8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » eBay prices (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: eBay prices
Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 04, 2015 03:58 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I think we could all live with that David if that was the set amount enforced by the auction company.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

|  IP: Logged

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 04, 2015 04:11 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If 16mm prints were as available as dvd's they would be cheap as chips. It's their scarcity that allows the money grabbers to up their prices and the must have it at any price brigade happy to pay them. Makes me all the more careful when I buy anything film related now. Sadly, the risks involve so many variables that I'd rather buy from someone I know than trust a seller who 'has no projector to try it on but the first 6" looks o.k.'

--------------------
Dave

Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted July 04, 2015 04:31 AM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just won two items,the seller stated that they combine P&P, now when I asked for total, e-Bay states this seller does not combine postage, in item description it states will combine postage. I have e-mailed seller twice now, no reply, I like to pay for items as soon as I win them, but this is just slowing down the whole process and makes the buyer look bad...Update it appears it's E-Bays fault, the dreaded error code 80016 this seller does not combine postage, but the seller do, it's E-bay that don't...

[ July 04, 2015, 11:50 AM: Message edited by: Steve Carter ]

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 04, 2015 09:14 AM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Steve,

This happened to me last year. Slightly different scenario in the sense that I was in Canada and the auction did not state shipping to Canada, but also did not say it was a country they would not ship to... so I bid...on 2 items.....and waited for the combined shipping invoice....one day...two day...email from me...three days, four days...another email saying 'what the heck'.....
I finally got a response that the seller did NOT know how to update the invoice to reflect two purchases.
Baloney!!!
It may be a shipping scam. What I would do is email/chat with ebay NOW...not complaining but stating the dilemma and asking their advice.. This way you are ON RECORD as having concern...in anticipation of an issue...If no issue ensues, you are golden.If not, you have a head start recorded!
In my case, I have 2 ebay accounts, both with 100+ purchases and 100% feedback so I was in command [Smile]
Anyways, turned out the seller rejected my purchase and said they would sell to someone else, and I said 'that's fine'...
I walked away although I could have caused more issue...it was only a couple films and I was happy to say goodbye to either a complete imbecile seller or liar...I am not sure which applies, but I am hopeful your purchase will work out better.
If you need ebays extremely 'hidden' and 'hard to reach' contact info, let me know....
Cheers,
Matt

PS: I like this thread and am happy to see people finally agree with my ebay concerns that the prices are way too high for movies and such!! I don't feel I am poor, nor cheap...just frugal, and I normally can determine when something is not worth what someone asks

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 04, 2015 10:01 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a gotcha!!! strategy sellers sometimes use:

-price seems great, but did you look at the shipping before you bid?

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2015 12:56 PM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Softly Softly 16mm on core, starting bid wait for it...£2,000.00 plus £34.60 P&P. I would want a certificate stating this is the only known print to exist in the World, missing episode found!, I worry because item location is 'Tracy Island'...
Softly Softly

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2015 02:33 PM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry Island. Yes. Canvey Island. Yes. Tracey Island? Not in my atlas. Is this a scam? The same seller also has a BBC 16/35mm film can at £20!! with no film. Yet another fortune hunter on the prowl. Now let's see who has £2000 burning a hole in their pocket.

--------------------
Dave

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2015 04:05 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And as Paul Vanesis has posted elsewhere, it may be the only film print but the BBC has a digibeta copy (though not filed on their system until very recently) from this print, so not the only copy.
The seller had recently purchased this on EBay for £750 and is now reselling, but as now known not to be the only copy the price is likely not to be met.

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted July 13, 2015 05:47 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This can't be worth the asking price?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-VINTAGE-AVO-FILM-ITALY-PINK-PANTHER-SUPER-8MM-FILM-MOVIE-MIB-/251250803877?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

I was expecting a 10 pack of Pink Panthers, but there's only one :-/ Insane or is it really rare? Mint in box, does that not mean box is also perfect?

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 14, 2015 03:24 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Not by the looks of things Vidar!

I have a few of these Italian Pink Panther prints myself, I didn't pay too much for any of them because although you can get some of the more unusual pink panther titles from this film company, the colour is often nowhere near as good as what it can be on the Walton prints of the Pink Panther titles.

Whether that is because they have more often than not spent most of their life in a hot place, I'm unsure.
But the colour on all of mine is only average and I purchased all of them from the UK.

Maybe the seller is trying to resolve the countries national debt crisis in one hit! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 14, 2015 04:00 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like rubbish to me Vidar, wouldn't MINT mean that it had never been projected?. How would the seller know this?

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 19, 2015 12:40 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say the sellers an idiot

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted July 19, 2015 08:28 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right now, it is a buyer's market for film on eBay, in general. Of course, there are exceptions. But I kick myself since I see what I paid, before ebay existed, for some prints.

Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted July 20, 2015 04:31 AM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There also seems to be a slight trend of films not running to the end of auction time and the seller with-drawing items because I guess they get PM's with offers, even when there is no best offer or BIN in listing, very underhand, you wait 9 days, only to see item with-drawn minutes before end of auction...

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 20, 2015 06:55 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
It can be frustrating Steve, I know, trouble is if the advertiser states that the goods are advertised elsewhere and therefore has the right to end the auction early, there is little to complain about I feel unless of course you yourself already has a bid on the item.

All I can say is that if it is an item you are wanting, get a bid in early doors rather than just watching an item through to the end. That way if an item does get pulled before auction end, we all have the right to complain to e bay.

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 20, 2015 11:44 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joseph I fully agree with you, it is a buyers market but this looney is showing a film which has a box which looks like its gone around block a few times so you have to question the film. If he started it at 9.99 and it went for 150 then that's fine but this start price is simply ridiculous. [Wink]

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 20, 2015 07:01 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 'Softly, Softly' episode is now a mere £1,000, perhaps the seller is reading this thread.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SOFTLY-SOFTLY-BBC-TV-1969-16mm-film-episode-/141720344062?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item20ff30d5fe

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted July 26, 2015 12:18 PM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a Beatles fan but this is ridiculous £255.00 for 400ft, makes me smile when they describe film as 'TAPE'...
Beatles in Tokyo

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 26, 2015 02:15 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like the "a bit red in places, but untested" piece of the description - I suppose it could mean he's seen it on a silent projector but it doesn't ring true to me.

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 26, 2015 02:23 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This concert was originally sold on two 400' reels. It does fit on one 600'(barely), but not on one 400', so it's not complete...

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 26, 2015 07:48 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think we have had a sticky topic for those silly ebay listings.

Please don't let this to be another one...enough to have one thing like this.

Perhaps moderatos can jump in please.

Cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted August 06, 2015 07:21 AM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just got a four reel feature, two reels no sound, as it's a charity seller I will let it pass, but I am becoming ever more frustrated with the quality of films sold...

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 06, 2015 07:28 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a real gamble Steve, unless you purchase from a dealer.
No guarantees then, but at least you can just give it them straight back if it is less than described or expected.

If It is a title you really want and you are paying good money for it, my advice is never buy anything where they cannot test it first. There are all too many ads now on e bay for films where it is being sold by individuals who rather conveniently "have nothing to project it with"... Yeah right!

Funny how they have dozens of films but nothing to show them on!

There are still quite a few known decent trusted sellers of films on e bay.

Their prices are usually considerably higher but this is a reflection of the quality of their films.

This I don't mind at all. In fact I would rather pay more for a film that I want, than face the hassle and disappointment of a film arriving that is not how it should be and then having to either send it back or haggle over the refunded amount etc.

--------------------

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted August 06, 2015 09:48 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is needed, and never will happen is a film guide consisting of general prices/condition and the rarity
on particular editions - Even this will not be adhered
to - If there is something a collector wants, they will
usually have to pay the price/shipping, negotiate with
the other party and work a mutual satisfaction. If the
film isn't described accurately; color stock, density,
and all, again one has to work it out with the seller.
Education helps, but isn't always the issue. How many
times on EBAY I've wanted to bid on a certain item and
it is described as "Mint", "Rare", One-Of-A-Kind", then
the seller isn't sure if it is a talkie or not - So, I
email and explain exactly what they have (A few times,
the other party didn't know what a "Complete Edition"
meant, or in the case of Blackhawk, what the coded label
had to mean) - Eastman color fades, however, many of the
CASTLE subjects still maintain some of the vibrant
spectrum - Digests are always thought of as "Scarce"
(I've heard tell), simply because they aren't manufactured any longer, well so is most everything else - Point is, any discrepency can be made right, and we can all learn something
in the long run - Shorty

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 06, 2015 11:26 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Take a look at this one -
I tried to explain that in that condition (covered in mould) and obviously stored in poor conditions and untested, that the price was too high. I suggested that he would be more likely to sell it with a Buy it Now price that he was asking, but with best offer as well, particularly as this was not the first time of listing it. The reply I got was typical of the young generation. I'm afraid this is more often the type of seller we are confronted with these days on eBay. It is a veritable minefield buying film and equipment on auction sites unless it is possible to view beforehand. Not only that look at the postage!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191650963541?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC