for two hours... and I just remember being mesmerized from start to finish. I also remember starring at the zodiac style poster in the lobby waiting to be picked up. It must have been soon after that I was collecting all the Harryhausen stuff on 8mm. The Golden Voyage digests came out so soon after the theatrical release which was cool at the time.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC